ioby (11-50 Employees, N/A 2 Yr Employee Growth Rate)
ioby offers an online platform that enables its users to create or fund projects in their neighborhood.
ioby, a 14-year-old national nonprofit organization, recognized by President and Mrs. Obama for its contribution to advancing civic innovation, seeks our next Director of Finance. Reporting to the CEO, this role will be responsible for the financial health & planning of the organization. The Director of Finance will become a part of the Senior Management Team, and manage the three-person Finance & Admin team. Qualified candidates must be dedicated to racial justice and committed to ioby’s mission of advancing resident-led change.
- Financial Health & Planning 38%
- Lead all budgeting and reforecasting processes; coordinate input from all Team Leads and decision-making process with the SMT and the Board of Directors
- Provide financial analyses as needed, in particular for decisions around growth/expansion, capital investment, managing an operating reserve, and scenario modeling for the Executive Team and/or Board
- Recommend benchmarks against which to measure the performance of financial operations from within the field
- Manage all loans, unrestricted and restricted net assets, capitalizable assets
- Collaborate with the Chief Philanthropy Officer to ensure that cash flow is appropriate for the organization’s operations
- Develop and maintain financial performance measures that support the organization’s strategic direction
- Evaluate and, where necessary, improve core financial software systems, accounting processes and workflows
- Train and support managers of the various teams at the organization to increase capacity for financial management across departments
- Effectively and clearly communicate potential risks in a timely manner
- In partnership with the Chief Philanthropy Officer direct and approve all staff work on reconciliations, financial reporting, information to funders and partners, grant and contract tracking
- Update and maintain a documented system of accounting policies and procedures in accordance with GAAP standards
- Senior Management Team 18%
- Participate in key decisions as a member of the Senior Management Team (SMT)
- Advance the organization by leading the implementation of special projects related to short and long term investments, team culture, and organizational strategic planning
- Support CEO and SMT in financial analysis by providing regular monthly financial reports on team spending and forecasts, long term plans and analysis, scenario modeling, and prompt follow-up to inquiries
- Managing the Finance and Administration Team 18%
- Coordinating with other team leads on cross team work; managing inflow of requests for support from other teams and delegating them appropriately
- Create, monitor, evaluate and report on team goals
- Manage, coach and develop the Finance & Admin team members
- Audit & Governance 18%
- Manage relationships with Audit Firm, staff audit team, and Board engagement with the auditors; ensure on time audits and 990s annually
- Support the Board Treasurer and Finance Committee in their fiduciary oversight duties through regular reporting
- Staff monthly Board Finance Committee meetings
- Participate in four Board of Directors meetings annually; provide all financial reports in advance
- Areas of Oversight and Delegation 10%
- Trust & Safety — Oversee the emerging work focused on fraud prevention, user privacy
- Disbursements — Oversee staff who work with the Product Team to design a streamlined disbursement process
- Program — Oversee Special Projects Ops Manager on project eligibility, compliance and fiscal sponsorship
- Ops & IT — Oversee Special Projects Ops Manager’s management of facilities (including home offices), phones, computers and internal communications and productivity software
- Compliance — Oversee Special Projects Ops Manager’s management of all legal and compliance questions
- Human Resources — Oversee Special Projects Ops Manager’s management of human resources, hiring, salary, advancement, onboarding, offboarding, benefits, etc
- Internal Controls — Guide and direct ioby’s internal controls and cross team interdependencies
Qualified candidates must have the following characteristics:
- Exceptional ability to translate financial concepts, trends, reports, and forecasts to non-expert staff and board members
- Experience leading continuous improvement of organizational financial systems
- Deep knowledge of nonprofit accounting, including fund-based accounting, grant tracking, and reporting
- Demonstrated experience producing, analyzing and presenting all standard business financial reports
- Experience creating long term financial planning scenarios
- Experience staffing a nonprofit Board of Director’s finance committee and treasurer
- Experience with complex organizational finances resulting from multiple programs, multiple locations, and a variety restricted funding sources
- 3+ years experience managing a diverse staff; has an approach to managing a multiracial team
- Experience working with fundraising or development staff to forecast a variety of revenue pipelines and manage numerous concurrent grant contract reporting requirements
- Experience overseeing administrative and operational aspects of a nonprofit organization
- Experience handling sensitive financial information with a high level of discretion; respect for privacy and appropriate levels of access
- 10+ years of progressively responsible professional experience in finance, accounting, or a related field (preferably in the nonprofit sector)
- 10+ years of professional experience in finance
- 2+ years of professional experience accounting
- 5+ years experience using accounting software
- Belief in the power of resident-led action in making change
- Fully committed to racial and economic justice
- Ability to prioritize and reprioritize many competing, important activities while staying calm, balanced, focused
- Meticulous by nature with a passion for detail
- Loves, analytics, and metrics-based assessment
- Highly organized; excellent in time management
- Self-starting, motivated
- Deep commitment and fulfillment derived from working on a team
- Strong interpersonal skills: courtesy, tact, patience and collaborative orientation
- Enjoys working as efficiently as possible and improving processes and systems
- Committed to innovative problem solving
- Clear communicator
- Comfortable using a variety of today’s cloud-based collaborative software such as Google Docs, Dropbox, Asana, Slack, etc
- Curious and adept in adopting new technology; excited to learn new tools
- Excited to manage remotely and be a part of a distributed team
- Manages with an investment and coaching mindset, allows room for direct reports to make mistakes as a growth opportunity
- Comfort finishing the transition to new accounting software
Extraordinary candidates will have the following nice to have characteristics:
- Bachelor’s degree
- Experience with the finances of growing organization
- Experience in financial leadership positions at organizations with greater than 25 staff and/or budgets larger than $8MM
- Experience with e-commerce, crowdfunding and/or high transaction volume flowing to hundreds of cost centers
- Experience working with development or fundraising staff using CRM databases such as Salesforce to track revenue
- Familiarity with Sage Intacct and / or nonprofit-specific accounting software
- CPA, CFA, CMA, CNAP, or similar professional accounting designations
- A basic understanding of and interest in neighborhoods, community development, urban planning, and civic technology
- Experience working in organizations with a Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion framework
- Experience and familiarity with nonprofit fiscal sponsorship
- Certified Nonprofit Accounting Professional (CNAP) or equivalent
- June 21: Opening is announced
- August 1: Deadline to Apply
- August 4-6: Screeners
- August 12-13: Round 1 Interviews
- August 16-17: Round 2 Interviews
- Sept 15-Oct 15: Estimated Start Date
ioby is a distributed team. This position can be based remotely anywhere in the United States. This job may require occasional work hours outside of ioby’s regular business hours (9am–6pm Eastern; Monday through Friday) and some occasional travel.
ioby is a tech-powered nonprofit, and is designed to be responsive to the communities we serve. As a result, we constantly evolve our program offerings and technology products to serve best, and we strive to move at a fast pace on balance with our resources and working in relationship with our community.
Our team is distributed across the country so we use a variety of online tools for project management and communication. You’ll be expected to bring new ideas and strategies and bring an attitude of continuous improvement to contribute to a strong and innovative culture. For the right candidate, this is an exciting opportunity to be part of a mission-driven, community-based organization that is contributing to a broad movement of resident-led neighborhood development.
This is a full-time, salaried position in the $115,000 – $135,000 range, and includes a generous benefit package (including full coverage for health, vision, and dental; 27 vacation days; 10 sick days; at least 8 holidays; a 401(k); and an attractive “Whole Person” policy).
*Please note: the salary range is based on location in New York or San Francisco. For candidates in other locations in the United States, the salary range will be adjusted based on cost of living.
ioby is dedicated to continuously improving our work to become more anti-racist. We have a written commitment to racial equity published here: https://ioby.org/equity which includes a link to our Hiring Practices: https://ioby.org/hiring-practices Please join us on this journey!
To apply, please fill out the application form through workable attaching your resume and cover letter describing why you want to lead ioby.
The deadline to apply is August 1
ioby is committed to the principles of equal opportunity. ioby’s organizational policies, practices, programs, activities and decisions regarding employment, hiring, assignment, promotion, compensation, volunteerism, internships and other terms and conditions of employment or voluntary service shall not be based on a person’s race, color, sex, age, religion, national origin, mental or physical disability, ancestry, military discharge status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, source of income, parental status, housing status, or other protected status, in accordance with applicable law.
Women, people of color and LGBTQ people are always strongly encouraged to apply.
Before you apply, please check if any restrictions apply in terms of time zone or country.
This job has a geo-restriction in place: USA Only.