Button’s mission is to build a better way to do business in mobile. Today, we work with some of the largest and most interesting businesses in the world to connect consumers with what they want at the tap of a button. We build with the consumer experience in mind, have a reputation for paving the future of mobile, and have a good time doing it.
As an Engineering Manager, you will lead and build the team responsible for the services, APIs, frameworks, UIs, and backend systems that sit at the foundation of Button’s businesses. Our portfolio includes the programmatic interfaces that connect Button to many of the largest brands in e-commerce and real-time routing of customers to the ideal shopping experience.
You will lead the team through the delivery of ambitious product goals while keeping the quality of our engineering output high. You will be a significant force when it comes to shaping the culture of Button Engineering, partnering with other leaders at the company to develop an environment that fosters growth, inclusivity, and transparency.
You will lead the design of new services and frameworks that advance our ambitious product goals. You’ll be a key contributor to shaping our Engineering and technical culture, driving design reviews, and providing guidance and direction to developing members of our team.
Button is based in NYC and has employees distributed throughout the US and UK. This position is for NYC, SF, or Remote. #LI-Remote
AS AN ENGINEERING MANAGER YOU WILL:
- Collaborate to build strategy and long-term roadmap. You will work with our Tech Leads and Product managers to identify the most impactful projects to focus on by building understanding and buy-in for that roadmap from the rest of the company.
- Driving hiring and growth for the organization. You will identify and hire talented Engineers and will drive the evolution of the organizational structure as the team grows.
- Lead the professional development of multiple engineers, providing the opportunities and feedback needed for growth.
- Take ownership for the accuracy, reliability, and continued development of multiple systems and APIs at the core of Button’s business.
- Identify and drive initiatives that support the growth and development of all Engineers, and make Button a great place to work.
WE LOOK FOR TEAMMATES WHO HAVE:
- A passion for team-building: You are equally excited to hire as you are to grow and develop talent from within. You have led teams of 3+ engineers before, and you take pride in being a mentor. As a manager, you listen continuously and give direct and actionable feedback.
- An outstanding ability to evaluate trade-offs and facilitate quick decision-making. We know there are many ways to build systems; you’ll find and champion the best approaches for our team.
- Production experience: You have a track record in production system design and operational ownership from your days as an individual contributor. Your experience means you can swiftly understand design choices and trade-offs, and convincingly ward off bad ideas, whether or not you already have an innate fluency with our exact technical or business environment.
- A passion for building a distinct, inclusive and collaborative Engineering culture and a determination to remove roadblocks and inefficiencies from the process of building great software.
- Enthusiasm for collaborating cross-functionally to identify and lead the development of products that drive dramatic improvements for our partners.
- 5+ years of experience writing software and building production systems, especially large-scale SaaS services
- 3+ years of experience designing systems
- 3+ years of experience leading one or more engineering teams
- Experience providing mentorship and guidance to peers, including but not limited to code reviews, training, and feedback
- Experience building teams, both through hiring new engineers and developing existing teams
- Experience balancing quality, maintainability, and invention
MORE ABOUT US:
- Button was founded in 2014. We’ve raised $65M in funding. Most recently we announced our $30M Series C in June 2019, led by Icon Ventures. Our investors include Norwest, Redpoint, Greycroft, DCM, and Capital One Ventures. We’re approximately 20 engineers and 45 people overall.
- We believe and invest in personal growth, and we’ve got the results to back it up. We’ve been recognized multiple times by Fortune, Inc., and Crain’s magazines as one of the best places to work in the US.
- We value diversity and come from all sorts of different backgrounds. We were especially proud the first time we hired a coding boot camp graduate.
Button is committed to being a welcoming and inclusive workplace for everyone, and we are intentional about making sure people feel respected, supported and connected at work—regardless of who you are or where you come from. We value and celebrate our differences and we believe being open about who we are allows us to do the best work of our lives.
Button is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We do not discriminate against qualified applicants or employees on the basis of race, color, religion, gender identity, sex, sexual preference, sexual identity, pregnancy, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, age, marital status, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, military status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law, rule, or regulation.
To read more about what personal information we collect on your behalf and for what purposes we use such information, click here.