Vygo (51-200 Employees, 2 Yr Employee Growth Rate)
Chief of Staff
- Job Title: Chief of Staff
- Package: Combination of competitive base salary + ESOP (negotiable – based on location and experience)
- Location: Remote
Vygo believes that every human deserves a world-class education and that social experience is at the core of impactful learning. For learners, the Vygo platform organises their institution’s ecosystem of mentors, advisors, tutors and other social support services at their fingertips. Vygo is working with universities around the globe that are pushing social education experiences into the future.
Our fast-growing Pre-Series A ed-tech startup is on a mission to champion all learners (Mission video here). We are rapidly scaling our international footprint to get us into the perfect position to take on the North American market after a killer Series A. Our CEO, Ben Hallett, is looking for a Chief of Staff to work directly with him to design an organisation capable of executing our big vision.
The Chief of Staff is the CEO’s right-hand person and force multiplier. This can mean many things depending on the company’s needs and will change over time. The key priorities right now on the CEO’s plate are: (1) Design and implement excellent strategy, (2) Oversee and maintain a good leadership team, (3) Secure Series A fundraising to enable further rapid growth and (4) build and maintain high leverage relationships.
Here are a few examples of what you might work on:
- Strategic planning: organise and execute OKR and quarterly planning processes at quarterly offsites.
- Manage priorities: review and synthesise metrics/initiatives to support company priority setting.
- Leadership Team
- Internal operations: run fortnightly management and executive meetings, support board meeting preparation, and create decision-making frameworks.
- Investors: maintain existing investor relationships, create monthly reports and uphold reporting obligations.
- Series A: help the CEO strategise, prepare for and execute our Series A funding round.
- Financial forecasting: own the financial model, work with Vygo’s third party accounting team, conduct the annual budgeting process and assist with forecasting future scenarios.
- Spearhead special projects: lead a metrics overhaul, do customer research on an adjacent business opportunity, run an acquisition process, and oversee the search for an executive hire.
Ben is currently being coached by the legendary CEO Coach, Matt Mochary (Coach to CEO’s Reddit, Coinbase, Robinhood etc.), you can listen to the story of this coaching on Spotify. Matt’s description of the role has significantly shaped Vygo’s expectations for the position.
Vygo radically improves the way universities deliver and manage support programs for their students. Students can discover, join, and participate in programs ranging from 1st-year orientation to counselling through our web and mobile apps. Students are matched with support and join in 1:1 or group text, video or face-to-face sessions and events.
Your work will directly have a positive impact on the lives of students and learners across the globe. We constantly have good stories from our students about how our platform has improved their university experience. If you care about making a difference and seeing the results, Vygo is for you.
Hear from Ben, our CEO, about what it’s like to work at Vygo and why we’re growing our team.
Here are some of the great things about working at Vygo:
- Remote first and results-oriented – it’s about the outcome, not output. You can work anywhere in the world you want; if you’re willing to overlap at least 3 hours with the CEO (~AEST 8 am-5 pm).
- Flexible working – we pride ourselves on flexibility and one way we do this is through Flexible Friday, which is a day of no internal meetings, meaning you can use the day in the way that best suits you (a picnic with friends, upskilling or getting through some deep work).
- Committed to diversity and inclusion – Our generous 20 week paid parental (for all genders) leave policy, is one of the many ways in which we support DEI policies.
- A partner for your career growth – We take growth seriously and want to support you. Every employee is given a development stipend to spend on books, courses, seminars, events – anything you want!
- A phenomenal team culture – We may be remote, but that doesn’t mean we don’t have a ping-pong championship! All employees are given virtual reality headsets as one of the many ways that our team can make and maintain genuine connections through regular laser tag, dodgeball and mini-golf hangouts. Our Culture Amp engagement results consistently place us in the top 10% of remote workplaces. We are a team dedicated to making a difference and getting results, and we’ll get there together.
- You are excited about hustling at a start up and ready to ride the rollercoaster with a front row seat.
- You believe in Vygo’s mission and are excited to champion it.
- You have broad strategic business knowledge, including startup knowledge and a good understanding of capital raising.
- You have a growth mindset and are keen to contribute massive value ideas that progress company objectives.
- With strong attention to detail, you can assertively execute all kinds of tasks and opportunities tactically, adaptably and strategically.
- You have exceptional organisational skills, with the ability to prioritise, plan and motivate a team of leaders in a very agile manner.
- You can confidently manage employees and upward manage supervisors, providing radical candour and optimising for excellence.
- You have a love for proactively learning new skills quickly.
- You have exceptional written, presentation, and verbal English communication skills that can be applied across organisational levels, countries and cultures.
- You are comfortable using Excel/Google Sheets.
- You have a proven track record of developing effective partnerships across groups and possess the ability to influence senior managers. You are the type of person who rapidly gains and builds the trust and confidence of internal and external stakeholders.
- You can maintain good judgment and remain tenacious in fast-paced, high-stress environments.
- You are proactive, forward-thinking and able to effectively and quickly synthesise disparate information into clear recommendations, actions and decisions.
- You care deeply about the future of education.
- 3+ years in a high-performance environment, whether consulting, banking, technology or a high growth startup.
- Fundraising experience is a plus but not essential.
Please contact our current Chief of Staff, Ashlee Chapman, with any questions or apply now!
Note: Applications will close May 31