We acknowledge that Bench headquarters is located on the traditional, ancestral, and unceded territory of the Coast Salish Peoples, including the territories of the xʷməθkwəy̓əm (Musqueam), Skwxwú7mesh (Squamish), and Səl̓ílwətaʔ/Selilwitulh (Tsleil-Waututh) Nations.
Our mission is to make a profound difference in the quality of life of one million people, by removing the financial complexity of entrepreneurship. Businesses need to understand their financial performance, but for many smaller ones, this means a trade-off between doing their books and running their businesses. Bench solves this dilemma by taking bookkeeping off of their hands. We’ve paired smart humans with incredibly powerful software to develop the fastest, most efficient bookkeeping service in history. This lets us provide monthly and yearly financials at an incredibly accessible price, giving business owners the time, confidence, and knowledge they need to be successful.
Bench is growing fast. Recently, we’ve onboarded our 10,000th client and our 600th employee. We have a clear, funded path to profitability, and a roadmap that we believe will rapidly accelerate the trajectory of our business. We’re looking for the brightest minds who love solving tough problems to join us on this incredible journey, in pursuit of bringing financial mastery to our clients.
Bench’s Customer Testimonial
“ Owning and running a business and not having the skills to do it all… Owning and running a business, raising a family as a single-parent, taking care of aging parents, trying to navigate the challenges in life, anxiety attacks mixed-in with moments of depression, what next!? What was I thinking that I would have the time and know-how to keep up with my financials and all that is required when running a business…? Well, after years of neglect, I was forced to the realization that things will only get worse, I knew I needed help! But I was now more lost and behind than ever…I felt alone! Enter Bench Accounting, the answer to my prayers. Because of my years of neglect, I was forced to seek help. Fast forward, I was soon introduced to Bench Accounting. From the first moment I was introduced to Erin, I knew I finally had someone on my side – a group of professionals that showed the concern for my needs and worries. Needless to say, the experience has been an emotional one for me as it has allowed me to gain back my life in so many ways. Professionals like Maya, whom I have the honor to work with, have taken the time to understand every aspect of my business, stay in constant contact, and deliver quickly to me the financial upkeep that is required for all businesses. More than just providing the expertise and know-how, I feel I have built a relationship with Bench that is personal – real people who care about my well-being. It all makes sense and is simple to me now – focus on what I am best at and allow Bench to take care of the rigors of bookkeeping which ultimately helps me in reaching my goals. And now, I have hope and am able to look forward and not behind. I no longer feel alone. Thank you, Bench Accounting.”
Patrick H. 9/25/20
What does the Client Success Onboarding department look like?
Our team was created 18 months ago and has been operating in a scrappy environment under the Director of Client Success. We are preparing to change the way we bundle our services and our onboarding team is at the centre of how our new clients are introduced to them. You will be responsible for managing how the processes and systems are created, mentor the team as they adapt to these changes, learn from what our clients are telling us is most important to them, and collaborate with our product and bizops teams to build the optimal onboarding experience.
We have built a strong foundation for acquiring new clients through an integrated and aligned strategy across our various go-to-market teams, for example marketing, BD, sales, and client operations. Part of our Client Success Team focuses on onboarding all of our new clients. We’re looking for an individual with a strong client facing background, who will take how we onboard our clients to the next level. This is where you come in.
We currently have a team of 7-10 individuals, depending on seasonality, that is obsessed with making sure that every new client is set up with services to have a delightful client experience and to create a profound difference for our clients and how they run their businesses.
What you’ll be getting up to:
- Managing Bench’s current onboarding process to determine how to increase retention in the first 90 days of a client’s journey
- Leading the way in implementing changes as we launch our new bundles and managing how the team works through these changes
- Coordinating with client marketing to iterate the first 90 days of a client’s journey
- Developing deep client insights to inform product, marketing, sales, and our service operations teams on how we can provide more value to our clients, with the goal of reducing churn and increase expansion opportunities
- Building metrics, KPIs, and dashboards to report on and provide insights on client and revenue retention and expansion related initiatives
You are an experienced team leader, who prioritizes the growth and performance of their team over everything. You inject passion and energy into your team, are an effective coach, and are always looking for new ways to untap the potential of your team.
- Ensures that the team is performing at the highest level, and are aligned with the objectives of the Client Success Team
- Constantly creates opportunities for the team to develop themselves to reach higher levels of capability through mentorship, education, and coaching
- Takes swift and appropriate action to address performance concerns that impact other teammates or our clients
- Builds the foundation of an excellent team through exceptional hiring and promotion decisions
Strategy and Prioritization
You have an incredible nose for value, and are always looking for new or iterative ways that will allow the Onboarding Team to improve the client experience. You can effectively plan, prioritize, and ensure timely delivery of all initiatives of onboarding. You are an experienced leader that provides clarity, direction, and coordination to the Bench Teams as we continuously evolve the onboarding process, infrastructure, and data environment.
- Obsessed about finding high impact opportunities for onboarding to improve scope of the experience, efficient infrastructure, and data and systems infrastructure
- Provides succinct summaries of observations, opportunities and recommendations on high value activities
- Continuously prioritizes the initiatives and actions of the Onboarding Team to ensure we’re growing and learning at the maximum possible rate
- Ensures effective stakeholder engagement and change management across all impacted Bench Teams
Data and Systems Infrastructure
You are an experienced systems thinker and can demonstrate the power data and systems have on decision making. You have an analytical mind and are capable of breaking down large problems into smaller ones and consistently demonstrate a clear, logical and structured approach to problem solving.
You are consistently diving into data to provide insights to the Onboarding Team as to how we can improve our systems, infrastructure and reporting that will supercharge how we bring our new clients into the Bench world.
- Ensures that the data for onboarding is accurate and reliable on a daily basis through leading a team that completes auditing and data management
- Provides the onboarding team members with reporting that allows for high-impact decision making
- Constantly challenge and improve the onboarding systems and data environment as we continue to grow and scale our business
To be successful in this role, you’ll need to have:
- Leadership experience: this translates to +/- 2-3 years of experience as a team leader, mentoring and coaching an agile team
- Experience translating complex business problems into clear drivers and structured models
- Excellent Excel/Google Sheets skills; experience with BI tools and SQL; Tableau experience a plus
- Proven ability to work in a high pace, cross-functional and fast paced environment
- Excellent time management, organizational, and problem solving skills
- Exceptional analytical skills and intuition
- Comfort working with quantitative and qualitative data
- Experience communicating recommendations effectively to senior leadership
- An activated curiosity and openness to being an equitable and inclusive leader. Our commitment to anti-racism and anti-discrimination as a company excites you.
It could be an even better fit if you:
- A nose for value: You can take a big-picture perspective to identify and stay focused on what’s most important
- Appreciation for systems: You can connect the dots and figure out the best solution for Bench, not just the stakeholders you’re working with
- Obsession for the client experience: Every decision is driven by your commitment to creating a profound impact for the quality of life of our clients
- Startup hustle: You are highly motivated, proactive, comfortable with change and ambiguity. You have a humble, team-player attitude and are ready to pitch in wherever you are needed most
- A well-developed equity lens: You actively engage in leadership of teams and of strategic-level work with an equity lens and an eye for inclusivity. You don’t just accept equitable practices, you model and advocate for them on your teams and in your work.
The extra details:
- This is a full-time permanent position because we want to spend lots of time with your wonderful self!
- This position offers an annual salary, stock options, and an extended benefits package that includes health, dental, and vision.
- All Benchmates have access to Inkblot Therapy, our virtual counselling service to support mental wellbeing, and Bravely, our confidential, on-demand, 1:1 professional coaching service.
- Our office has gone fully remote! We’ll set you up with everything you need to work from home, from day one.
We believe that unchecked biases disproportionately impact the most marginalized people in society—including but not limited to BIPOC, LGBTQ2S+ people, immigrants, and people with disabilities. We strongly encourage applications from people with these identities or other marginalized communities because we believe that without you, we are all less. At Bench, we don’t stand for tokenism. We stand for representation.