Square (501+ Employees, 60% 2 Yr Employee Growth Rate)
Reporting to the BTC Hardware Engineering Lead, you will have ownership of one or more projects and their bring up through all phases of the product design lifecycle. This entails project ownership from the conceptual to detail design and subsequent prototype and production builds at the factory. You will evaluate early field failures and implement engineering solutions throughout the sustaining engineering phase until the conclusion of the product’s life cycle.
- Work closely with Industrial Design & Product teams to architect and refine new product concepts
- Develop rapid prototypes using common prototyping techniques such as 3D printing, machining, etc.
- Design high volume & high cosmetic plastic and metal parts
- Work closely with cross functional teams such as Electrical Engineering, Factory Test, and Operations teams to design and validate new products
- Forge strong partnerships with our CMs to ensure successful builds
- Effectively communicate your designs in CAD, presentations, or hands-on prototypes, in front of a group
Unique aspects to the BTC Engineering team:
- Ownership of elements of product and engineering program management especially in early project phases
- Responsible for tooling bring-up and manufacturing design engineering of all new tools and processes
- Familiar with design of thermal management solutions
- Working with our CM partners in both OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturing) and JDM (Joint Design Manufacturing) models
- Responsible for reliability testing including putting together a validation plan, leveraging our CM partner’s DQE teams to perform the testing, and reviewing, presenting and approving the data
- Responsible for the sustaining in-production products including early field failure analysis (EFFA), design improvements, rework, and setting ongoing reliability testing specs (ORT)
- 5+ years direct or equivalent work experience in Product Design
- Proven mechanical design experience
- Proficiency in industry standard CAD tools – SolidWorks a plus
- Designing parts with high cosmetic requirements
- Basic understanding of volume manufacturing processes and DFM
Beneficial to have:
- Experience with a global supply chain and contract manufacturers in a diversity of locations
- Experience in detailed failure analysis
- Experience with Finite Element Analysis
We’re working to build a more inclusive economy where our customers have equal access to opportunity, and we strive to live by these same values in building our workplace. Block is a proud equal opportunity employer. We work hard to evaluate all employees and job applicants consistently, without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, pregnancy, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, citizenship, or any other legally protected class.
We believe in being fair, and are committed to an inclusive interview experience, including providing reasonable accommodations to disabled applicants throughout the recruitment process. We encourage applicants to share any needed accommodations with their recruiter, who will treat these requests as confidentially as possible. Want to learn more about what we’re doing to build a workplace that is fair and square? Check out our I+D page.
Additionally, we consider qualified applicants with criminal histories for employment on our team, assessing candidates in a manner consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
We want you to be well and thrive. Our global benefits package includes:
- Healthcare coverage
- Retirement Plans
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Wellness perks
- Paid parental leave
- Paid time off
- Learning and Development resources
Block, Inc. (NYSE: SQ) is a global technology company with a focus on financial services. Made up of Square, Cash App, Spiral, TIDAL, and TBD, we build tools to help more people access the economy. Square helps sellers run and grow their businesses with its integrated ecosystem of commerce solutions, business software, and banking services. With Cash App, anyone can easily send, spend, or invest their money in stocks or Bitcoin. Spiral (formerly Square Crypto) builds and funds free, open-source Bitcoin projects. Artists use TIDAL to help them succeed as entrepreneurs and connect more deeply with fans. TBD is building an open developer platform to make it easier to access Bitcoin and other blockchain technologies without having to go through an institution.
We believe the economy is better when everyone has access. When everyone has room to grow. No one should be left out because the cost is too great or the technology too complex. So we’re building easy tools to empower and enrich people. Tools that shorten the distance between having an idea and making a living from it—because we believe in fair and square. We started with a little white card reader but haven’t stopped there. Our new reader helps our sellers accept chip cards and NFC payments, our Cash app lets people send money instantly, and we’re building easy tools for customers, too. We’re empowering the electrician to send invoices, setting up the food truck with a delivery option, helping the clothing boutique pay its employees, and giving the coffee chain capital for a second, third, and fourth location. We’re here to help sellers of all sizes start, run, and grow their business—and helping them grow their business is good business for everyone.