Cognoa (51-200 Employees, 26% 2 Yr Employee Growth Rate)
Cognoa is a behavioral health company focused on improving the lives and outcomes of children and families living with behavioral conditions.
Cognoa is a leading digital behavioral health company developing diagnostic and therapeutic solutions for children living with autism and other behavioral health conditions. For more information, please visit https://www.cognoa.com/.
Digital medicine is a relatively new healthcare and business paradigm. Our team brings together experts in the fields of AI, technology, and clinical drug development and commercialization. This new configuration of skills and experiences has led to exciting opportunities and has also generated unique and interesting challenges. We are looking for new colleagues excited to help us tackle those challenges and improve the lives of our patients and their parents.
The successful candidate will join Cognoa’s legal team on the ground floor and help to build the legal function as Cognoa moves into a commercialization phase. Reporting to the General Counsel and Chief Compliance Officer, the role will advise on various legal matters in the company and interact with management, company colleagues, vendors, and external counsel. This position offers a chance to grow into a more senior legal role at this growing, mission-focused company which is an innovator in the field of digital pediatric behavioral health.
- Review, markup/draft (from templates and from scratch), negotiate and close contracts, including master service agreements, statements of work, license agreements, NDAs, consulting agreements, study agreements, and other contracts and supporting legal documents;
- Provide rapid, practical business-oriented legal advice directly to internal business clients;
- Support internal business clients in negotiations with vendors on price, deliverables, service scope, warranties, and other commercial contracting terms;
- Provide legal advice across company functions, including to colleagues in clinical and medical, finance, commercial, marketing, human resources, and other areas;
- Prepare and deliver contracting training materials to ensure Company compliance and understanding of the contracting process;
- Ensure consistency of contract terms with company policies and goals;
- Reduce company’s contract risk;
- Work collaboratively with and facilitate cross-functional cooperation among the Legal team, Finance team, business teams and all relevant Company stakeholders;
- Review best practices to enhance contract review processes.
- J.D. from accredited law school required.
- Licensed to practice law in a US state or DC.
- 5+ years of relevant experience in a law firm and/or corporate legal department; in-house corporate legal department experience preferred.
- Demonstrated experience negotiating commercial and other contracts.
- Excellent interpersonal skills; ability to develop important relationships with key stakeholders.
- Good conflict management and negotiation skills.
- Demonstrated success working in a high-performing, business-focused legal environment.
- Detail focused and able to promptly deliver high quality legal review.
- A solutions-oriented collaborator.
- Ability to independently draft and close agreements with minimal support from senior staff.
- Demonstrated ability to think and decide quickly, and to communicate legal issues and solutions clearly and concisely.
- Experience with medical devices/diagnostics or pharmaceuticals/biotech preferred, but not required.
- Exceptional written, verbal, and presentation skills.
- Ability to travel on occasion, less than 10% time
- Ability to work for prolonged periods on a computer
Cognoa is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or another non-merit factor.