Karat Financial (11-50 Employees, 675% 2 Yr Employee Growth Rate)
We’re building a bank for creators.
Your favorite digital creators—the ones you follow every day on YouTube, Instagram, TikTok or Twitch—aren’t just extraordinarily talented personalities and community builders. They’re also businesses. That means they have business needs—managing revenues, expenses, savings, credit, banking. We’re building products that help creators spend less time worrying about finances so they can focus on creating.
So far we’ve succeeded at taking an early lead in our category thanks to a strong sales effort and events team. We’ve dabbled with lifecycle, demand gen, and content—but we need marketer who can tie everything together and scale it—while maintaining the storytelling and vibe that’s lead to our Apple-like affordable luxury/attainable prestige.
Is that an analytical storyteller? A brand-minded growth-hacker? A methodical operator who understands the creator-as-luxury category? We’re open to any of these. What we don’t want is someone who waxes about brands but doesn’t know how to interpret data, or a someone so ruthlessly growth-minded that they drown out the spirit of our tone and the community we’ve built.
Which is to say—this is a unique opportunity for someone who blends storytelling and operations. You’ll grow a team, lead a category, and report directly to the CEO.
Some of the things you’ll do
Build the brand
- Own the story, inspire the team, and align our activities, products, and services around the narrative.
- Bring to life Karat and our creators through inventive media, campaigns, and PR.
- Unlock ways to tell the story broadly, and to specific demos with varying goals and habits.
Grow the community
- Nurture a vibrant on/offine community through events and content.
- Develop programs that recognize, support, and reward creators (perks, education, etc).
- Educate creators about how to scale their reach and grow their business.
- Refine our positioning as we broaden in scale while targeting niche communities/cohorts.
- Use organic and paid to build a profitable demand-gen machine.
- Work with Product to optimize self-serve, in-product cross/up-sell, and lifecycle programs.
- Partner with Sales to improve quality lead gen and pipeline improvements.
- Build a coordinated launch process to drive awareness and consideration of key products, features, and new product launches.
Own the data
- Define the KPIs that measure our results and drive our investments
- Optimize our channels and funnels through test and learn, nurtures, etc.
- Build lifecycle and churn-reduction programs.
Build a team
- Staff and manage a diverse, inventive team that sets the industry standard and makes our competitors weep.
- Reinforce a culture of curiosity, creativity, risk-taking, and ownership.
- Mix staff, vendors, and automation to achieve scale and goals.
What you’ll need:
Well, natch—the experience, skills, and drive to pull off the above list. Specifically:
- 7+ years of experience, with 2+ years managing all or part of a marketing team. Ideally you’ve worked at both a startup and BigCo
- Experience leading or partnering with brand management, product marketing, demand gen, content and community, and creative teams. You know all the parts of the machine, even if you’ve only built part of it before
- Experience owning and adapting a brand narrative during times of expansion. This means going broad even as you focus on niches.
- Demonstrated experience scaling marketing programs, systems, and teams—including the underlying analysis and KPIs.
- Passion for, and nuanced view of, creators and their economy.
- The same moxie as creators: inventiveness, hustle, and a smile.
- Most likely to live in LA or NY. We’re a remote team, but creators concentrate on the coasts.
- Huge opportunity. The creator economy just flew past a $50b milestone despite zero infra for creator banking. It’s our race to lose.
- Fascinating problems. We reduce financial risk so creators can take creative risks. The work you do in building a creator bank quite literally impacts contemporary culture.
- The right team. We’ve worked at the largest investment banks (Goldman Sachs, Morgan Stanley), investment managers (Blackstone, TPG), and social networks (Instagram). We started this company to leverage our experiences to help creators.
- Culture. We love hanging out with board games, delicious dinners, and brisk hikes as much as we enjoy delving into personal philosophy, management theory, and nitty gritty business details. Don’t be afraid to bring yourself to work!
- Resources and growth. We’re well capitalized from top investors like Signal Fire and Union Square Ventures; CEOs from YouTube, Twitter, Wealthfront, and CAA; and investors including Twitch co-founder Kevin Lin, Y Combinator, CRV, and Coatue. We keep a lean team, and this is a rare opportunity to join. You’ll learn a lot, build foundational products, and grow as our company scales.
- Flexible and remote work culture
- Competitive compensation and equity
- Health, dental, vision
- 401k (or CPP for Canucks)
- Home office and/or co-working allowance
- Personal development budget
- Your very own Karat card
- Meet with and build for your favorite creators
We’re a distributed team. This is a full-time role open to anyone in North American time zones.