The Zebra (201-500 Employees, 2 Yr Employee Growth Rate)
The Zebra, named a Best Place to Work in Austin four years running, is revolutionizing how connected consumers research and shop for insurance. We intentionally strive to build diverse teams that feel inclusive for all. Our motto is “All Stripes Welcome,” and we put that into practice by valuing both traditional and non-conventional backgrounds and perspectives. Our Zeebs are passionate about learning, growing, & working together to tackle exciting problems.
Reporting directly into the Vice President of Product, we’re seeking a Lead Product Manager to influence and drive our data strategy, enabling growth and scalability for our data-driven business. You’ll work closely with senior leadership, as well as the organization as a whole, to define the needs and enable our data platform to help The Zebra continue to scale. As the founding member of our data product team, you’ll need to gain an understanding of our business to build out strategy and associated tactics, creating detailed product requirements for engineering and collaborating closely with them during road mapping, prioritization, and development.
You demonstrate and embody the foundational skills of a data-centric product leader and practice active discussion, collaboration and proactive communication, instilling these characteristics in your team to build strong partnerships with Data, Product, Engineering, Marketing and other departments across the company. You embody humble and growth-mindset qualities, constantly looking to improve your skills.
While we are open to remote work across the contingent US, we are still in the process of establishing our company to support work in all states! We’ve recently made the shift from an in-office organization to a hybrid model and love the flexibility it allows our employees. We are set up to support employees who want to be fully remote, in-office only, and a mix of the two. Please note – we will not be supporting work based out of the following states: CA, MA, NY, NJ.
What You’ll Do:
- Build consensus with business, data engineering and product partners to establish a data strategy that supports continued growth and scalability for the business
- Be outcomes-focused to ensure we’re always solving the most important problem
- Collaborate with Data Engineering to break-down the strategy and business needs into individual tactics, prioritized based on impact and business value, always striving to increase agility and consistently deliver value
- Create detailed product requirements for engineering and collaborate closely with them during roadmapping, prioritization, and development
- Ensure the delivery of data solutions are effectively meeting the needs of partner teams
- Understand and empathize with data engineering pain points and translate them into scalable solutions
- Define, analyze and report KPIs that inform the success of internal and external data products (both problem areas & opportunities)
- Be the decision maker on final prioritization and own the data roadmap
- Data Product Evangelism: Represent the business and promote The Zebra as a data-driven company by advocating for data’s value and benefits at executive briefings, events, and so forth.
What We’re Looking For:
As we evaluate candidates across all roles, we look for folks who have a strong sense of ownership, great communication and collaboration skills, and a dedication to continuous improvement.
- 6+ years (or equivalent) experience in product management and/or related fields in the context of data management and development
- Communication Skills: You are able to communicate across many different teams, soliciting requirements both internally and externally. Ability to both clearly communicate with the technical teams and present at the executive level.
- Analytical Skills: You can translate internal and external data needs into clear data requirements and success metrics, and coach product managers on the team to do the same
- Leadership: You have the ability to partner with other departmental leaders, represent your team across the company, and mentor and lead a team of product managers.
- People Skills: Team player! You are highly collaborative and comfortable dealing with many stakeholders. Proven ability leading product teams that partner effectively with engineering and partner teams.
Experience that will Impress the Heck Out of Us:
- Startup experience
- Background in a web-based fintech or insuretech marketplace
- Experience delivering operational reporting and analytical products
- Experience with modern data stack: Snowflake, DBT, Looker, Fivetran
Benefits & Perks:
Inclusive and healthy environments are crafted intentionally. All of our employees can join and participate in (or create your own!) Employee Resource Groups. Here are some other wonderful perks of working here:
- Competitive Compensation & Stock Option Offering
- Health, Dental, Vision & Disability Coverages
- HSA offering + employer contribution
- 401k with match
- Unlimited PTO (paid time off)+ flexibility to enjoy it
- Paid Parental Leave Program
- Wellness perk ($100/month)
- Pet Adoption Reimbursement ($300/year)
- Learning & Development Opportunities
- Join a team that truly lives their values (outside of the office. Cliche, we know… but we really mean it)
About The Zebra:
The Zebra is the nation’s leading, independent insurance comparison site. With our dynamic, real-time quote comparison tool, consumers can identify insurance companies with the coverage, service level, and pricing to suit their unique needs. Headquartered in Austin, Texas, The Zebra has sought to bring transparency and simplicity to insurance shopping since 2012 — it’s “insurance in black and white.”
We’ve garnered attention and investment of some of the nation’s top venture capitalists. Check out all of our awards & recognition!
Our core mantra is “All Stripes Welcome.” As part of our dedication to maintaining an inclusive and diverse workforce, we provide equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform core job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation!