Confluent (501+ Employees, 110% 2 Yr Employee Growth Rate)
Confluent is pioneering a fundamentally new category of data infrastructure focused on data in motion. Have you ever found a new favorite series on Netflix, picked up groceries curbside at Walmart, or paid for something using Square? That’s the power of data in motion in action—giving organizations instant access to the massive amounts of data that is constantly flowing throughout their business. At Confluent, we’re building the foundational platform for this new paradigm of data infrastructure. Our cloud-native offering is designed to be the intelligent connective tissue enabling real-time data, from multiple sources, to constantly stream across the organization. With Confluent, organizations can create a central nervous system to innovate and win in a digital-first world.
We’re looking for self-motivated team members who crave a challenge and feel energized to roll up their sleeves and help realize Confluent’s enormous potential. Chart your own path and take healthy risks as we solve big problems together. We value having diverse teams and want you to grow as we grow—whether you’re just starting out in your career or managing a large team, you’ll be amazed at the magnitude of your impact.
About The Role
Did you ever have one of those teachers ina school who captured your imagination, unwrapping the satisfaction of an equation or the hidden meaning behind classical prose? At Confluent this is what teaching is about, imparting the excitement of new technology, the insights and trade-offs you need to build reliable systems and the pervasive idea that data-in-motion is as important as data at rest in the software systems of our future. As a Technical Instructional Designer, you will do all of this by building high-profile, deeply technical training. Training like this, or this, or this.
So, what are we looking for? The role will suit someone with a technical practitioner background: you may have previously worked as an application developer or data engineer. This background will help you understand technical subject matter in context, and frame it for today's practitioners. You’ll also be good at distilling these subjects down to suit today’s appetite for shorter-form content. Most of all, you’ll know how to craft and tell a compelling story, something we believe is vital for capturing the imagination of your audience. In this role, you’ll also work alongside some of the industry’s most prolific thought-leaders shaping an entirely new category of our software industry.
What You Will Do:
- Given a topic, work with cross-functional SMEs to understand the technology and the problem it solves, create a press release for the course (our pitch document), and pitch it to the wider team.
- Write a detailed outline, slideware, software-based exercises, and guide for courses you work on.
- Deliver content that is insightful, technically accurate, and inspires the audience to take action building new systems.
- Recording the content in a studio environment (optional).
- Maintain and update current courses, keeping material in sync with new releases of Apache Kafka and Confluent Platform.
What You Will Bring:
- A joy for teaching, making complex concepts simple, and reframing technology in a way that inspires.
- A technical background, ideally as a programmer, data engineer, or data scientist.
- Experience designing and developing educational content, talks, lectures, classes, or full-blown training courses.
- Experience teaching (university, courses, conference talks, etc.), ideally accompanied by public video content that can be used as a reference.
- A strong understanding of software engineering, work experience in the industry, or computer science/software-oriented degree.
- Excellent spoken and written English
- Demonstrated ability to work cross-functionally with multiple teams and stakeholders.
- Familiarity with online learning applications and media platforms (Udemy, Coursera, Youtube)
- Some travel required (<10%).
- Portfolio samples are required during the interview process.
What Gives You An Edge:
- Knowledge of Kafka, distributed systems, data streaming, and data pipelines.
- You know a thing or two about how enterprise software is built and understand the “why” as well as the “what” behind Confluent’s “data in motion” mission.
- The ability to deliver content on video confidently, articulately, and with personality.
- Experience with Git, GitHub, Docker.
Come As You Are
At Confluent, equality is a core tenet of our culture. We are committed to building an inclusive global team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, beliefs, and experiences. The more diverse we are, the richer our community and the broader our impact. Employment decisions are made on the basis of job-related criteria without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, or any other classification protected by applicable law.
Confluent requires all employees (in office and remote) in the U.S. to be vaccinated for COVID-19. Consistent with federal, state, and local requirements, Confluent will consider requests for reasonable accommodation based on medical conditions/contraindications or sincerely-held religious beliefs where it is able to do so without undue hardship to the company.
Click here to review our California Candidate Privacy Notice, which describes how and when Confluent, Inc., and its group companies, collects, uses, and shares certain personal information of California job applicants and prospective employees.