Velir (51-200 Employees, 10% 2 Yr Employee Growth Rate)
What We Need
We need a highly experienced developer to join our diverse and talented front-end team, and to help us build forward-thinking web solutions that are fast, WCAG accessible, user-friendly, and beautiful (both on the surface and under the hood). As a principal developer at Velir, you will also apply your expertise as a technical project leader at a larger scale so that the whole team gets better.
Our ideal candidate will also be willing to stretch their horizons to take that first step towards management. You’re approachable, able to build trust with direct reports and comfortable delivering both positive feedback and constructive criticism clearly yet kindly. This role will be involved with hiring, one-on-ones, career development, and performance management of 2-4 reports.
If you enjoy coding, but you also find satisfaction in improving processes, mentoring other developers and ultimately raising everyone’s game, this position may be for you!
Why You Should Join
Your work at Velir could help our clients improve global health, drive changes in policing, promote the health and well-being of children, and more. In short, your efforts have a chance to really mean something.
In joining the Velir front end team, you’ll become an important part of a small but dedicated development group. We strive to provide a sensible working environment that endorses healthy work hours, and we offer flexible remote work options. We have a progressive parental leave policy, offer paid volunteer days, and vacation time is not just encouraged, but celebrated.
We believe that high-performing teams include people from different backgrounds and experiences who can challenge each other’s assumptions with fresh perspectives. To that end, we actively seek a diverse pool of applicants, including those from historically marginalized groups. If you’re from a background that’s underrepresented in tech, we’d particularly love to meet you.
What You’ll Get To Do
In this position, you’ll get to:
- Write code at a high level, and work with modern web frameworks (React, Vue.js, and others) and advanced CSS to create websites, components, APIs, and animations — while being mindful of bigger picture objectives like web performance and accessibility
- Act as the tech lead or front-end oversight within a project, communicating and coordinating with other teammates across practice areas
- Mentor, guide, and offer support to a small team of direct reports providing career guidance, training opportunities, and timely performance feedback
- Stay informed of front-end advances, looking for opportunities to share your knowledge to empower the team and increase their impact
- Identify and solve technical risks and roadblocks for projects and teams
- Inspire and empower front-end innovation within the department and the company
Skills & Qualifications
What You Bring to the Table
- Great communication skills — including documentation, presentation, and persuasion — to motivate teams, explain technical concepts effectively to team members or clients, and deliver your messages clearly yet kindly
- Empathy and listening skills, to complement your communication and facilitate collaboration with your teammates
- The courage to ask questions, try new things, speak up about roadblocks, and raise risks (while also suggesting possible solutions)
- Enthusiasm for — and undying curiosity about — our ever-changing front-end field
What We Use
As our clients have many different needs, we use many tools, frameworks, and platforms. This is not a hard list of requirements, but instead a peek into what our developers might be working with on any given project:
- React Hooks, Vue.js, Angular
- SCSS, Gulp, Webpack, node/npm, Git, Jenkins
- Sitecore, AEM, Drupal, Contentful, Gatsby, Next.js, JSS
- Storybook, PatternLab, data visualizations with tools like D3, web animation, web performance, accessibility
- Frequent sitting at a desk performing work on a computer
- Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions
- Domestic travel for client meetings as needed
Our Core Company Values
Velir is an established mid-sized agency with a top-tier portfolio of clients, ranging from the world’s largest non-profits to Fortune 500 brands. We pride ourselves on our people-first culture and a low-ego workplace that embraces experimentation, collaboration and continuous improvement. We offer flexible work locations, competitive pay, and excellent benefits.
- Take the Long View – Ensure the company is built to last
- Be Courageous – Make the right decisions even when they aren’t the easiest decisions
- Be Genuine – Bring honesty and authenticity to all that you do
- Work with Focus + Passion – Display purpose and pride in your work and never stop learning
At this time, Velir does not sponsor candidates and unfortunately cannot accept those on OPT or CPT.