Remote is solving global remote organizations’ biggest challenge: employing anyone anywhere compliantly. We make it possible for businesses big and small to employ a global team by handling global payroll, benefits, taxes, and compliance (learn more about how it works). We’re backed by A+ investors and our team is world-class, literally and figuratively, as we’re all scattered around the world.
Please check out our public handbook to learn more about our culture. We encourage folks from all ethnic groups, genders, sexuality, age and abilities to apply. If this job description resonates with you, we want to hear from you!
How we work
We love working async and this means you get to do your own schedule. We empower ownership and proactivity and when in doubt default to action instead of waiting.
This is an exciting time to join Remote and make a personal difference in the global employment space as a Risk and Compliance Officer for our financial services in the European Union (EU), joining our Financial Services Compliance team.
We are building a Financial Services subgroup within Remote. This subgroup is in the process of obtaining amongst others a financial licence in the Netherlands, an EU payment service provider licence. Together with our Risk and compliance officers from the other jurisdictions you will form the Financial Services Compliance team.
You will hold an integral management role in a well-funded, compliance-focused, global employment start-up. Not only will you have the responsibility to introduce and implement innovative anti-money laundering (AML) and counter-financing terrorism (CFT) solutions for our platform, you will also be relied upon to share guidance and expertise on Dutch and EU regulatory requirements and to support the expansion of our financial services as we look to procure licenses around the world.
This is a unique opportunity to co-architect a highly-functioning global risk and compliance team at a promising player in an emerging field. Working directly with the Head of Legal and as part of the company management, you will be instrumental in defining and executing our approach to the full range of financial regulatory considerations the project(s) will encounter. Furthermore, you will be responsible for the day-to-day communication with De Nederlandsche Bank on behalf of the licensed entity.
This translates to significant management responsibility and influence over our internal governance, risk management, monitoring and reporting on our customers as well as financial products, and our financial products launch strategy around the world.
- Experience with the Second line of Defence in the financial sector, preferably with experience in payments
- In-depth understanding of both European payments legislation (e.g. Payment Services Directive II) and Dutch financial legislation (e.g. Wet Financieel Toezicht and Wet Witwassen Financiering Terrorisme)
- Knowledgeable of conduct and prudential supervision by De Nederlandsche Bank
- Experience with customer due diligence, know-your-client, anti-money laundry and counter financing terrorism
- Understanding of risk management in the financial sector
- Writes and speaks fluent English
- It’s not required to have experience working remotely, but considered a plus
- As Risk and Compliance Officer you will be working closely with the Chief Risk Officer in the EU in setting up and managing the the Second line of Defence.
- Implementation of the risk management framework and internal governance structure, including the policy house and controls of the payment processes.
- Monitoring of and reporting on the payments business. Ensuring all customer due diligence, know-your-client, anti-money laundering and counter financing terrorism procedures are performed.
- Monitor and report key performance indicators and metrics in relation to the payment flows within the the licensed entity.
- Keep track of European and Dutch financial legislation, and guidance from De Nederlandsche Bank and the European Banking Authority.
- Corresponding with the supervisory team of De Nederlandsche Bank.
- Map and monitor local variation in requirements of all member states in relation to payments.
- Collaborate with your direct colleagues in other jurisdictions, like the United States and the United Kingdom, to ensure our global compliance.
- Build the global risk and compliance team for the financial services
- Remote work culture
- A fair and competitive salary
- The equipment/tools you need to do your job well and comfortable (MacBook Pro, screen, peripherals)
- Unlimited paid time off
- Flexible working hours
- Home office setup
- Health insurance
- Training allowance
- You’ll report to: Head of Legal
- Team: Financial Services Compliance
- Location: The Netherlands (due to location of the licensed entity)
- Start date: As soon as possible
- (async) Profile review
- Interview with recruiter
- Interview with Future manager
- Interview with Second manager
- (async) Offer
- Reference Check
How to apply
Please fill out the form below. Don’t forget to add your CV (ideally as a PDF) and a cover letter (at most a single page) explaining why do you think there’s a match between this particular role and your profile. Thank you!