Coinbase (501+ Employees, 252% 2 Yr Employee Growth Rate)
We’re Coinbase. We’re the world’s most trusted way to join the crypto revolution, serving more than 89 million accounts in more than 100 countries.
Our mission is to increase economic freedom around the world, and we couldn’t do this without hiring the best people. We’re a group of hard-working overachievers who are deeply focused on building the future of finance and Web 3.0 for our users across the globe, whether they’re trading, storing, staking or using crypto. Know those people who always lead the group project? That’s us.
There are a few things we look for across all hires we make at Coinbase, regardless of role or team. First, we look for candidates who will thrive in a culture like ours, where we default to trust, embrace feedback, and disrupt ourselves. Second, we expect all employees to commit to our mission-focused approach to our work. Finally, we seek people who are excited to learn about and live crypto, because those are the folks who enjoy the intense moments in our sprint and recharge work culture. We’re a remote-first company looking to hire the absolute best talent all over the world.
Ready to #LiveCrypto? Who you are:
- You’ve got positive energy. You’re optimistic about the future and determined to get there.
- You’re never tired of learning. You want to be a pro in bleeding edge tech like DeFi, NFTs, DAOs, and Web 3.0.
- You appreciate direct communication. You’re both an active communicator and an eager listener – because let’s face it, you can’t have one without the other. You’re cool with candid feedback and see every setback as an opportunity to grow.
- You can pivot on the fly. Crypto is constantly evolving, so our priorities do, too. What you worked on last month may not be what you work on today, and that excites you. You’re not looking for a boring job.
- You have a “can do” attitude. Our teams create high-quality work on quick timelines. Owning a problem doesn’t scare you, but rather empowers you to take 100% responsibility for achieving our mission.
- You want to be part of a winning team. We’re stronger together, and you’re a person who embraces being pushed out of your comfort zone.
As the Chief of Staff to the Chief Security Officer (CSO) at Coinbase, you’ll work directly for the CSO and work closely with the Security leadership team to help mature and scale Coinbase’s Security Program. You will define and execute the rhythm of the Security organization in partnership with the CSO. You will collaborate cross-functionally to develop and manage strategic planning, risk management, and investment prioritization, enabling the business. You will serve as a critical partner for Security leaders and other key stakeholders on ad hoc projects ranging from developing key security talent through career development programs and mentoring to enabling risk based business decision making. This role requires a business savvy, highly resourceful, self-driven individual with the ability to partner, execute, and lead through influence.
What you’ll be doing (ie. job duties):
- Be an advisor and thought partner to the CSO, and be able to stand-in during meetings, take key actions and speak on behalf of the CSO.
- Run the “rhythm of the business” and helping to facilitate its execution wherever possible (e.g. quarterly planning, OKRs, and resource management).
- Drive strategic initiatives and/or discrete projects on behalf of the CSO and Security leadership team.
- Build a shared team understanding of prioritization balancing business priorities and security risk – Figure out which fires are burning, prioritize them quickly, and figure out which to put out first!
- Guide the security team towards clear and efficient strategy.
- Support the CSO in setting overall communication strategy, planning of events and help align communications.
- Identify and resolve XFN alignment issues and gaps with actionable, data-guided recommendations. Create systems and processes that will avoid such problems in the future.
What we look for in you (ie. job requirements):
- 10+ years of experience in security, engineering, program management or similar role with broad exposure to strategic planning and execution.
- Outstanding communication skills, including experience refining the leadership messaging and ensuring ideas are understood by the right audiences.
- Organized, thorough, and able to drive prioritization across a complex and dynamic security landscape.
- Well-developed project-management skills, with demonstrated ability to lead complex strategic and operational initiatives.
- Excellent understanding of security best practices (i.e. breadth vs depth).
- Exceptional attention to detail; follows up consistently to ensure the right results.
- A bias to action and a mentality that no job is too big or too small to be done the right way; knows when to “roll up one’s sleeves” to achieve the right outcomes.
- Ability to think strategically from first principles while managing with a sense of urgency through ambiguities.
Nice to haves:
- Proven business savvy, including an understanding of the marketplace, competitors, and technology and requirements for sustained operating results.
- Experience working in a high security and/or highly regulated industry.
- Experience organizational scaling/transformation.
- Deep security understanding in a relevant domain (e.g. Application Security)
Notice for Colorado applicants as required by sb19-085 (8-5-20). Target annual salary for this role performed in Colorado, is $280,000 + target bonus + target equity + benefits (including medical, dental, vision and 401(k)).
Please note that for employees based in the US, Philippines, Canada or Singapore, if your role requires you to be present in a Coinbase office or if you choose to be physically present in a Coinbase office or sponsored location, you will be required to be fully vaccinated from COVID-19 (as defined by applicable law). If you receive an offer, you will receive additional information about the grounds and process for an exemption.
Commitment to Equal Opportunity
Coinbase is committed to diversity in its workforce and is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sex, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation or any other basis protected by applicable law. Coinbase will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with applicable federal, state and local law. For US applicants, you may view Pay Transparency, Employee Rights and Equal Employment Opportunity is the Law notices by clicking on their corresponding links. Additionally, Coinbase participates in the E-Verify program in certain locations, as required by law.
Coinbase is also committed to providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation because of a disability for any part of the employment process, please send an e-mail to accommodations[at]coinbase.com and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information. For quick access to screen reading technology compatible with this site click here to download a free compatible screen reader (free step by step tutorial can be found here).
Global Data Privacy Notice for Job Candidates and Applicants
Depending on your location, the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) and California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) may regulate the way we manage the data of job applicants. Our full notice outlining how data will be processed as part of the application procedure for applicable locations is available here. By submitting your application, you are agreeing to our use and processing of your data as required.