Picnic Technologies (501+ Employees, 2 Yr Employee Growth Rate)
At Picnic, we’re revolutionizing the way people buy groceries with our innovative and sustainable app-only service. We do almost everything in-house, developing cutting-edge technologies and processes to ensure we continue to grow rapidly without missing a beat. If you’re a passionate Data Engineer we’re offering you the opportunity to join the diverse team at our Amsterdam HQ and make a real difference in our scaleup environment. Check out this blog post on Event Streaming Platforms by our colleague, Dima Kalashnikov!
At Picnic, we’re revolutionizing the way people buy groceries with our innovative and sustainable app-only service. We do almost everything in-house, developing cutting-edge technologies and processes to ensure we continue to grow rapidly without missing a beat. If you’re a passionate Data Engineer we’re offering you the opportunity to join the diverse team at our Amsterdam HQ and make a real difference in our scaleup environment.
Check out this blog post on Event Streaming Platforms by our colleague, Dima Kalashnikov!
In a nutshell
As part of the Analytics platform team, you’ll focus on building a self-serving platform that delivers any event-based data from the producers to our Data Warehouse and other internal systems. You’ll transfer data from more than a dozen internal systems, as well as from our consumer-facing app and the app our Runners use to make their deliveries.
Along with your team, you’ll be responsible for setting up end-to-end data delivery pipelines, from infrastructure and data collection in the Picnic apps to their initial representation in the Data Warehouse. Working across various domains, your multi-skilled team will build and maintain a full scale autonomous platform that processes more than 50m unique events every day with strict SLAs on data delivery. It’s a big responsibility but one that comes with the opportunity to make a real difference in one of the most exciting and fastest-growing tech scaleups in Europe!
We don’t hide what we do. Instead, we open-source with the community that helped us grow.
Here’s proof: http://picnic.tech
What you’ll do
- You get to work on all parts of the system: infrastructure, Java code, 3rd party tools configuration, etc.
- You’ll work on adding more automation to our platform, including:
– Auto-scaling of our analytics platform based on workload
– Deployment of new pipelines based on user-sent configurations
– Events recovery and monitoring
– Schema validation and events enrichment
- You will be part of our platform expansion journey which includes:
– Adding of new data sources which are unlike any previous ones
– Enabling our analysts and machine learning developers to build models on top of the events
– Run PoCs for new technologies which you believe will be beneficial to our platform
Technologies we use
- Java 17 (Reactor and Spring 5)
- Apache Kafka, RabbitMQ, Kinesis
- Maven and Git
- AWS, Docker, Kubernetes, Terraform, Vault
Hungry for more? Check out https://stackshare.io/picnic-technologies for an overview of our tech stack.
- You have a Bachelor’s or Master’s Degree in Computer Science, Artificial Intelligence, Information Technology, Computer Engineering or a related technical field
- You have at least 2 years of professional experience in programming and software development
- You have a good understanding of back-end Java development
- You have experience with Docker
- You have experience with app development for Apache Kafka, AWS Kinesis, or a similar event streaming platform
- You’re fluent in English (no Dutch required)
- Experience with Kafka Connect or KStreams is a plus but not required
Every expert was once a beginner!
- You’ll get plenty of opportunities to challenge yourself and grow, including the Picnic Tech Academy, Lunch & Learn sessions, and tailored soft skills training. We also offer free professional weekly language courses.
Make a difference
- You’ll work in an awesome startup environment with the freedom to drive your own projects and create a visible impact.
- Our fully electric vehicles and sustainable business model mean you’ll also be contributing to making the world a better place!
Teamwork makes the dream work
- With more than 80 nationalities across 3 countries, you’ll be part of a diverse company with plenty of cool stuff to get involved with, from board game evenings to after-work drinks to our company ski trip and more!
You are what you eat
- You’ll get freshly prepared, healthy lunches and snacks (with plenty of vegetarian, vegan, and halal options). Coffee snob? Don’t worry, our amazing Picnic barista has you covered.
- Mental health is important. As well as having the option to speak with Picnic colleagues who act as confidential advisors, our collaboration with OpenUp gives you easy access to professional psychologists, along with workshops and materials.
- There are plenty of sports communities and events to get involved with, from tennis to yoga, to climbing!
- We offer competitive compensation and a pension plan that looks out for your future self, as well as 25 vacation days per year, so you can recharge your batteries
- Where possible, we like to enable people to work in ways that suit their working styles, which is why we have a hybrid-working model. Our teams generally like to have at least one team day per week at the office (the tasty lunch and Barista-made coffee may be a factor), but besides that, it’s up to you and your team.
Benefits for expats
It can be daunting starting a new job AND moving to a new country. That’s why we offer lots of support for our many expat colleagues, including:
- Relocation package: If you join Picnic from abroad, we’ll cover your trip to Amsterdam, sponsor your Visa, and offer you a month of accommodation while you settle in (as long as regulations allow).
- In the Netherlands, we offer support with your first tax report as well as arranging the 30% ruling.
- From health insurance to living arrangements to pet passports, there are always colleagues who’ve faced the same challenges and are more than happy to help!
We care about your health and wellbeing. As such, we currently support online interviews and remote onboarding (learn more about the process here).
Commitment to equal opportunities
Picnic is an equal opportunity employer—this means that all decisions regarding applications will be based on qualifications and merit. Applicants will be regarded independently of age, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, ethnicity, skin color, civil status, religious beliefs, physical or mental disability, or any other factors protected by law.
At Picnic, we celebrate and value our differences and are committed to building a safe and inclusive working environment where everyone can be themselves.