Finance Operations Manager
- Job Title: Finance Operations Manager
- Location: Flexible Ability to set up a home office is required
- Reporting to: Chief Financial Officer
- Salary: $50,000-60,000
Founded in 1979, Family Equality’s mission is to advance legal and lived equality for lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and queer (LGBTQ+) families, and for those who wish to form them, through building community, changing hearts and minds, and driving policy change.
We envision a future where all LGBTQ+ families, regardless of creation or composition, live in communities that recognize, respect, protect, and value them. We envision a world in which everyone has the right and should have the opportunity to form and sustain a loving family, regardless of sexual orientation, gender identity, race, religion, national origin, geography, socioeconomic status, disability, or the intersection of those characteristics. Finally, we envision systems of service and support that are free of discrimination and that maximize opportunities for youth needing permanency and LGBTQ+ adults seeking family formation.
Reporting to the CFO, the Finance Operations Manager is a key member of the finance team, helping to manage the organization’s day-to-day finance operations, serving as the day-to-day controller, and thus provides key expert support to the organization’s financial infrastructure across all departments.
Daily Finance & Accounting Operations
- Manage all accounting functions specifically, accounts payable, maintaining the general ledger, producing all financial statements, weekly cash flow projections, tracking open contracts, and third-party billing.
Accounting Systems & Procedures
- Review and adhere to governing financial controls, internal processes, policies, and procedures, and enter adjusting journal entries as directed for closing and opening accounting periods while diligently capturing and organizing all required documentation.
Management Reporting & Budgeting
- Report financial information to the staff and the organization’s governing Board of Directors on a regular basis, providing clear analysis, describing trends and identifying potential areas of concern.
- Assist with budget preparation under the direction of the CFO.
Audit, Tax Filing, and Compliance
- Assist with all audits, including regular internal audits and the annual external audit by serving as the day-to-day contact with the organization’s outside audit firm and project-managing the complete process from day-to-day bookkeeping through to producing the annual 990 tax filing.
Family Equality is a virtual organization with our full staff joining together about four times a year in different locations nationally. The Finance Operations Manager must be a dynamic, engaged self-starter with a can do attitude who enjoys a fast-paced environment; someone who is highly organized and loves to dive into the weeds but also knows how to keep focused on our larger goals.
Our ideal candidate:
- Is driven, with a burning curiosity and interest in accounting.
- Has a background in LGBTQ nonprofit administration and finance, with nuts and bolts experience in the financial operations of a nonprofit.
- Is a strategic thinker, with a big-picture approach.
- Is committed, and truly dedicated to the mission of the organization.
- Communicates clearly, financially and non-financially when needed to translate and teach financial literacy.
- Is a clear writer and communicator.
- Relates well to multiple and diverse audiences.
- Is known as creative and flexible, able to think outside the box.
- 2-4 years experience in a primarily finance-based role.
- Minimum of an Associate’s degree in accounting, or related work experience.
- Extremely detail-oriented, with well-developed organizational skills, and an ability to handle multiple projects at the same time
- Experienced in posting to the General Ledger
- Computer savvy and experience using accounting software and databases, particularly Excel.
- Familiar with Sage Intacct is a significant plus, but not a required qualification.
- Tactful, patient, and the ability to maintain confidential information in a collegial manner.
Family Equality provides a team-based environment and we value the benefits of a diversified workplace.
Women, people of color, transgender individuals and members of other underrepresented populations are strongly encouraged to apply.
Family Equality is an equal employment opportunity employer and does not discriminate based on age, citizenship, color, creed, physical or mental disability (including HIV status), ethnicity, family responsibilities, gender identity and expression, marital status, matriculation, national origin, physical appearance, race, religion, political affiliation, sex, sexual orientation, union membership, veteran status or other unlawful factors, with respect to recruiting, hiring, job assignment, promotion, discipline, discharge, compensation, training and other terms, conditions and privileges of employment.