General Motors (501+ Employees, 25% 2 Yr Employee Growth Rate)
Controllership is a multi-faceted team managing Corporate, Regional, and Business Unit Accounting, Treasury Accounting, Employee Benefits Accounting, Warranty, Consolidations & SEC Reporting, Financial Assurance, Technical Accounting, Design and Build, Sales and Marketing, Customer Care and Aftersales, Systems and Modernization with operations around the globe. We are committed to working together to leverage our diversity in a rewarding work environment and creating opportunities for our people.
Controllership’s mission is to serve as a Strategic Business Partner, bringing timely and insightful decisions to all strategic and tactical matters as they related to SEC requirements, accounting, audit/SOX compliance and financial analyses. Leveraging financial systems, we strive to increase visibility, improve efficiency, shorten decision cycle times, and reinforce financial integrity and accountability.
Ideal candidates are dynamic accounting professionals focused on learning, personal growth and development and are interested in gaining knowledge and expertise across various Controllership functions at General Motors. Current openings include positions supporting our Bright Drop, Consolidations, SEC Reporting, Warranty Analytics, Global Purchasing and Supply Chain, and Technical Accounting teams.
As a member of the Controllership team, individuals are offered rotational opportunities approximately every two years to broaden experiences within the organization and expand skillsets. The following responsibilities may vary in applicability based on the Controllership team assigned:
- Develop a detailed understanding of GM’s processes and systems to identify control gaps and any opportunities to streamline processes and controls
- Assist with internal and external financial reporting, including
- analyzing consolidated results
- drafting SEC documents and management review reports
- supporting strong control environment to ensure accurate and timely results
- adhering to strict timeline for deliverables
- Research and interpret new accounting standards and brainstorm how each apply to GM as well as comply with external 10-Q/10-K reporting requirements
- Support strategic initiatives and transformation activities focused on empowering our all-electric future
- Develop analytics and tools to provide insights into the results for business units and regions
- Recommend types of automations, analytics, and data processing approaches to meet business objectives
- Initiate and support enhancements that improve the quality and speed of the monthly close process
- Assure accuracy, timeliness, and conformity with generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP)
- Resolve complex accounting issues impacting strategic business initiatives and identify potential accounting risks
- Support cross-functional Finance teams while developing relationships to increase future career opportunities
- Complete special assignments outside of core job responsibilities
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting, finance, or business
- Certified Public Accountant (CPA) or Chartered Accountant (CA) (preferred)
- Public accounting firm experience (preferred)
- Ability to work with a high level of independent judgment and initiative, while being able to rapidly take on and assimilate work from existing team members when required
- Ability to understand and apply accounting and financial reporting standards (GAAP)
- Willing to take on additional responsibilities, attend training, and learn new technical skills
- Ability to collaborate with business, IT, and data analysis resources to capture, prioritize and document solution requirements, and drive measurable results
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Complex problem solving and analytical abilities
- Ability to take a strategic, transformational point of view
- Passion for innovation, automation, and technology
- Strong interpersonal skills and demonstrated commitment to teamwork and partnerships
- Understanding of (or interest in learning) data structure, data interfaces and systems landscape
- Experience with (or interest in learning) HFM, SAP, Power BI, KNIME, Sharepoint, and/or Robotics Process Automation
Compensation: The compensation information is a good faith estimate only. It is based on what a successful Colorado applicant might be paid in accordance with Colorado law. The compensation may not be representative for positions located outside of Colorado.
- This position may be filled with a mid-level ( The median level of salary compensation for this role is $91,332) OR this position may be filled with a Sr. Level candidate ( the median level of salary compensation for this role is $113,760)
- Bonus Potential: An incentive pay program offers payouts based on company performance, job level, and individual performance.
Benefits: GM offers a variety of health and wellbeing benefit programs. Benefit options include medical, dental, vision, Health Savings Account, Flexible Spending Accounts, retirement savings plan, sickness and accident benefits, life insurance, paid vacation & holidays, tuition assistance programs, employee assistance program, GM vehicle discounts and more.
Our vision is a world with Zero Crashes, Zero Emissions and Zero Congestion and we embrace the responsibility to lead the change that will make our world better, safer and more equitable for all.
Why Join Us
We aspire to be the most inclusive company in the world. We believe we all must make a choice every day – individually and collectively – to drive meaningful change through our words, our deeds and our culture. Our Work Appropriately philosophy supports our foundation of inclusion and provides employees the flexibility to work where they can have the greatest impact on achieving our goals, dependent on role needs. Every day, we want every employee, no matter their background, ethnicity, preferences, or location, to feel they belong to one General Motors team.
The goal of the General Motors total rewards program is to support the health and well-being of you and your family. Our comprehensive compensation plan incudes, the following benefits, in addition to many others:
• Paid time off including vacation days, holidays, and parental leave for mothers, fathers and adoptive parents;
• Healthcare (including a triple tax advantaged health savings account and wellness incentive), dental, vision and life insurance plans to cover you and your family;
• Company and matching contributions to 401K savings plan to help you save for retirement;
• Global recognition program for peers and leaders to recognize and be recognized for results and behaviors that reflect our company values;
• Tuition assistance and student loan refinancing;
• Discount on GM vehicles for you, your family and friends.
General Motors is committed to being a workplace that is not only free of discrimination, but one that genuinely fosters inclusion and belonging. We strongly believe that workforce diversity creates an environment in which our employees can thrive and develop better products for our customers. We understand and embrace the variety through which people gain experiences whether through professional, personal, educational, or volunteer opportunities. GM is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
We encourage interested candidates to review the key responsibilities and qualifications and apply for any positions that match your skills and capabilities.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statements
The policy of General Motors is to extend opportunities to qualified applicants and employees on an equal basis regardless of an individual’s age, race, color, sex, religion, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression or veteran status. Additionally, General Motors is committed to being an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) Employer and offers opportunities to all job seekers including individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation to assist with your job search or application for employment, email us at [email protected] or call us at 800-865-7580. In your email, please include a description of the specific accommodation you are requesting as well as the job title and requisition number of the position for which you are applying.