Ad Hoc (201-500 Employees, 88% 2 Yr Employee Growth Rate)
This is a fully remote position.
Work on things that matter
Ad Hoc is a digital services company that helps the federal government better serve people. Our teams use modern, agile methods to design and engineer government systems that connect Veterans with services, bring affordable health care to millions of people, and support important programs like Head Start. And as we work to make critical government services intuitive, accessible, and human-centered, we’re also changing how the government thinks about and uses technology. If you thrive on change, want to help close the gap between consumer expectations and government services, and can see the possibilities in ambiguity, then we want you here with us.
The CMS business unit covers our work with the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services, including HealthCare.gov, Medicare.gov, and the Blue Button API. Our team supports CMS in building and improving online public experiences and APIs that are reliable, accessible, and user-centered. We are deeply embedded within CMS, partnering agency-wide to include with the Office of Communications, Office of Enterprise Data and Analytics, Center for Medicaid and CHIP Services, and Center for Medicare and Medicaid Innovation. Our work includes helping millions of people enroll in healthcare and access Medicare and Medicaid benefits, as well as helping CMS improve the quality of Medicare and Medicaid services for beneficiaries and clinicians.
What matters most
Ad Hoc operates according to our commitment to inclusivity, acceptance, accountability, and humility. We aren’t heroes. We believe in missions larger than our individual selves and leave our egos at the door, learn from our mistakes, and iterate in order to better serve the people in our country. We prioritize building teams that represent the diversity of the people our government serves. We love the challenge of government-size projects. We want to bring skills to federal agencies, help them better meet the needs of their users, and close the gap between consumer expectations and government.
Built for a remote life
Ad Hoc is remote-first and remote-always. We’ve designed our culture, communications, and tools to support a nationwide distributed team since the beginning. Being remote by design allows Ad Hoc to be thoughtful and intentional about creating diverse teams and supporting them with a work environment that fits their lives. With a generous PTO policy and Slack channels for every interest (from bird watching to space nerds to parenting) our culture embraces the things happening in your life. Maybe you need to adjust your schedule to care for your family or take a bike ride. At Ad Hoc, that’s embraced.
What you’ll do
- Ensuring effective engineering delivery on their program or team.
- Developing and presenting monthly reports based on program reporting requirements.
- Shaping the technical direction of their program.
- Experience developing REST APIs, preferably in Go or Node.js.
- Experience with AWS (Fargate, ECS, EC2, RDS, Security Hub, S3 IAM etc.)
- Jenkins CI/CD, Docker, Infrastructure as code, Security, Compliance as code
- Experience supporting high traffic production applications including leading incident response.
- Strong leadership skills, leads multiple teams.
- Managing the technical relationship with the client and influencing their technical decision-making.
- Meets with lead engineers and stakeholder for strategy discussions and planning.
- Plan, coordinate, and deliver on complex projects without explicit guidance. (Examples of complex projects include major re-architectures or coordination between multiple teams or larger numbers of engineers)
- Defining agendas (including technical direction, goals, and priorities) for several adjacent engineers.
- Reducing ambiguity in the systems they touch
- Using effective written communication and presentation skills to communicate existing systems, design decisions, past performance, and major history of projects that they’ve been a part of.
- Managing performance, in terms of both craft and associated competencies relevant to career development, for assigned individuals within engineering. This includes supporting program managers in hiring, onboarding, and conducting 1:1s and annual performance reviews.
- Providing recommendations for pay, performance, and bonuses; escalating performance issues, supporting onboarding and interviews, and making recommendations for internal transfer and KP readiness.
- Providing coaching and development to engineering team members, defining growth goals and development plans with individuals, and creating a culture where team members can learn and evolve.
What we hope you’ll bring
- A minimum of seven (7) years of experience in software and systems design, development, architecture and operations.
- Experience coaching and guiding a team of Engineering Leads as practice managers
- Experience with GO, React, PostgreSQL
- Experience building backend APIs and authenticated experiences
- Strong focus on engineering quality, reliability, and delivery
- Ability to engage non-engineering clients as well as engineering partners about architectural decisions productively
- A commitment to agility, flexibility, and iteration.
- Experience and understanding of at least one agile methodology, such as Scrum, XP, or SAFe.
More than that, our ideal candidate wants to contribute to work that is bigger than themselves and wants to make a difference collaborating with their team. They care deeply about building better products, better relationships, and better trust in each interaction people have with their government. They believe in intuitive, easy-to-use government services. They collaborate well with designers, stakeholders, and other teams. They mentor and guide engineers. They’re human-centered.
And if you don’t check every box on the list? That doesn’t mean you can’t help us in our mission to deliver critical government services. Talk to us!
Some basic requirements
- All work must be conducted within the U.S., excluding U.S. territories. Some federal contracts require U.S. citizenship to be eligible for employment.
- You must be legally authorized to work in the U.S now and in the future without sponsorship.
- As a government contractor, you may be required to obtain a public trust security clearance.
- A minimum of seven (7) years of experience in software and systems design, development, architecture, and operations.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science or other engineering background, or equivalent work experience. Four years of additional hands on experience in a relevant field and high school diploma may be substituted for a bachelor’s degree.
- Our technical screening involves completing a homework assignment that is then graded blind to remove bias. We do not do tricky, unreliable whiteboarding tests. You can read more about our homework here.
Learn more about engineering at Ad Hoc.
- Company-subsidized Health, Dental, and Vision Insurance
- Use What You Need Vacation Policy
- 401K with employer match
- Paid parental leave after one year of service
- Continuing education/annual conference attendance stipend
Ad Hoc LLC is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, age, pregnancy, disability, work-related injury, covered veteran status, political ideology, marital status, or any other factor that the law protects from employment discrimination.
In support of the Colorado Equal Pay Transparency Act, and others like it across the country, Ad Hoc job descriptions feature the starting range we reasonably expect to pay to candidates who would join our team with little to no need for training on the responsibilities we’ve outlined above. Actual compensation is influenced by a wide range of factors including but not limited to skill set, level of experience, and responsibility. The range of starting pay for this role is $128,183 – $169,065 and information on benefits offered is here. Our recruiters will be happy to answer any questions you may have, and we look forward to learning more about your salary requirements.