Assembled (51-200 Employees, 344% 2 Yr Employee Growth Rate)
Assembled is building software to transform and elevate customer support teams, which often represent 20-50% of the people at a company. Our workforce management platform helps some of the fastest-growing, most innovative companies in the world—including Stripe, Zoom, and Robinhood—to schedule, forecast, and organize their support teams. We’ve raised $71m in funding, including a not-yet-announced $51m Series B in March, from the likes of NEA, Emergence Capital, and Stripe itself. You’ll be joining a special group of people who learned the ropes at companies like Stripe, Google, Palantir, Atlassian, Twitter, Airbnb, Looker, NEA, Bain, and more!
Signs of traction
Over the last year, we’ve achieved several significant growth milestones, including:
- Growing revenue by 5x while also delivering a 200+% NRR (net revenue retention)
- Tripling our customer base, with notable new customers including Zoom, Asana, Wynn, Color Genomics, and Restaurants Brands International in addition to existing customers like Etsy, Stripe, Monzo, Notion, and others
- Building out leadership in Sales, Marketing, Partnerships, and UX with SaaS veterans from Shopify, Atlassian, Flexport, and Stripe
- Growing the Assembled team by 5x (from 12 to 65 people)
- Launching several new product updates, including a revamped scheduling experience, agent scorecard, algorithmic scheduling automations, reporting API endpoints, and contact platform integrations
- Forming additional strategic partnerships with leading customer experience (CX) companies, including UJET, Five9, and MaestroQA
- Securing Series B funding with top-tier investors (NEA, Emergence Capital)
Why we’re looking for you
Our business has been growing at breakneck pace over the past year. We are at a critical inflection point as a company — this role is the critical input into us scaling our engineering team and product work responsibly and empathetically. During this next phase of growth, we aim to significantly enhance our product and increase the scale of the customers we’re working with.
As Head of Engineering, you’ll be responsible for scaling an end-to-end engineering organization from first principles and shaping the future culture of Assembled. You’ll cultivate world-class technical talent, recruit and manage engineers and team leads, drive the vision of the engineering team, and help Assembled achieve its goals as a whole. The ideal candidate will be able to grow with Assembled through multiple inflection points, help capture a $10B+ addressable market, and redefine the role of strategic customer facing teams within modern technology companies.
About the role
- You’ll lead and grow a significant organization. We’re planning to grow the engineering team from 20 to 50 people by the end of 2022 (with plans for the entire company to grow from 65 to 140 people during that time).
- You’ll make significant company-wide decisions as a part our executive team. The current executive team includes our CEO Ryan Wang and cofounders Brian Sze and John Wang. It also includes Justin Schafer (Head of Sales), Megha Narayan (Head of Marketing), Jen Ong Vaughan (Head of Partnerships), and Luke Andrews (Head of User Experience). You’ll report directly to our co-founder John Wang.
- You’ll play a big part in shaping the broader company. You’ll be managing a significant fraction of headcount at the company and will be heavily involved in creating or refactoring things like recruiting, cultural norms, compensation bands, performance reviews, etc.
Potential impact (aka top goals)
- Talent and recruiting
- Are you able to build a world-class engineering team? Have you built great teams in the past and would you be able to build another great team at Assembled?
- Why we care: we want to work with talented, curious, but still humble people.
- Team building and coaching
- Are you able to retain and bend the curve on people’s trajectories? You should be able to grow senior engineers to multiply their impact, coach and train new managers, and attract and retain staff-level engineers and experienced managers and directors.
- Why we care: we believe that building a world class team is a foundation to great results. We also believe in taking chances on people, sometimes with little experience or unconventional backgrounds.
- Operational clarity and prioritization
- With you around, will the engineering team know its top 3 priorities at any given time? Are you able to align roadmaps to customer needs and ensure that projects are staffed appropriately? Will you be able to guide the team to clarity and focus?
- Why we care: we’re an enterprise software company that works with the fastest-growing companies in the world. Our product vision and subsequent prioritization are critical for ensuring that engineers are spending their efforts in the right places.
- Ability to execute
- Would you be able to push through high-impact projects that change the trajectory of Assembled? Are you able to ensure the engineering team is operating at high velocity with high-quality output?
- Why we care: the core job of any product and engineering organization is to ship high-quality product quickly.
Our team continues to grow and we are looking for new members to help us transform and elevate customer support. Our values are: act like a support agent, bias towards action, and 1% better each day! We support our team by offering the following benefits:
- $100 Community Support Agriculture (CSA) credit
- $50 Assembled user credit
- $100 professional development/general wellness (fitness, mental health, or professional development)
- 401K through Guideline
- Dental insurance through Principal
- Health insurance through Anthem
- Parental leave
- One time $300 credit for improving your home workspace