Aware Healthcare (1-10 Employees, N/A 2 Yr Employee Growth Rate)
TL;DR: Fast-growing mental health tech startup seeking a scrappy business operations generalist with 4+ years of experience and 2+ years of management at an early-stage, high-growth startup. In this role, you’ll be the right-hand to our Founder & CEO, AJ Goldstein, as one of the first 5 employees at a fully-funded and commercially-flourishing startup. Together, we’ll reinvent therapy and change the mental health of millions. Details below!
Aware Healthcare is turning therapy from an art to a science. We’re a venture-backed startup, on a mission to create the highest quality mental health care franchise in the world.
Every day, 100 million Americans struggle with a mental health issue, yet only 10% are receiving care based on science. That’s why we’re building a new mental health care system driven by data, where patients receive individualized care, clinicians deliver proven treatments, and insurance pays for outcomes not sessions.
While the rest of our industry is optimizing for quantity, we are laser focused on quality. Leveraging our data platform, we recently landed contracts with 6 of the top 7 insurance companies, which unlock access to 111M Americans and pay higher rates than any competitor.
We have raised $5.7mm from top executives at Google, PayPal, Lyft, and AirBnB and investors who previously funded Square, Instacart, Twilio, GrubHub, StitchFix, OpenDoor, and SpaceX. We were founded in 2020 by AJ Goldstein (previously early at Calm and Oura) and are based in Los Angeles CA. You can learn more about Aware here: https://www.awarehc.com/
About the Founder:
AJ Goldstein is the Founder and CEO of Aware Healthcare. Prior to Aware, AJ founded and ran a six-figure profitable AI consulting group called Conscious Insights, where he helped grow 8 early-stage startups into leading digital health brands over 3 years, including Calm, Oura, and Akili. While running Conscious Insights, AJ founded and hosted a popular data science podcast called Data Journeys, where he interviewed 25 world class data scientists from 13 organizations with over $1B in annual revenue and grew a following of 50k+ in 128 countries. Motivated by his own personal experience with the problem, AJ has committed the next decade of his life to creating a new mental health care system with Aware. You can read AJ’s story behind Aware here: https://www.awarehc.com/founders-story
About the Role:
- Title: Chief of Staff to the CEO
- Location: Los Angeles (preferred) or Remote
- Type: Full-Time
We’re looking for a business operations generalist to help reinvent therapy.
As one of the first 5 employees at our fully-funded and commercially-flourishing startup, you’ll serve as the right-hand person to our Founder & CEO, AJ Goldstein; helping to both amplify his efforts and function as a thought partner on a diverse set of challenges.
The role of Chief of Staff has been given various definitions, but at Aware it can be broken down very simply: creatively solve any problem that is thrown your way with a bias toward efficiency and an executive mindset. On any given day, you might find yourself launching new initiatives, taking them from 0 to 1, consulting on various projects throughout the company, joining (and leading) meetings with the CEO and other executives, and much much more.
This role is for someone who:
- Prefers hands-on execution >> to >> big-picture strategy.
- Is more of a rapid-fire do-er >> than a >> slow methodical thinker.
- Is more of a scrappy hustler >> than an >> executive manager.
This will be a senior role within the company, and a career-defining role for the right person.
- Work side-by-side with the CEO as his right-hand.
- Help manage operations, human resources, finance, legal, and accounting.
- Be simultaneously the most multi-faceted and detail-oriented person in the company.
- Regularly switch between strategic and tactical, and make connections between the two.
- Serving as a “hands-on polymath” by constantly learning new things quickly and contributing wherever it is the organization needs you most that day or week.
- Serving as a “systems thinker” by establishing standard operating procedures (e.g. toolkits, handbooks, checklists) to ensure a quality and uniform experience for our customers.
- Serving as a “force multiplier” by proactively identifying inefficiencies and developing solutions to expand organizational effectiveness (time/attention/resources/information).
- Serving as a “trusted advisor” by listening with an open-mind, asking provocative questions, pressure-testing decisions, and providing divergent points-of-view.
- Serving as an “air-traffic controller” by ensuring that communication is smooth across the company and everyone feels happy, resourced, and satisfied in their roles.
- Experience at an early-stage startup, on a high-performing and fast-growing team.
- 4+ years of working experience, primarily in biz ops and/or people ops roles.
- 2+ years of experience managing direct reports.
- 1+ years of experience hiring and firing.
Ideally, you have the right…
- Prior experience in healthcare (preferred, not required).
- Think like a business operator.
- Are more of a generalist than a specialist.
- Believe that nothing is below you and anything is possible.
- Have been described as a “very fast learner” and “surprisingly resourceful”.
- Are a relentless and creative problem solver who “finds a way no matter what”.
- Can operate in ambiguous situations, at fast speeds, and with lots of self-direction.
- Are a highly-empathetic, agreeable, and patient listener who makes others feel heard.
- Come across as warm, trustworthy, and relatable to people of all backgrounds.
- Naturally find yourself thinking about others, their needs, and what you can do to help.
- Are meticulously detail-oriented and organized.
- Have the ability to juggle many priorities at once while not dropping any balls.
- Can quickly go from 0% to 80% knowledge on a new subject, in a matter of days.
- Love the experience of autonomy, mastery, and purpose that comes with joining a fast-growing startup and working side-by-side with the CEO.
Why This Role?
This position will provide an incredible opportunity to learn and grow, while saving the lives and changing the mental health of millions in the process.
- You will learn first-hand how a rapidly growing company is built, run, and scaled.
- Since the role will constantly change based on the needs of the company, you will have your hand in almost every part of the business at some point.
- And when your time as Chief of Staff is done, we’ll work closely with you to figure out the best next step for your career, whether it’s at Aware or somewhere else.
- Mission-driven company with an industry-shaping goal and world-class team.
- Opportunity to make a significant difference on the future of mental health.
- High-growth environment supportive of individual autonomy, mastery, and purpose.
- 100% coverage of premium medical/dental/vision insurance starting your first day.
- One-of-a-kind company values and team work culture.
- Competitive salary, equity, and benefits.
- Flexible vacation and time-off policy.
- For more information visit: www.awarehc.com/careers
- Growth: We believe it is not where we are, but where we are headed, that matters. We are always improving and never complacent; eager to reflect on and learn from our mistakes.
- Relentless: We pride ourselves on persistence, creatively push the limits of what is possible, and ‘find a way no matter what’ after others have given up.
- Quality First: We choose quality over speed every day of the week. Because we care deeply about the people we serve, we meticulously craft every detail of our patient experience.
- First Principles: We think from first principles, not by analogy. We curiously question and scientifically test assumptions to arrive at more creative solutions.
- Data Driven: We see numbers as a currency for trust. Whenever possible, we use them in place of words to create shared understanding and make objective decisions.
- Radical Candor: We embrace difficult conversations, communicate openly what we are thinking and feeling, and build trust through transparency with one another.
If you’re interested in working with us, we’d love to hear from you! We encourage you to apply even if your experience doesn’t precisely match the job description.
At Aware, we know employing a team rich in diverse thoughts, experiences, and opinions allows our employees, our product and our community to flourish. Aware is an equal opportunity workplace. We are dedicated to equal employment opportunities regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, gender, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status.