"Wikimedia Foundation, Inc." (501+ Employees, 29% 2 Yr Employee Growth Rate)
The Wikimedia Foundation is looking for a Product Manager to help build features that enable our communities to achieve our Vision: a world in which every single human being can freely share in the sum of all knowledge. This is an opportunity to ‘do good’ while having a high level of impact at a large-scale media property. Wikipedia is written and maintained by thousands of volunteers in hundreds of languages.
This role will be the first Product Manager to own the growth and development of Wikifunctions and Abstract Wikipedia. It is a truly one-of-a-kind opportunity to build the future of the internet and radically expand access to free knowledge. You will be working on an international team based in timezones UTC-8 to UTC+1.
You are responsible for:
- Lead the prioritization and development of new features and capabilities to enable the world to consume information and participate in information production
- Iterate and build growth for Wikimedia’s newest project, Wikifunctions, with the team and emergent community
- Co-create with the team, community and leadership, communicating a clear product vision to internal and external partners
- Work with a highly talented team of engineers and designers to define, design, and build features that delight
- Collaborate directly with our community of users and volunteers to improve features and build open road maps
- Understand user needs and take a human centered approach to prioritize audiences, new features and product enhancements
- Release early and often, getting feedback from users to help improve features
- Use both qualitative and quantitative methods to inform decisions and measure the impact of features
- Turn the vision and mission of Abstract Wikipedia into impact!
Skills and Experience:
- 2+ years Product Management experience
- Experience building full stack Web products
- Experience working with cross-functional teams to ship iteratively
- Outstanding written and verbal communication skills
Additionally, we’d love it if you have:
- Experience with natural language processing, computational linguistics or knowledge management technologies
- Experience working with large groups of active technical collaborators: community building, product evangelism, or participation in open source movements
- Experience with low-code or no-code platforms
- Experience writing code, especially with standard web development technologies and languages (e.g. JS, Python)
- Proficiency in more than one natural language
- Experience with multilingual products or platforms, good understanding of internationalization and localization
- Experience building for mobile web
- Experience editing Wikimedia projects
- Experience with open source software development environments
About the Wikimedia Foundation
The Wikimedia Foundation is the nonprofit organization that operates Wikipedia and the other Wikimedia free knowledge projects. Our vision is a world in which every single human can freely share in the sum of all knowledge. We believe that everyone has the potential to contribute something to our shared knowledge, and that everyone should be able to access that knowledge freely. We host Wikipedia and the Wikimedia projects, build software experiences for reading, contributing, and sharing Wikimedia content, support the volunteer communities and partners who make Wikimedia possible, and advocate for policies that enable Wikimedia and free knowledge to thrive.
The Wikimedia Foundation is a charitable, not-for-profit organization that relies on donations. We receive donations from millions of individuals around the world, with an average donation of about $15. We also receive donations through institutional grants and gifts. The Wikimedia Foundation is a United States 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organization with offices in San Francisco, California, USA.
As an equal opportunity employer, the Wikimedia Foundation values having a diverse workforce and continuously strives to maintain an inclusive and equitable workplace. We encourage people with a diverse range of backgrounds to apply. We do not discriminate against any person based upon their race, traits historically associated with race, religion, color, national origin, sex, pregnancy or related medical conditions, parental status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, genetic information, or any other legally protected characteristics.
If you are a qualified applicant requiring assistance or an accommodation to complete any step of the application process due to a disability, you may contact us at [email protected] or +1 (415) 839-6885.
U.S. Benefits & Perks*
- Health Care Benefits Covered at 100%: We cover 100% of premiums for medical, dental and vision plans for all full time employees and eligible dependents
- Wellness Reimbursement Program: Up to 1,800.00 USD per year for reimbursement for staff wellness expenses, such as gym fees, educational expenses, and more
- Technology and Equipment Stipend: In addition to receiving a brand new laptop, monitor, & docking station, all new hires receive 600.00 USD stipend to set up their space for working virtually
- Professional Development Program: Up to 750.00 USD reimbursement per year to encourage continuous learning through attending conferences, courses, workshops and the purchase of educational materials
- 401(k) Retirement Plan: Employer match of up to 4% of employee contributions dollar for dollar with no vesting period
- Paid Time Off: Generous paid time off policy of over 45 days, which includes: vacation days, at least one observed holiday a month, sick leave, and volunteer days
- Flexible Schedules: Options available to balance your personal and remote-work life
- New Parent Leave: Fully paid new parent leave for seven weeks plus an additional five weeks for pregnancy, and flexible options as you embark on your return to work
- Fertility and Adoption Reimbursement Plan: Reimburses staff up to 5,000.00 USD in expenses per year, with a lifetime maximum of 10,000.00 USD
- Assistance for those unexpected life events: Long and short term disability, life insurance, and an employee assistance program
- Pre-tax Savings Plans: Generously funded health savings accounts (HSAs), pre-tax contribution options for health care, child care & elder care, public transportation and parking expenses
*Please note that for remote roles located outside of the U.S., we defer to our PEO (Professional Employee Organization) to ensure alignment with local labor laws.