Allstate (501+ Employees, 7% 2 Yr Employee Growth Rate)
The world isn’t standing still, and neither is Allstate. We’re moving quickly, looking across our businesses and brands and taking bold steps to better serve customers’ evolving needs. That’s why now is an exciting time to join our team. You’ll have opportunities to take risks, challenge the status quo and shape the future for the greater good.
You’ll do all this in an environment of excellence and the highest ethical standards – a place where values such as integrity, inclusive diversity and accountability are paramount. We empower every employee to lead, drive change and give back where they work and live. Our people are our greatest strength, and we work as one team in service of our customers and communities.
Everything we do at Allstate is driven by a shared purpose: to protect people from life’s uncertainties so they can realize their hopes and dreams. For more than 89 years we’ve thrived by staying a step ahead of whatever’s coming next – to give customers peace of mind no matter what changes they face. We acted with conviction to advocate for seat belts, air bags and graduated driving laws. We help give survivors of domestic violence a voice through financial empowerment. We’ve been an industry leader in pricing sophistication, telematics, digital photo claims and, more recently, device and identity protection. We are the Good Hands. We don’t follow the trends. We set them.
The Big Data Engineer is responsible for driving multiple tracks of work to deliver Big Data solutions enabling advanced data science and analytics. The individual works with the team on new Big Data systems for analyzing data; the coding & development of advanced analytics solutions to make/optimize business decisions and processes; integrating new tools to improve descriptive, predictive, and prescriptive analytics; and discovery of new technical challenges that can be solved with existing and emerging Big Data hardware and software solutions.
- Executes complex functional work tracks for the team
- Partners closely with team members on Big Data solutions for our data science community and analytic users
- Leverages and uses Big Data best practices/lessons learned to develop technical solutions used for descriptive analytics, ETL, predictive modeling, and prescriptive “real time decisions” analytics
- Participate in the development of complex technical solutions using Big Data techniques in data & analytics processes
- Participates in the development of complex prototypes and department applications that integrate big data and advanced analytics to make business decisions
- Uses new areas of Big Data technologies, (ingestion, processing, and distribution) and research delivery methods that can solve business problems
- Manages various Big Data analytic tool development projects with mid-size teams
- Executes on Big Data requests to improve the accuracy, quality, completeness, speed of data, and decisions made from Big Data analysis
- Uses, learns, teaches, and supports a wide variety of Big Data and Data Science tools to achieve results (i.e., R, ETL Tools, Hadoop, and others)
- Uses, learns, teaches, and supports a wide variety of programming languages on Big Data and Data Science work (i.e. Java, C#, Python, and Perl)
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent
- 3 or more years of related experience
- Experience in using software development to drive data science & analytic efforts
- Experience with database & ETL concepts
- Experience with various data types (e.g. Relational, Unstructured, Hierarchical, and Linked “Graph” Data)
- Experience in developing, managing, and manipulating complex datasets
- Experience in working with statistical software such as SAS, SPSS, MATLAB, R, CART, etc.
- Proven ability to code and develop prototypes in languages such as Python, Perl, Java, C, R, SQL, XSLT
- Understanding of predictive modeling techniques, a plus
Compensation offered for this role is and is based on experience and qualifications.
The candidate(s) offered this position will be required to submit to a background investigation, which includes a drug screen.
Good Work. Good Life. Good Hands®.
As a Fortune 100 company and industry leader, we provide a competitive salary – but that’s just the beginning. Our Total Rewards package also offers benefits like tuition assistance, medical and dental insurance, as well as a robust pension and 401(k). Plus, you’ll have access to a wide variety of programs to help you balance your work and personal life — including a generous paid time off policy. For a full description of Allstate’s benefits, visit allstate.jobs/benefits/
Allstate generally does not sponsor individuals for employment-based visas for this position.
Effective July 1, 2014, under Indiana House Enrolled Act (HEA) 1242, it is against public policy of the State of Indiana and a discriminatory practice for an employer to discriminate against a prospective employee on the basis of status as a veteran by refusing to employ an applicant on the basis that they are a veteran of the armed forces of the United States, a member of the Indiana National Guard or a member of a reserve component.
For jobs in San Francisco, please click “here” for information regarding the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
For jobs in Los Angeles, please click “here” for information regarding the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance.
To view the “EEO is the Law” poster click “here“. This poster provides information concerning the laws and procedures for filing complaints of violations of the laws with the Office of Federal Contract Compliance Programs
To view the FMLA poster, click “here“. This poster summarizing the major provisions of the Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA) and telling employees how to file a complaint.
It is the Company’s policy to employ the best qualified individuals available for all jobs. Therefore, any discriminatory action taken on account of an employee’s ancestry, age, color, disability, genetic information, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual and reproductive health decision, marital status, medical condition, military or veteran status, national origin, race (include traits historically associated with race, including, but not limited to, hair texture and protective hairstyles), religion (including religious dress), sex, or sexual orientation that adversely affects an employee’s terms or conditions of employment is prohibited. This policy applies to all aspects of the employment relationship, including, but not limited to, hiring, training, salary administration, promotion, job assignment, benefits, discipline, and separation of employment.