Babylist (51-200 Employees, 97% 2 Yr Employee Growth Rate)
Babylist is an online universal baby registry that enables parents discover, request and buy products for newborns.
About the Role
Babylist is looking for a Revenue Manager to join our growing finance & accounting team.
As the Revenue Manager at Babylist, you will report directly to the Controller and assist with maintaining ASC 606 documentation for multiple revenue streams, monthly close activities, technical accounting determinations as they relate to revenue and other aspects of operational accounting including compliance with the annual financial statement audit.
The successful candidate will be detailed and deadline-oriented, operational, and can be highly successful in a fast-paced and collaborative startup environment.
We are looking for a bright and curious Revenue Manager with demonstrable start-up and retail experience. NetSuite experience is a must!
What You’ll Do
- Lead/manage monthly/quarterly revenue accounting close tasks including but not limited to review/prepare revenue analysis, journal entries and account reconciliations for AR/revenue/deferred revenue and related accounts.
- Participate in process improvements to streamline the monthly financial close process.
- Work effectively with cross functional business partners, including FP&A, merchandising & inventory planning as well as sales & marketing to drive best practices in revenue recognition and reporting.
- Partner with the shipping & logistics team and review/reconcile complex shipping reconciliations related to shipping revenue and related costs.
- Advise business partners on developments in accounting and financial reporting, related company policies and the external regulatory environment
- Implement revenue recognition system enhancements and automation within NetSuite.
- Review and analyze customer contracts to ensure compliance with material contact terms and associated revenue recognition implications.
- Coach and mentor senior and staff accountants to support contract negotiation, contract reviews, collections and revenue accounting monthly close
- Prepare process flows, documentation, and workbooks for new products and business changes
- Help manage the audit by providing audit requests and preparation of certain schedules within the financial statements related to revenue
- Develop and maintain internal controls over revenue processes and ensure compliance with SOX 404 controls.
- Supporting the Controller in monitoring, enforcing, and when appropriate, establishing policies and procedures necessary for mitigating risk, enhancing the accuracy of the company’s reported financial results, and ensuring that reported results comply with US GAAP
- Research revenue guidance and draft technical memos documenting the company’s application of revenue accounting standards under ASC 606.
- Maintain the Company’s SSP assessments
- Assist with ASC 606 revenue disclosures under PCAOB standards.
- Draft accounting memos on new advertising offerings to ensure revenue recognition following company policy and revenue recognition accounting standards under ASC 606.
Who You Are
- You’re curious about answering the WHY
- Demonstrate interest in consumer goods; direct-to-consumer & retail
- Technical understanding of US GAAP with the ability to summarize proper accounting treatment and be able to document these conclusions
- Consistently demonstrates a high degree of accuracy
- You know when to communicate statuses/bring up issues that you may find in a prompt manner with your Manager
- You can communicate complex insights in an easy-to-understand way for a wide range of audiences
- You’re self-directed, proactive and able to define and execute projects independently
- You have strong business acumen, and excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Your organizational skills allow you to manage multiple projects simultaneously and work cross functionally with other departments
- Ability to thrive in a fast paced and dynamic high growth environment where change is constant
What You’ve Done
- BA/BS/Master’s in Accounting
- CPA license required
- Minimum of 5-7 years of accounting/finance experience with a minimum of 2+ years in revenue accounting
- Experience in public accounting is preferred
- Experience with advertising accounting is a plus
- Meaningful experience with revenue recognition, including ASC 606.
- Advanced knowledge of Excel, including pivot tables, sumifs, v-lookup, and index formulas
- Experience in the retail/e-commerce industry is a plus
- Experience leading, coaching, and managing teams
- Experience with NetSuite
- Strong organizational and communication skills
- A team player, adept at building relationships across the organization.
- We get stuff done
- We have a real impact on people’s lives
- We’re passionate about our users and we genuinely appreciate them
- We work at a sustainable pace for long-term success (yes, we’re profitable)
- We are growing and have meaningful opportunities for career advancement
- We’re a technological and data-driven business
- We believe in autonomy and reward taking initiative
- We have experienced leadership that is always open to new ideas
- Competitive pay
- Competitive health benefits including company-funded medical, dental, and vision
- 401(k), FSA plans, and disability insurance
- Flexible, paid parental leave policy
- Flexibility to work from home and prioritize home life as we navigate the impacts of COVID-19
- Easy access to BART and commuter assistance (when we return to the office)
- We work at a sustainable pace; in general we don’t work late or on weekends, and most employees WFH on Wednesdays