Atlassian (501+ Employees, 122% 2 Yr Employee Growth Rate)
Working at Atlassian
Atlassian can hire people in any country where we have a legal entity. Assuming you have eligible working rights and a sufficient time zone overlap with your team, you can choose to work remotely or return to an office as they reopen (unless it’s necessary for your role to be performed in the office). Interviews and onboarding are conducted virtually, a part of being a distributed-first company.
We’re looking for a talented Privacy and Product Counsel to join our dynamic and collaborative legal team at Atlassian! You’ll be joining a growing team of privacy professionals helping build a program that puts fundamental rights first, builds customer trust, and leads our industry on privacy and social impact.
Like our customers, we use Atlassian products to collaborate asynchronously with global teams. We believe in open work, leading with kindness and empathy, and delivering thought leadership beyond what’s required for “minimum legal compliance”. It helps to bring a growth mindset, a desire to use and understand our products, intellectual curiosity, and a thirst for innovation!
In this role you’ll get to:
- Review and coordinate potential privacy or data security incidents, including investigations, notifications, and other resolution efforts
- Help strengthen Atlassian’s privacy program by enhancing our incident management practices
- Collaborate with our Trust Team to build tools, processes, and automations to accelerate issue spotting, triage, escalation, and reporting
- Partner with a diverse group of leaders across Atlassian (in engineering, product, compliance, security, marketing, sales, etc.) on global privacy related initiatives
- Offer advice to teams working on global marketing programs, initiatives, and content
- Support efforts to build trustworthy, data privacy-conscious products our customers love
- Creatively build upon and drive awareness around privacy and data protection issues, including developing and delivering training
- Engage with the privacy legal community and partner with Privacy Team leadership to understand evolving issues, develop team strategy, and to help Atlassian provide an industry-leading privacy program for our customers and colleagues
On the first day, we’ll expect you to have:
- Necessary qualifications to practice law in your local jurisdiction
- CIPP certification
- Passion to understand our customers, products, culture, and business model
- Deep knowledge of applicable privacy regulations (GDPR, CCPA/CPRA, etc.)
- A fundamental understanding of the incident management process
- Extensive experience working to resolve privacy incidents, with a bias to developing customer-centric solutions and positive relationships with regulatory agencies
- Practical experience and deep understanding of global marketing laws (e.g. in the USA, Australia, Canada, and the EU – especially Germany) and B2B SaaS company marketing programs, including consent collection, opt-out requirements, and potential impact to business reputation and customer trust
- A knack for distilling complex legal and technical concepts into clear language
- Strong judgment, intellectual curiosity, and a moral compass that takes your understanding, work product, and client relationships to the next level
- Demonstrated growth mindset and the ability to thrive in a dynamic, fast-paced, and remote-friendly workplace
More about you:
- You have a a solid understanding of global privacy and data protection law and trends
- You’re a fan of SaaS and cloud services, and are aware of industry trends
- You’re passionate about the privacy and data protection issues that our users – end users, organisation administrators, developers, enterprise customers, or consumers – care about
- You think creatively beyond the “legal” box to offer solutions, clearly articulating ethical and risk-based recommendations
- You take initiative to learn new laws, technologies, and business strategies
- You effectively navigate a decentralised and complex organisation spread across the globe
- You build relationships which strengthen the connection between legal and partner teams
Our perks & benefits
To support you at work and play, our perks and benefits include ample time off, an annual education budget, paid volunteer days, and so much more.
The world’s best teams work better together with Atlassian. From medicine and space travel, to disaster response and pizza deliveries, Atlassian software products help teams all over the planet. At Atlassian, we’re motivated by a common goal: to unleash the potential of every team .
We believe that the unique contributions of all Atlassians create our success. To ensure that our products and culture continue to incorporate everyone’s perspectives and experience, we never discriminate based on race, religion, national origin, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, or marital, veteran, or disability status. All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
To learn more about our culture and hiring process, explore our Candidate Resource Hub .