MediaLab (51-200 Employees, 2 Yr Employee Growth Rate)
div class=”section page-centered”>
MediaLab is a media & technology company focused on acquiring and growing social, messaging and entertainment properties. We were established in 2018 and already have a killer portfolio of apps and websites.
Come join an exceptionally talented team of engineers, designers, product and business builders. At MediaLab, you’ll impact the growth of some of the largest social networks, messaging apps, and music platforms in the world.
HQ is located in sunny Santa Monica, California just a stone’s throw away from the ocean. We also have growing teams in Mexico, Argentina, Brazil, Colombia & all across Latin America. Join us!
Genius is looking for a Product Designer to lead the end-to-end design of Genius’s website and mobile apps.
In the next year, with the support and resources of MediaLab, Genius will be doubling down on our core platform, building features that encourage contribution, collaboration, and engagement. In this role, you will be responsible for creating and owning the design and UX of all new features, and working closely with the product & engineering teams while they implement them.
The best candidates will be comfortable moving quickly in a startup environment, and will have some experience working on applications that cater to large audiences.
As the premier global database of lyrics and artist-focused content, Genius’s mission is to celebrate More Than The Music—the lyrics, the stories behind the songs, and the creative connections that meaningfully drive culture. Through our original content, technology, and live & virtual experiences, Genius spotlights the artists who are shaping music culture across every genre and musical discipline, sharing the stories behind their creativity and craft in their own words with over 90M+ people each month on Genius.com and everywhere music fans connect across the internet.
What You’ll Do
- Lead the design of Genius’s website and mobile apps
- Understand the needs of our highly engaged community contributors, massive viewership, and Verified artists. Craft user interfaces to delight every group, convert readers to contributors, empower contributors to add music knowledge, and allow artists to reach their fans
- Integrate ads into the product in an intentional way, striking the right balance between ad load and user experience. Design and implement custom high impact ad formats
- Work closely with product, engineering, and other stakeholders to ensure that our digital products are compelling and functional
- Work with external partners to design integrations akin to Spotify Behind the Lyrics or Genius’s Apple Music player integration
- Understand and extend a visual language for interactive systems that align with the development of our product
- Build clean and organized creative deliverables
- Work with the Product Owner of Genius and developers in order to set time expectations when working on a product
What We’re Searching For
- 3+ years product design experience
- Strong portfolio demonstrating relevant digital experience
- Previous experience with display advertising
- Strong understanding of interactivity on the web and native mobile apps and the fundamentals of UX, information architecture, hierarchy, and layout
- Careful attention to detail
- An eagerness to collaborate across disciplines with team members at all levels
- The ability to both work autonomously and as part of a team
- Deep knowledge and interest in music, digital media, social media and technology
- Experience working with Figma, Sketch, Illustrator, or similar
- Experience working in-house/tech start-up is a plus
- Experience working with prototyping software like Origami Studio is a plus
At MediaLab, we rely on a range of backgrounds, experiences, and ideas. We value diversity, and we’re proud to be an inclusive, equal opportunity workplace.