The Vaan Group (1-10 Employees, N/A 2 Yr Employee Growth Rate)
Thanks for your interest in the Engineering Manager position at Vaan!
A little background:
We are Vaan – a remote-first digital agency based out of NY, but with team members all over the world. We’re looking to add an experienced Engineering Manager to our growing team!
We believe awesome technology powers the best brands, so we build it. Our technology becomes the foundation upon which businesses scale their operations, escalate their marketing efforts and grow their sales. Most of the time we’re designing and building e-commerce engines and other times we’ll be architecting custom software that enhance business operations. Regardless of what we’re making, it’s always all digital.
Recent projects we’ve taken on range from designing and building a custom web application for one of the fastest growing sneaker and streetwear companies in Europe, to leading the UX design efforts for a luxury Fortune 500 company’s overhaul of all its e-commerce properties.
We’re also a certified Shopify Plus Agency Partner, and so we do a lot of work using the Shopify platform. You can see a more detailed sampling of our client work on our website.
As an Engineering Manager at Vaan, you will be responsible for managing a team of developers, collaborating with our product management and project management teams, and improving engineering department policies, standards, and processes.
The successful candidate will have prior experience in an organizational leadership role, be able to collaborate with team members across departments, and be a strategic problem solver. Excellent communication skills, an ability to connect with other developers, and a strong technical background in software engineering are important prerequisites for this position.
On any given day, you might:
- Lead a team of engineers through process and personnel management and mentorship
- Work with other leaders in the organization to devise and execute a recruiting strategy for technical personnel
- Develop standards and procedures to ensure that development quality standards are met and consistent across projects
- Prepare and optimize budgets in collaboration with leadership
- Develop the engineering team to ensure individual objectives overlap with company objectives, and ultimately produce quality end products
- Prioritize, delegate, and supervise work from engineering team members
- Manage, support, and evaluate the engineers’ performance
- Supervise the work of multiple engineers and provide support to help members get unblocked
- Collaborate with senior engineers/technical leads to help plan strategies for on-time project completion
- Facilitate sprint estimations from developers and collaborate with product and project management teams to address sprint planning
- Assist the team with triaging and prioritizing software development issues
- Interface with an interdisciplinary internal team of product and project managers, designers, and external stakeholders as a representative of the technical team
The ideal person:
- Is a natural leader with strong communication and organizational skills
- Works well with interdisciplinary teams, i.e. Product Management, Project Management, Design, etc.
- Has a strong technical background and continually stays up to date with technical trends, best practices, and new technologies
- Has strong architecture and programming skills and isn’t afraid to get his/her hands dirty with code
- Has strong foundational knowledge of both frontend and backend development languages, frameworks, and methodologies
- Has experience working with software development teams in sprint formats
- Has experience working with engineering personnel to achieve short-term project and long-term organization goals
- Has experience with performance management
Our tech stack:
We deploy our apps as Docker containers to Heroku platform, backed up by Heroku-hosted instances of PostgreSQL, Apache Kafka, and Redis. Vercel is our platform of choice for deploying Next.js front-ends.
We avoid self-hosted approaches, e.g., Kubernetes clusters. Instead, we prefer to focus on achieving business goals, e.g., “time-to-market”, development-production parity, and excellent developer-centric experience.
We are looking to level-up our GitOps automation on GitHub by implementing Infrastructure as Code practices using Terraform and similar tools.
Other things you should know:
- Salary commensurate with experience
- We are a global agency, but written and verbal English proficiency is required
Please include your resume with your application, and a brief overview of your experience in a similar role.