FireHydrant (51-200 Employees, 525% 2 Yr Employee Growth Rate)
About the Role
As a software engineer, you’ll build the foundational services that power our product and scale to meet our customer’s needs. You’ll work with a variety of technologies as you design, build, and ship our rapidly expanding product. As an early member of our team, you’ll get to lay the groundwork for future product innovation and scaling capabilities.
We’re looking for people with a strong background or interest in building developer-focused products, care deeply about security and customer trust, and are comfortable learning new skills that will deliver value to our customers.
About the Team
Incident Management is part of our Product Engineering group responsible for building tools that allow our clients to respond, remediate, and resolve major incidents with consistency throughout the incident lifecycle. We develop integrations with communication tools like Slack and MS Teams and manage Kubernetes clusters for our internal Status Page tool enabling customers to manage their incidents more effectively and openly. We are a cross-functional team with expertise across multiple domains, from databases to front ends to telephony and everything in between.
We are a team with high levels of psychological safety that gets things done, we understand our software at a deep level and are always pushing to learn more. You will report to Jouhné Scott, one of our Engineering Managers. We are a supportive team that swarms when problems arise and give great feedback to help each other grow. We are passionate about many things: continuous improvement, working at a brisk but sustainable pace, writing resilient code, maintaining production reliability, paying down technical debt, hiring fantastic teammates; and we love to share these passions with each other.
The work you’ll do
- Build and maintain a reliable and beautiful frontend end interface that enables frictionless Incident Management
- Work with Customer Support & Success to solve customer issues around our areas of the application
What we’re looking for
- Has a drive to ensure our application’s important systems are high quality, scalable and user-friendly
- Enjoys working on new challenges and brings a core set of modern React skills to solve them
- Can pick the right technologies for the job, and is excited to learn the right technologies when they need to
- Takes ownership of a project from concept to production
- Enjoys working with, teaching, and learning from a diverse group of people
- Build a reliable and flexible user interface enabling simplified incident declaration
- Spike upon and implement options for displaying a more comprehensive and collaborative retrospective experience
- Partner with design on creating an intuitive and useful incident command center
What you will accomplish in…
In one month, you’ll
- Become familiar with our product, our customers, and how our teams work to improve them
- Meet with the founders, leaders across FireHydrant and peers across engineering to understand how we work
- Get up to speed by taking on impactful pieces of work alongside more tenured engineers beginning the first week
In three months, you’ll
- Work with our customers to resolve issues they’ve encountered within our application by being on our Escalation Engineer rotation.
- Improve our React strategies and maintainability.
- Assist in breaking down stories from open-ended product and design feature requests.
In 6 months, you’ll
- Be on call to address an outage with our systems.
- Mentor more early-career engineers across disciplines.
- Become more active within the engineering team to help improve and shape hiring and onboarding new Frontend engineers.
- Have established career-progressing goals with your manager and have started working toward them.
In one year, you’ll
- Have completed several features.
- Have a deep understanding of your team’s domain within our codebase and a rough understanding of the machinations of other areas outside of your team scope.
Technology we use
- React, Redux, and Redux-Saga, Formik
- Golang, Ruby, Rails, Grape (API)
- RSpec, Jest, Cypress
- Docker and Docker Compose for local development
- Google Kubernetes Engine, GitOps, CircleCI
- Google PubSub, Protocol Buffers
FireHydrant is building the only platform focused on site reliability. The FireHydrant platform includes Incident Response, Status Pages, and more, so companies can take control of their complex system, reduce downtime for their customers, and work better together. We’re a Series B company with around 80 employees (and growing!) who sit across the United States. Check out our blog to learn more about us.
Life at FireHydrant
- We’re remote-first with employees around the US, our headquarters is in NYC (Union Square)
- 1-2x per year we will gather as a company, depending on the safety of such gathering, and have virtual events throughout the year
- We collaborate through Slack, Zoom, Figma, Notion, and Shortcut
- Kind candor – we expect honesty delivered through kindness, first and foremost
- Transparency & equity – information is shared openly in Slack channels; we welcome ideas and contribution regardless of role or experience level
- Mutual mentorship – we believe in the power of mentorship and that everyone (of all skill levels) has something to learn, and something to teach
- 100% employer-paid health, vision and dental premiums for the employee and 75% of dependents
- Unlimited vacation policy with a minimum requirement of three weeks off per-year, with sustainable working hours and healthy work/life balance
- Home office stipend: get your workspace set up in a way that works best for you
- 401k match
FireHydrant believes that everyone should be compensated fairly and we strive for transparency within our organization and the industry. We set our salaries at the 75th percentile based on compensation data from hundreds of companies at our stage and everyone in a given role is paid the same without adjusting for locality. The comp for this role is $165,000 (SWE III), $190,000 (Senior), or $215,000 (Staff) depending on leveling/title.
- FireHydrant requires that all newly hired employees are fully vaccinated against COVID-19, subject to reasonable accommodations provided based on medical need or religious belief.
- All employees must be able to show authorization to work in the US.