General Motors (501+ Employees, 25% 2 Yr Employee Growth Rate)
This position is remote – it does not require the employee to be on-site full-time to perform most effectively. The employee’s role enables them to work off-site on a permanent basis. In this USA, this is an employee who lives 100 miles or more from their designated, primary worksite.
The Vehicle Material Cost Specialist (AKA Cost Engineer or CE) is responsible to create, analyze and validate component material costs and targets. The cost engineer working in the PPCO / Product Program Cost Optimization team will be responsible for generating ground-up / detailed material cost estimates that encompass both piece price estimations and production tooling estimations. Collaboration with key internal cross functional peers is essential; the selected candidate will have a working relationship with the product engineering team, the purchasing and supply chain team, the vehicle program team, our global joint venture partners in China, and to an extent the external component supply base.
This role involves a high level of independent judgment, initiative, creativity, and the management of multiple estimates that focus specifically on identifying accurate cost estimates as well as proposed cost reductions. The cost engineer will have exposure to the next generation of automotive vehicles while working with leading edge automotive experts and technologies.
- The candidate should be able to analyze, organize, and understand large amount of data.
- Comprehensive manufacturing process knowledge is required. An understanding of regional difference in manufacturing processes / assumptions is helpful.
- Be an active partner with the internal GPSC purchasing team – aid in providing a fair yet competitive component cost for GM.
- Occasional domestic travel to supplier facilities for enhanced costing collaboration and support of the specific engineering / purchasing team.
- Support the assigned GM SMT from a piece price and tooling perspective.
- Experience in the financial evaluation of technical concepts and comprehensive understanding of production processes. An understanding of automotive industry trends that are occurring within the field regarding new technologies, autonomous driving, electrification, and additive manufacturing is a plus.
- Ability to manage multiple projects and assignments with a high degree of autonomy and complexity.
- Ability to lead change, resolve conflicts, and influence without direct authority.
- Ability to assimilate a large amount of cost data and clearly condense / communicate information to the larger GM team in an efficient way.
- Analytical ability to solve problems that are unique and sometimes complex. Ability to use data driven analysis to identify solutions, establish next steps to assigned projects, and manage open items is crucial.
- Effective communication and interpersonal skills required to build relationships with global team members and cross functional peers.
- Demonstrated ability to use all Microsoft Office software and show an expertise in MS Excel. Ability to use / learn GMCO$T (internal GM cost estimating software).
- At least 3 years relevant experience in automotive cost estimating, automotive manufacturing, automotive product design / engineering, or automotive purchasing.
- A Bachelor’s degree in Business, Finance, Engineering, or related / relevant field of study.
Preferred Skills / Experience
- A Graduate degree in Business Administration (MBA), Technical Management, or Engineering is a plus.
- Development of supplier component quotes to OEM’s
- Manufacturing and or launch experience in an automotive setting (OEM, tier 1 or tier 2 environment).
- A broad knowled ge of automotive manufacturing processes and principles, including but not limited to high pressure / low pressure die casting, electronics, plastic / injection molding, , stamping, , subcomponent assembly, and large module system assembly.
- An understanding of expected manufacturing cost factors such as labor, burden, and material as well as commercial items such as SG&A and profit is a plus.
- Knowledge of casting/machining, seat JIT manufacturing, or semiconductors preferred
Compensation : The compensation information is a good faith estimate only. It is based on what a successful Colorado applicant might be paid in accordance with Colorado law. The compensation may not be representative for positions located outside of Colorado.
- The median level of salary compensation for this role is $113,000
- Bonus potential: an incentive pay program offers payouts based on company performance, job level, and individual performance.
- GM offers a variety of health and wellbeing benefit programs. Benefit options include medical, dental, vision, Health Savings Account, Flexible Spending Accounts, retirement savings plan, sickness and accident benefits, life insurance, paid vacation & holidays, tuition assistance programs, employee assistance program, GM vehicle discounts and more.
Our vision is a world with Zero Crashes, Zero Emissions and Zero Congestion and we embrace the responsibility to lead the change that will make our world better, safer and more equitable for all.
Why Join Us
We aspire to be the most inclusive company in the world. We believe we all must make a choice every day – individually and collectively – to drive meaningful change through our words, our deeds and our culture. Our Work Appropriately philosophy supports our foundation of inclusion and provides employees the flexibility to work where they can have the greatest impact on achieving our goals, dependent on role needs. Every day, we want every employee, no matter their background, ethnicity, preferences, or location, to feel they belong to one General Motors team.
The goal of the General Motors total rewards program is to support the health and well-being of you and your family. Our comprehensive compensation plan incudes, the following benefits, in addition to many others:
• Paid time off including vacation days, holidays, and parental leave for mothers, fathers and adoptive parents;
• Healthcare (including a triple tax advantaged health savings account and wellness incentive), dental, vision and life insurance plans to cover you and your family;
• Company and matching contributions to 401K savings plan to help you save for retirement;
• Global recognition program for peers and leaders to recognize and be recognized for results and behaviors that reflect our company values;
• Tuition assistance and student loan refinancing;
• Discount on GM vehicles for you, your family and friends.
General Motors is committed to being a workplace that is not only free of discrimination, but one that genuinely fosters inclusion and belonging. We strongly believe that workforce diversity creates an environment in which our employees can thrive and develop better products for our customers. We understand and embrace the variety through which people gain experiences whether through professional, personal, educational, or volunteer opportunities. GM is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
We encourage interested candidates to review the key responsibilities and qualifications and apply for any positions that match your skills and capabilities.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statements
The policy of General Motors is to extend opportunities to qualified applicants and employees on an equal basis regardless of an individual’s age, race, color, sex, religion, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression or veteran status. Additionally, General Motors is committed to being an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) Employer and offers opportunities to all job seekers including individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation to assist with your job search or application for employment, email us at [email protected] or call us at 800-865-7580. In your email, please include a description of the specific accommodation you are requesting as well as the job title and requisition number of the position for which you are applying.