Propel (51-200 Employees, 212% 2 Yr Employee Growth Rate)
Propel builds software dedicated to helping low-income Americans improve their financial health.
(With an HQ office in Brooklyn, we’re a distributed team. Please apply regardless of your location!)
At Propel, our mission is to build modern, respectful, and effective financial tools for low-income Americans. Over 4 million people use our first product, Fresh EBT, to manage government benefits on their EBT card, save money, and earn income. Read more about the impact of Fresh EBT here, here, and here. Now we’re expanding further into the financial services space by building a new financial product that will offer the best banking option for low-income Americans.
Propel is a for-profit software company that holds its social mission at its core. Our investors include Andreessen Horowitz, the Omidyar Network, Kevin Durant, Serena Williams, and Nas.
The Director of Marketing will develop a cohesive and holistic marketing strategy to attract and engage our customer segment and drive growth of our products. You’ll lead all aspects of marketing activities including product marketing, paid customer acquisition, content marketing, CRM, SEO, and much more. You’ll drive our growth efforts, run experiments to optimize conversion funnels, and eventually build a team to execute on ambitious growth and engagement goals. You’ll be encouraged to experiment more. You’ll have the autonomy and trust to continually and rapidly try new strategies, evaluate, learn, and iterate quickly, optimizing segments, programs, and channels for increased value.
You’ll balance your ability to roll up your sleeves while also building strategically for the future. As an early stage startup that is on the cusp of unprecedented growth, this is a rare opportunity to continue to build your marketing expertise, collaborate with talented teammates, and have a real impact on the lives of millions of Americans.
What You’ll Do
- Build and operationalize integrated multi-channel marketing strategies for existing and new products.
- Develop a detailed customer segmentation strategy, using quantitative analyses and focusing on optimizing conversion funnels.
- Be responsible for the relationship with outsourced vendors to optimize the marketing budget (currently >$2M/year).
- Obtain clear insights on CAC and LTV for various segments and channels.
- Build and optimize lifecycle marketing campaigns and in-app cross promotion strategies.
- Execute rapid A/B tests to optimize funnels and use quantitative analysis for data-driven decision making.
Product & Brand Marketing
- Own product positioning, including responsibility for key growth metrics, and developing launch strategies for new products and features.
- Develop and refine all product and brand messaging and content, working closely with product and design teams.
- Lead brand positioning, owning efforts to understand how customers respond to our brand and how to better bring it to life through excellent storytelling.
- Foster strong collaboration within the team and with other internal team members.
- Build and lead an internal team (~3-4 new hires within the first year).
- Invest in your team members’ individual growth, training, and ongoing learning.
Sound Like You? Do you have…
- deep experience building marketing and growth strategies for consumer product/service companies
- strong experience with mobile app growth and retention
- passion for storytelling, creative visualization, and inclusive content
- a track record bringing new products to market and contributing to building brands that customers love
- knowledge and expertise optimizing conversion funnels and performance across marketing channels and sub-channels
- experience building and leveraging customer segmentation strategies for funnel optimization
- an understanding of A/B testing tools and approaches
- a strong analytical background with direct experience effectively managing and optimizing marketing investments to achieve P&L and ROI objectives
- an ability to act as a player/coach depending on the needs of the organization and function
- experience working cross-functionally with PMs, engineers, designers in a fast-moving organization.
- An opportunity to make an immediate impact and a strong shared sense of mission
- The chance to contribute to the critical CX function at a fast-growing consumer software company
- A get-stuff-done, fun, and caring culture
- A holistic compensation package including equity and excellent benefits
- A distributed team with teammates across 11+ states
- A dog-friendly office based in Downtown Brooklyn
We are strongly committed to hiring a diverse and multicultural team. We encourage anyone interested to apply. We especially encourage applications from traditionally under-represented backgrounds, including those with direct experience with the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program or other government benefits.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, sex, gender, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform key job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.