Very / verypossible.com (51-200 Employees, 103% 2 Yr Employee Growth Rate)
About This Role
Very is a fully remote company, meaning we don’t have a physical office, and you can work from anywhere in the continental United States or Canada. Your home, a co-working space, on the road, you name it. If you feel like moving, you don’t have to change jobs.
We are looking for a proven leader in the field of ML & Data Engineering who can understand and enhance our current vision of ML & Data Engineering excellence. All technical directors at Very are expected to serve as a Chief Engineer on up to two client engagements, where they will work with the client, and our internal team (AM/PM/Engineering/Design) to ensure overall program success. The Director of ML & Data Engineering will work with the leaders of our other practices (Product Design, Software Engineering, Hardware Engineering) to ensure that their practice is providing impactful contributions to Very’s delivery process. As the leader of this practice you will have a solid understanding of what it takes to be a world-class practitioner of ML & data engineering, with a passion for growing and sharing your skills while simultaneously developing these skills within your team.
What You’ll Be Working On
Very is a fully-distributed IoT engineering firm, partnering with our clients to build systems for smart manufacturing, smart energy & utilities, consumer electronics, and connected wellness.
As the Director of ML & Data Engineering, you will:
* Report directly to the Sr. Director of Engineering
* Serve as Chief Engineer on two key client accounts. You will be ultimately responsible for the long term success of these accounts.
* Oversee Very’s ML & Data Engineering team, which currently consists of four data scientists, and three data engineers. We currently have plans to expand the team to roughly 10, with two managers that will directly report to the director by mid 2023.
* Work with Sales and Marketing to promote your team’s capabilities and help close contracts.
* Set the technical direction for how Very does ML & Data Engineering.
* Work closely with the other technical Directors (Software, Hardware & Design) to define and implement our standards of delivery. This will include things like technology choices, optimization of Very’s SDLC, as well as processes for enhancing visibility into engineering quality across a large number of client engagements.
Unfortunately, applicants who do not meet these criteria will not be considered.
* 2+ years of experience in technical management
* 8+ years of professional experience as a ML engineer, data engineer, or data scientist
* Deep understanding of and interest in MLOps
* Demonstrated experience working with the predominant cloud technologies: AWS, GCP, or Azure
* Primary residence in the continental US timezones
* BS in a technical field
* Experience working with embedded systems
* Experience working with hardware engineers
* Expert-level knowledge regarding large scale time series prediction
* A preference for and history of working with open source software, particularly Linux and related technologies
* Experience hiring/recruiting, ie: knowing how to excite candidates and working within a very competitive market
* MS or PhD in a technical field
Our Current Tooling
Our typical contracts can range from full-service IoT builds that include hardware, software, data science and design, to targeted engagements with a single practice at Very (e.g. software only). Within this context, our choices for tooling are as follows:
* Python for data science and serverless architectures
* Zephyr RTOS for low-power MCU development
* Nerves/Elixir for embedded Linux development
* Elixir/Phoenix for ultra-low latency web sockets and generic web backends.
* React/React Native for UI clients
* AWS managed through IAC such as Terraform or the Serverless Framework.
Other technologies we leverage throughout various projects (depending on client need) include:
* Swift & Objective C
* Ruby on RailsDjango/Flask
* Kotlin for both Android development, and web backend development
* Azure/GCP managed through IAC such as Terraform or the Serverless Framework
You don’t need to be an expert in all of these tools, but you should have a deep understanding of at least one or two, as well as a deep understanding of how these tools relate to each other, and the technology landscape as a whole.
How You’ll Be Compensated
Depending on your skill and experience, you can expect your base compensation to be somewhere between $175,000 and $200,000 upon joining the company. We also offer performance bonuses, a generous maternity/paternity leave policy, 401K matching, and numerous other employee benefits including reimbursement for home office equipment and monthly communication expenses.