Artie (11-50 Employees, N/A 2 Yr Employee Growth Rate)
Artie is seeking an innovative and experienced General Counsel to oversee and manage all legal activities for the company. The ideal candidate will provide strategic guidance, consultation, and support to upper management on a comprehensive range of legal and associated issues while working in the exciting nexus of NFTs and gaming.
- Provide legal counsel and guidance to upper management on all legal matters relevant to entertainment law, personnel law, policies, procedures, rules and regulations, and laws pertaining to contracts, tax matters, worker’s compensation, liability, and insurance matters, purchases, and other laws and regulations.
- Anticipate and identify legal issues and counsel upper management in order to develop legal strategies and solutions, often in situations of great political, public relations, or financial risk or significance, and with limited time for assessing alternatives.
- Work with business leads to structure, draft and negotiate agreements with media partners, content creators, and other digital licensors.
- Advise teams on the various legal risks, business strategies, and other issues related to commercial transactions and business operations.
- Contract drafting, negotiation, and advisory responsibilities for a range of media and entertainment licenses and/or talent services, with minimal supervision.
- Provide business and legal advice to licensing different rights using impartial judgment and discretion.
- Manage legal issues in existing domestic and international commercial relationships.
- Drafts, reviews, and approves policies and procedures, regulations, bylaws, and other legal documents.
- Reviews contracts, and other legal documents; researches legal issues and recommends revisions as necessary.
- Represents or oversees the representation of the company and upper management in judicial and administrative proceedings, and in negotiations with other agencies.
- Selects and retains outside counsel, as required, to obtain legal positions or to handle claims and litigation.
- J.D. from an American Bar Association accredited law school
- At least 10 years of experience in transactional practice at a law firm or in-house, or at a media company or equivalent experience
- Experience working independently in multiple projects and making conclusions that have legal and business impact
- Knowledge of the range of applicable laws and regulations which impact all facets of entertainment, labor, and operations
- Knowledge of current and developing legal issues and trends in the area of expertise
- Knowledge and understanding of company policies and procedures and the regulatory environment within which they operate
- Knowledge of contract law
- Knowledge of financial/business research techniques
- Knowledge of the judicial system and procedures
- Knowledge of legal documentation procedures and requirements
- Ability to develop and implement legal strategies and solutions
- Knowledge of community legal resources
- Maintains professional growth and development through seminars, workshops, and professional affiliations to keep abreast of the latest developments in entertainment law and in other related areas.
Desired Craft Skills
- Familiarity with IP licensing and/or media and entertainment agreements
- Familiarity with copyright and/or rights of publicity
- Interest in the evolving media, entertainment and tech landscape
- Understanding of labor law, particularly how it relates in a remote environment within the United States
- Unlimited paid time off
- Generous salary and equity package
- Health, dental, and vision insurance
- Learning/development budget
Artie Inc.’s policy is to provide equal employment opportunities to all applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, gender identity or expression, age, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy, veteran status, membership in the uniformed services, genetic information, or any other basis protected by applicable law.