Internews (501+ Employees, 2 Yr Employee Growth Rate)
ABOUT THE PROJECT
The Rooted in Trust project works to combat COVID-19 rumors and misinformation in Afghanistan, Lebanon, Iraq, Zimbabwe, Colombia, Brazil, Mali, DRC, Sudan, and South Sudan. We work to create impact at the local level and inform approaches to rumor management at the global level. The project is supported by a Global Technical Advisory team made up of media, humanitarian, data science and information management experts.
In Sudan, Internews Rooted in Trust project tracks COVID-19-related rumors and misinformation among conflict-affected and displaced communities, including on social media platforms, and through face-to-face discussions with community members. this regular feedback collection aims to inform and influence risk communication and community engagement (RCCE) efforts by humanitarian and public health actors, and to support local media in disseminating accurate and actionable information that responds to communities’ COVID-19 information needs.
In Phase 1 of the project, we collected more than 19 thousand rumors in 14 languages and supported more than 30 local trusted information providers. In this critical phase of the pandemic, we will build on these efforts to listen and respond to the information challenges faced by vulnerable groups in humanitarian contexts, encouraging open dialogue between citizens and scientists and stronger and more collaborative partnerships between information providers (such as local media) and humanitarian and health sources.
ABOUT THE OPPORTUNITY
The Content Creator for Rooted in Trust Sudan will generate multimedia content for social media, traditional media and humanitarian agencies to distribute in response to information needs identified by the project team. Content Creators may create text, audio, video, infographic, data visualization, or other formats of accurate and targeted “news you can use” for the affected population most at risk for spreading false health information or engaging in behaviors that increase risks for themselves and their communities.
This is a remote-based position. Preference will be given to candidates with demonstrable knowledge of the Sudanese context. Candidates based anywhere in the world will be considered. However, you must have work authorization in your location that does not require sponsorship from Internews. Additionally, there are locations in which Internews is not able to support fully remote work.
Wherever possible, we work to try to find solutions for international hiring that work for both the company and the candidate. This means that some of the particulars around the offer for a role will be dependent on several factors, and that the benefits and salary structure that apply to a position will be based upon the candidate’s location and where the role is hired.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis, so interested candidates are encouraged to apply soon.
This is a limited duration position with an anticipated end date in December 2022.
OUR COMMITMENT TO FOSTERING A CULTURE OF BELONGING
We are an organization of dynamic, mission-driven individuals who are passionate about our core values and about supporting positive change in the world. We pride ourselves on our commitment to innovation and flexibility. We believe that diverse teams are strong teams and work to support an ethic of belonging, dignity, and justice for all people. Our current team includes a mix of genders, parents, and non-parents, and people of multiple races, nationalities, ages, sexual orientations and socio-economic backgrounds. We are EEO employer and encourage candidates of all races, genders, ages, orientations, ethnicities, and national origins to apply, and welcome those with alternative backgrounds and experiences.
DAY-TO-DAY TASKS will include:
- Create relevant content in multiple formats, including text, audio, video, infographic, data visualization, or other forms;
- Align content with insights and analysis produced by social media monitoring, face-to-face listening activities and information ecosystem analysis produced by the project team;
- Work with the project team to tailor content to understand and meet the information needs fo vulnerable or marginalized communities;
- Collaborate with journalists, influencers, bloggers, and public health officials to develop evidence-based content;
- Manage online presence of the project as necessary;
- Perform any other duties as assigned by supervisors; and
- Understanding of and demonstrated commitment to upholding Internews’ Core Values.
QUALIFICATIONS WE’RE LOOKING FOR
- Familiarity with and understanding of the Sudanese context; knowledge of Sudanese humanitarian sector
- Fluency in written and spoken Arabic and English; knowledge of other languages spoken in Sudan an advantage
- Strong graphic design skills (preferably experience working with Canva)
- Digital and offline storytelling
- Strong image and video editing skills
- Experience creating widely distributed online content for journalism, humanitarian, risk communication, social behavior change or public health purposes
- Experience creating content that meets the information needs of vulnerable or marginalized groups
- Experience in content creation covering the realities of conflict-affected and displaced communities is a plus
- Self-motivated and used to work in a fast-paced environment
- Strong understanding of, and commitment towards, the editorial values of the project
- Must be creative, self-reliant, resourceful, a good problem-solver, good humored and flexible
Note: Candidates who do not have these preferred qualifications, but are interested and willing to learn, are encouraged to apply.
- Knowledge of humanitarian communications, public health communications, and crisis response techniques considered an asset, particularly related to COVID-19
- Awareness of, and familiarity with, the issues and dynamics of the COVID-19 pandemic and/or other health crises in humanitarian contexts a strong asset
This position is being offered and hired by Internews Network. Benefits will be consistent with Internews Network’s offerings and will be reviewed during the hiring process. Additional information can be found on our Benefits page.
Internews Network is an EEO/AAP/OFCCP employer. Every qualified applicant will be considered for employment. Internews does not discriminate based on race, gender, gender identity or orientation, genetic information, age, national origin, marital status, disability status, political ideology, military or protected veteran status, or any other characteristics protected by applicable law.