Roote (1-10 Employees, N/A 2 Yr Employee Growth Rate)
I. What is Roote?
- Our educational hub runs the Roote Fellowship, a podcast, and a newsletter.
- Our startup studio launches Roote Projects, ambitious projects which catalyze systems-level change for a wiser world. Web3 & Society is a Roote Project.
II. Role Overview
Web3 is both the next wave of the Internet and the first new type of money in centuries. It couples the culture of the Internet to money and enables large-scale decentralized human coordination.
It’s a really really big deal.
You will lead Web3 & Society. You will be responsible for fundraising, network-building, hiring, and strategy. Your north star: what value can you provide today so that in 2050 we look back and say “We did Web3 right.”
There’s no Electronic Frontier Foundation for Web3. You will build this (as Web3 & Society) in a community-first, digitally-native, ethical way.
If you’re interested in leading something new that will maximize your rate-of-learning, please apply!
What You’ll Do
Find, validate, and scale ideas that could be impactful for Web3.
- Voraciously consume information and network with folks to learn how things work, what people think, and what’s coming next in Web3. You will go to 3-10 crypto events each year and will engage with different niches of the Web3 Twitter community:
- BTC, ETH, etc.
- VCs, policymakers, and founders
- DAOs, NFTs, and DeFi
- Validate possible Web3 & Society initiatives by testing demand from relevant audiences like funders and customers, and gauging venture feasibility by doing R&D and quickly building MVPs.
- Launch and scale Web3 & Society initiatives by raising funding to do them and hiring excellent people to run them.
You will do all of this in a network-first way: by building community and collaborating with existing communities. For some idea of our vision, check out the Web3 and Society website.
After 1 year, success looks like: you’ve raised $5M for Web3 & Society across 10+ strategic partners, have 10+ employees working on initiatives, and have 100+ invested folks in a Web3 & Society DAO.
After 3 years, success looks like: society is enthusiastically optimistic about Web3’s impact. You have $50M in annual run rate across the community and have progressively decentralized Web3 & Society through a #DeThics network with 10,000+ members
You May Be a Fit if You
- Have been green pilled and are excited by the future of Web3. You don’t need to already be working in Web3, but you need to have conviction that in 2050, Web3 is Society.
- Want to build community in Web3.
- Have created apps, startups, or communities from scratch. (Or just want to do so!)
- Thrive in uncertainty. You enjoy creating certainty from uncertainty.
- Have a strong bias toward concrete action. You should often ask: “Why can’t this be done sooner?”
- Have a strong bias towards ambition. You should often ask: “Is this the most ambitious plan we could come up with?”
Even if not all of these apply to you, we’d still love to consider your application, particularly if you’d like to learn more of these. Studies show that you can be considered for a role even if many listed qualifications don’t apply to you. A real human evaluates all applications holistically.Why You Might Be Excited About Us
- You get to be weird and creative. This is not a traditional VC firm, tech company, online school, or academic research hub.
- You want to work with us. Here is our team. And here are our How to Work With Me Manuals.
- We have a great network. You want to work with global leaders and ambitious frontier people.
- You are aligned with Roote’s guiding mission and values.
- We have an extremely flexible leave policy and provide benefits including full health, dental, and vision coverage.
Time Expectation: Start as soon as possible.
Location: We are a remote-first org based in the SF Bay Area. If you’re in SF, we’d work in the office together a few days a week. If you’re not here, we have regular offsites. We anticipate that this role will probably be based in the US, but don’t let that stop you from applying.
Compensation: This is a founding role, so the starting salary is $70,000/year. We expect to increase the salary as we grow.
- Health Care Plan (Medical, Dental & Vision)
- Retirement Plan (401k, IRA)
- Paid Time Off (Vacation, Sick & Public Holidays)
- Family Leave (Maternity, Paternity)
- Short Term & Long Term Disability
- Training & Development
- Work From Home
- Wellness Resources