1Password (501+ Employees, 307% 2 Yr Employee Growth Rate)
Over 100,000 businesses and millions of people use 1Password to protect their most important information, and we believe those people – and the companies they work for – shouldn’t have to choose between security and productivity. We see security as a human challenge, rather than a technological one. It’s hard work, but our mission has always been to ease the tension between security and convenience and help people navigate the digital world without fear or friction. Human-centric security is part of our DNA, but human-centricity is also the backbone of our culture. We encourage big ideas and new ways of working that help us to make the online world a safer place for everyone.
Reporting to the Senior Commercial Counsel, the Commercial Legal Counsel proactively advises internal clients and provides support to 1Password on a variety of legal matters such as contracts, marketing and legal and regulatory compliance; working collaboratively with employees and stakeholders on 1Password’s wide-ranging legal needs.
This is a remote opportunity within Canada and the US, but the successful candidate will generally be expected to work Eastern Time Zone working hours.
What we're looking for:
- A Juris Doctorate or equivalent degree, with state (or provincial) bar membership
- Relevant in-house experience providing legal support to sales, product, marketing and advertising teams at a SaaS company
- 4-6 years experience practicing (combination of in-house and at a law firm), negotiating commercial transactions and drafting commercial agreements
- Business acumen and ability to build relationships across the business, while collaborating cross-functionally with a variety of teams
- Outstanding communication skills, written and verbal, and ability to work both in teams and independently.
- Strong interpersonal and organizational skills and a demonstrated ability to effectively and proactively provide sound legal advice and exercise good business judgment
- Knowledge of basic data privacy laws and practices within the SaaS industry
- Comfortable with ambiguity and a fast-paced culture, with a practical, solutions-oriented focus
- Creative thinker who can initiate and develop alternative approaches to complex issues
- Able to handle many projects simultaneously, to manage tight deadlines, and to prioritize effectively
What you can expect:
- Work within and manage workflows of legal documents within the contract lifecycle management (CLM) tool
- Support Go to Market (GtM) enablement and Partnerships team to help them achieve their monthly and quarterly objectives and meet tight deadlines
- Closely work with the contracts manager to draft, negotiate, review, redline and interpret the various commercial documents, such as but not limited to the NDAs, MSAs, addendums, partnerships agreements, data processing agreements or other commercial agreements
- Advise on a variety of legal issues related to GtM, marketing, advertising, privacy and intellectual property, as required from time to time
- Work with the legal ops specialist to implement processes and procedures to improve legal team’s commercial transactions workflows
- Provide support to the legal team to achieve its key performance objectives or objectives and key results
Bonus points for:
- Spoken and written French language skills
- Experience with quarterly SaaS sales cycles
- More extensive experience with GDPR, CCPA and other privacy regulations
What we offer:
We believe in working hard, and resting hard. We’re always looking for new ways to support our team members, but here’s a glance at what we currently offer:
Health and wellbeing
> Maternity and parental leave top up programs
> Wellness spending account
> Generous PTO policy
> Company-wide wellness days off scheduled throughout the year
> Complimentary Headspace membership
> Comprehensive health coverage
Growth and future
> Employee stock option program for all full time employees
> Retirement matching program
> Training budget, 1Password University access, and learning sessions
> Free 1Password account (and friends and family discount!)
> A You Need A Budget membership
Flexibility and community
> Paid volunteer days
> Employee-led DEI&B programs and ERGs
> Fully remote environment
> Peer-to-peer recognition through Bonusly
You belong here.
1Password is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to fostering an inclusive, diverse and equitable workplace that is built on trust, support and respect. We welcome all individuals and do not discriminate on the the basis of gender identity and expression, race, ethnicity, disability, sexual orientation, colour, religion, creed, gender, national origin, age, marital status, pregnancy, sex, citizenship, education, languages spoken or veteran status. Be yourself, find your people and share the things you love.
Accommodation is available upon request at any point during our recruitment process. If you require an accommodation, please speak to your talent acquisition partner or email us at [email protected] and we’ll work to meet your needs.
Candidate Privacy Notice
When you apply for a position, refer a candidate, or are being considered for a role at AgileBits, Inc. (dba 1Password, 1Password, we, us, or our), your information is stored in Lever, in accordance with Lever's Service Privacy Notice.
When we have no ongoing legitimate business need to process your information, we will either delete or anonymize it. If you have any questions about how we use or process your information, or if you would like to ask to access, correct, or delete your information, please contact our privacy team at [[email protected]] or through 1Password Support.