Exygy (, 29% 2 Yr Employee Growth Rate)
Exygy is a digital innovation studio on a mission to build resilient and healthy communities. We enable impact-focused organizations to rethink experiences and create digital products that solve their problems and delight users. Our diverse team brings a breadth of technical expertise, user-centric perspectives, and product strategy to every engagement. As a certified B-Corporation, we are driven by our fierce commitment to the betterment of humanity. Our clients include CARE International, QURE Healthcare, San Francisco Mayor’s Office of Housing, and Hopelab.
Exygy has embraced a work from home philosophy and we are now a remote-first company. This role can be located anywhere in the U.S and may occasionally require traveling to the San Francisco Bay Area for meetings or team building events. Exygy remains connected and engaged with virtual team events, weekly all hands meetings and regular zoom workshops and trainings.
About the Role
The Director of Product is responsible for leading the Product Management team for Exygy’s Consulting practice. The ideal candidate has experience growing and managing high performing product teams. As the Director of Product, you have a strong grasp of current product management practices and enjoy mentoring and sharing your thought leadership internally and externally.
In addition to managing the product team, you will lead and support select client projects to successfully implement digital strategy, design, and engineering products. This includes working with clients to articulate how digital products may advance the client’s organizational mission, scoping the project, identifying the appropriate skill sets needed, managing multi-functional teams to implement the product, and tracking our impact.
As a leader on the team, you exhibit your exceptional core competencies in empathy, communication, proactiveness, and organization to support the Product team and fellow team mates in fostering a supportive culture where everyone has the opportunity to thrive and do their best work.
*** Applications close July 22, 2022 ***
What you will be doing:
Your time will be split into different categories of managing people, engaging on client projects and leadership and growth.
40% of your time will be managing and growing the Product team of 5 Product Managers (3 Senior and 2 Level I Product Managers), and contributing to business development and company operations.
40% of your time will be engaging on client projects primarily as a coach to other Product Managers
20% of your time will be for learning and growing as a pivotal leader of the organization.
What you will be managing
- Leading the Product recruiting and hiring process, ensuring we are hiring for the right skills based on upcoming project needs. Along with vetting new team members and conducting skills reviews.
- Support onboarding new team members to the Product team and setting them up to be successful by familiarizing them with our standard product methodologies.
- Establishing growth paths for Product Managers and supporting them by introducing opportunities for growth and offering regular coaching and feedback.
- Supporting Exygy leadership in the business development process, specifically contributing to the product approach and estimation portions of proposals to potential clients.
- Leading standardization of product practices across Exygy including orchestrating our Product team’s contribution to our Real Book.
- Staffing Product Managers on client projects, by representing them at our staffing ceremonies.
- Advising Product Managers on projects they are leading and connecting them with people and resources that support their work.
- Making recommendations for Product team raises and promotions twice a year.
- Staying ahead of Product practices and trends so that you can share that with the Product team and contribute to Exygy’s thought leadership.
- Participating as part of Exygy’s leadership team, playing an active role in company decision making.
- Leading and/or participating in a variety of cross-functional initiatives across the organization that touch all aspects of the organization including Design, Engineering, Operations, Business Development, Marketing, Finance, People, Legal, and more.
What you will be engaging in
- Guide Product Managers in serving as the main project point of contact for clients, bringing along key stakeholders, guiding swift decision-making, and ensuring client happiness throughout the engagement.
- Support in shepherding clients through the product strategy and development life cycle by clearly articulating the process and how the work streams fit together to achieve the product outcomes.
- On an as needed basis, serve as the Product Manager for select client projects, which include defining project success, leading a multidisciplinary team of designers and engineers towards successful execution using a comprehensive project plan, tools, and artifacts.
- Anticipate, navigate, and facilitate creative solutions to project hurdles and risks, including managing scope. As well as ensuring high quality work that is on time and budget.
What you will be learning and growing in
- Continue to sharpen your Product Management skills by taking advantage of our learning and growth opportunities.
- Keep abreast of Product Management best practices, trends, and influences.
- Further develop your core competencies that are fundamental to leading an empathetic and thriving team.
- Collaborate with People Ops for up skilling all Product Team members and creating evergreen best practices.
- 6-8+ years working within client contexts to execute on design and technology projects, either at a consulting firm, full-service digital agency, or similar environment and role.
- Experience building and growing a high performing Product team. Can identify and remove impediments that interfere with the ability of the Product team members.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills as well as facilitative leadership skills.
- Ability to empathize with, influence, and motivate individuals. As well as having the ability to stay calm and responsive under pressure, managing change fluidly.
- Detail oriented, with excellent management and organization skills.
- Able to keep track of many moving parts while smoothly adapting to new information or disruptions to the plan.
- Experience implementing Agile methodologies in complex organizations. As well as having the ability to facilitate requirements from multiple stakeholders and prioritize them into a detailed feature backlog.
- Human centered design approach to the work and the ability to balance user needs with client business constraints.
- Experience managing stakeholders and projects for large, complex organizations.
- Creative, entrepreneurial mindset. Enjoys making sense of ambiguity and a willingness to learn new skills, processes, and tools on the fly, constantly thinking about what can be improved.
- Ability to keep ahead of product trends, and contribute to product direction of the Product team and company overall.
- Commitment to the betterment of humanity. Being passionate about designing and developing world-class products that make communities healthier and more resilient.
Nice to Haves
- A previous role in some portion of the product strategy, design, and engineering process. For example, a previous life as a: design researcher, UX/UI designer, content strategist, product marketer, front end or back end engineer, metrics lead, QA tester, etc.
- Ability to understand and analyze high level factors that influence product decisions, including market size and dynamics, revenue opportunities, business models, and the competitive landscape.
- Experience with digital metrics and analytics, defining KPIs, tracking conversion funnels, and extracting insight from data.
We know that experience is gathered in many ways. These guidelines represent some, but not all ways you might have acquired the skills required for this role. If you have a demonstrated ability to fulfill the job duties, but got there in a different way, please apply.
The annual salary range for this full-time position is $140,000 – $160,000. Exygy offers excellent benefits, including health, dental, vision, and life insurance; 401(k) with employer match; professional development budget; home office budget and wifi credit; monthly wellness stipend; unlimited paid time off; profit sharing bonuses and paid volunteer time.
EEO & Commitment to Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion
We are actively seeking to create a diverse and equitable work environment because we believe that creates a stronger team.
Exygy values a diverse workplace and strongly encourages women, people of color, LGBTQIA individuals, people with disabilities, members of ethnic minorities, foreign-born residents, older members of society, and others from minority groups and diverse backgrounds to apply. Exygy is an equal opportunity employer. We will not discriminate against applicants because of race, color, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, religion, national origin, disability, ancestry, marital status, veteran status, medical condition, or any protected category prohibited by local, state, or federal laws. All employees and contractors of Exygy are responsible for maintaining a work atmosphere free from discrimination and harassment by treating others with dignity and respect.