Substack lets writers connect with their audience on their own terms and earn money doing it. We make it simple for writers to publish to an email list that they own, get discovered on the web, and charge for subscriptions.
More than 500,000 people pay to subscribe to writers across the Substack network, and the top writers make millions of dollars a year. Substack’s model depends on the success of writers using Substack – we only make money when they do.
“Substack makes it dead simple to start a newsletter and get paid for it.” – Judd Legum, author of Popular Information
“Substack gives me a way to connect with my audience on my own terms.” – Lyz Lenz, author of God Land and Men Yell At Me
Make something that matters
Great writing is valuable. It respects readers’ time, their intelligence, and their trust. It helps us make sense of and change the culture we live in. At Substack, we’re building a business model that enables great writing to thrive. Learn more about our opportunity and mission.
We are a small but growing team, and there is more to build than we could ever imagine. That’s why we need you. We believe that engineering is in service to the community of writers and readers on Substack: we’re successful when they’re successful.
We aim to take pragmatic approaches to problem solving while shipping high-quality products that allow the writing on Substack to take the spotlight.
Every person at the company participates in customer support. We do this to build empathy with our users and enable us to build better products.
We believe that a diverse team will help us build a product that best serves the needs of a wildly diverse ecosystem of writers. So whatever your background or perspective, we’d welcome your input to help build the best possible version of Substack.
Services at Substack
Substack is looking for a Program Manager on our Services team to help remove barriers so writers can go independent and do their best work.
As a Program Manager, you will manage the operations of Substack Services, where we’re piloting support programs for independent writers. These services include connecting writers with independent editors/designers/legal counsel, health insurance support, and access to licensed media, among other things.
You’ll make our processes more efficient, keep our tracking up-to-date, onboard service providers to new systems, and help ensure that writers have a seamless experience accessing our services.
You will report to Substack’s Head of Services. You’ll also work closely with members of the Partnerships team and the writers they serve. Ideally, this person is based in San Francisco or NYC.
This individual must thrive in a fast-paced environment with the ability to prioritize and continuously improve how we work together to serve writers.
- Creating systems, templates, and process improvements to serve writers and service providers more efficiently
- Expanding and improving our tracking of services and service providers
- Onboarding, contracting, and ensuring payment of independent service providers and answering questions
- Onboarding independent writers onto new tools/platforms and fielding questions
- Helping manage our service “resources” (e.g. checking in with service providers on their availability) and connecting them with independent writers
- Working with legal to draft and finalize contracts, waivers, and agreements
- Organizing records/assets and reporting on service utilization and availability
- Evaluating new potential services for writers
- Minimum 3+ years of operations-related experience (e.g. program management, project management, production, operations management)
- Drive to create templates, track progress, and improve processes while executing on the work
- A creative, forward-looking approach to create systems that’ll scale well as we grow
- Experience reviewing contracts and other service agreements
- Clear, friendly, and patient written and verbal communication skills. Proven ability to efficiently communicate new processes and next steps
- Willingness to follow through to make sure writers and service providers get their questions answered
- Familiarity with organizational tools such as Google Drive, Airtable, HelloSign, HubSpot
- Positive, driven, and energetic team player; able to roll-up their sleeves to get the job done
Substack is an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status. We’re seeking people passionate about enabling independent expression and building a better business model for creators. If you want to see what media, communities, and content can become when unmoored from advertising models, and you have the skills and experience to contribute, we’d love to meet you.