Amyris (501+ Employees, 18% 2 Yr Employee Growth Rate)
Amyris (Nasdaq: AMRS) is a science and technology leader in the research, development and production of sustainable ingredients for the Clean Health & Beauty and Flavors & Fragrances markets.
Amyris has developed an industry-leading platform for designing and building synthetic organisms. Our technology is being used today to make clean beauty products, bio-based renewable chemicals, and even vaccine ingredients. We are seeking a Director of Data who can own the data strategy across our business and support these cutting-edge, data-driven technologies.
The Director of Data Engineering has a primary responsibility of leading the data analytics and data engineering departments, overseeing all activities, and ensuring alignment with the business’s vision and objectives. The ideal candidate will be able to begin hand-on work immediately to address challenges in our data infrastructure, including scaling databases (esp. Postgres and SQL Warehouse), create the architecture for a new data warehouse, and oversee the optimization, monitoring, and continuous improvement of our data systems.
They will develop and implement a Data Strategy for Amyris. They will have the opportunity to build a data engineering team to manage our database administration, data processing, data security, and disaster recovery. They will work closely with stakeholders in R&D, DevOps, and our E-commerce business, and their role will contribute directly to Amyris’ ability to deliver on a data-driven approach to synthetic biology.
- Define and implement the Data Strategy for Amyris
- Driving implementation of data solutions, optimizing traditional RDBMS solutions, and developing modern cloud-based data architectures
- Work with Information Security to secure the data footprint and help develop a secure data strategy
- Oversee applications and integrations on large-scale data platforms (custom web applications running on Postgres and MS SQL, enterprise applications including SAP & NetSuite, data warehouses & data lakes, large-scale file storage) for reliability and scalability
- Supervise and maintain the shared services that redesign the data processing pipelines and our data warehouse
- Develop a cross functional Disaster Recovery and a Business Continuity Plan for the Amyris data footprint
- Engage with internal business stakeholders of all levels across the business, consult with them, and provide guidance for delivering and turning data into actionable information
- Build a data engineering team to scale these efforts across the company
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science, Information Technology, or related field – advanced degree or professional certifications a plus
- 10+ years experience; or equivalent combination of post-bachelor’s education and experience
- Proven experience as a data engineering lead and/or management role
- Motivated self-starter who can manage and prioritize multiple projects simultaneously with a positive, can-do attitude.
- Strong data analysis and problem-solving skills with a willingness to roll up one’s sleeves to get the job done.
- Ability to build and maintain strong relationships with business users, software developers, other cross-functional co-workers, and outside partners.
- Proficiency in SQL is required; python and java is preferred
- Ability to translate between technical and non-technical stakeholders
- Experience with hybrid (cloud/on-premise) data topologies is a must
- Experience designing data lake and data warehouse architectures, preferably using modern cloud solutions
- Hands-on experience implementing data transformation (ETL/ELT, etc.) best practices at scale, preferably using modern cloud solutions
- Have a deep understanding of SQL and database architecture
- Experience with both open source and off the shelf technologies
- Exceptional English communication skills, both written and verbal. This includes listening skills and an open attitude toward constructive feedback.
- Ability to work both with a global team and individually
At Amyris, we believe that diversity, equity, inclusion, and belonging (DEIB) is essential to our core values. We embrace and encourage an equity-minded work culture, knowing that it is the driving force of innovation that positively impacts our employees, consumers, and communities. And for Amyris, a sense of belonging is what drives our mission forward and is the foundation of everything we do, ensuring a healthier, more sustainable future for us all.
Amyris, a leader in industrial synthetic biology, uses its innovative bioscience solutions to achieve renewable products by converting plant sugars into hydrocarbon molecules. Amyris’ molecules are used in wide range of specialty & performance chemicals, flavors & fragrances and in applications ranging from cosmetics to biofuels. Learn more at www.amyris.com.
Under the California Consumer Privacy Act of 2018 (“CCPA”), Amyris is required to inform California residents who are our job applicants (“Applicants”) about the personal information we collect about you when you apply to a job on this site.
As an Applicant, you have the right to know and understand the categories of personal information we collect about you, and the purposes for which the categories of personal information shall be used, pursuant to the CCPA.
By clicking the “APPLY FOR THIS JOB” button below and submitting your job application, you agree you have reviewed the complete Privacy Notice for Employees, Independent Contractors and Job Applicants.
If you have any questions regarding this information, please contact Amyris at [email protected]
As a VEVRAA Federal Contractor, Amyris is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, sex, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. Amyris complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment.
If you are a recruiter or placement agency, please do not submit resumes to any person or email address at Amyris, Inc. prior to having a signed agreement. Amyris is not liable for and will not pay placement fees for candidates submitted by any agency other than its approved recruitment partners. Furthermore, any resumes sent to us without an agreement in place will be considered your company’s gift to Amyris and may be forwarded to our recruiters for their attention.