Civic Eagle (11-50 Employees, N/A 2 Yr Employee Growth Rate)
Civic Eagle helps organizations more effectively advocate for public policy changes with a bleeding-edge product that is backed by our proprietary civic data and analytics. We are a diverse team guided by a vision to improve democracy and increase transparency. We provide services to hundreds of public policy advocacy organizations, Fortune 1000 corporations, and millions of people looking to engage in democracy.
We’ve recently raised our $10M Series A round: this is an exciting opportunity to join a fast-growing company backed by blue-chip investors.
We are seeking a Senior Fullstack Web Engineer to join our Enview web application team. You will play a key role in building a web application for passionate users who advocate for legislation in Congress and all 50 states. The role will drive new feature development and architecture improvements at every level of our web application stack. This is an individual contributor role that reports to the Enview Software Engineering Manager
What you will do:
- Deliver feature improvements and bug fixes to Enview, a legislation tracking web application built on React and Node.js
- Work directly with Product Managers to scope, plan, and estimate new features as part of an agile development process
- Actively seek out and implement architecture improvements and refactoring projects to improve app reliability and developer quality-of-life
- Grow the team’s skills by mentoring teammates, sharing knowledge on tools and techniques, and writing clear documentation
- Brings 5+ years of hands-on experience delivering highly interactive web applications
- Can design and build clear, maintainable, and performant APIs for web applications
- Is already an expert in the Node ecosystem or is excited to gain depth of experience in Yarn, Webpack, esbuild, NPM, and related tools
- Can mentor others in a preferred set of web engineering best practices
- Has successfully diagnosed and resolved performance bottlenecks in a production web application
- Is confident with SQL and familiar with data modeling and implementing new database schemas
- Has demonstrated the ability to move strategic software enhancements forward through proposal, collaboration, and feedback
- May have experience with any of the following (not required but a plus):
- Browser automation tools like Puppeteer or Selenium
- Upholds our company values: We put people first. We believe in transparency. We are audacious thinkers and doers.
- Has experience and willingness to work in a remote-first, distributed team.
- Gets excited about delivering tools that truly move the needle for people who do important, world-changing work.
- Believes that diversity and communication are core strengths in an engineering team.
- Wants to join a startup at the stage where culture is being actively established and engineering habits are being molded.
- Cares about civic engagement and the health of our democracy.
$126K to $158K depending on location and experience
To set compensation, we use market research and a defined career advancement ladder. Our goal is to make the compensation scale equitable inside the company, rather than being driven entirely by ad hoc negotiation (which can be a vector for bias). This is certainly a challenge in the engineering market, but one we welcome in service of one of our core values: transparency.
Example geographic adjustments for a senior engineer at the same experience level, living in:
- Minneapolis: $127,000
- Chicago: $135,000
- New York: $140,000
- San Francisco: $158,000
- Stock options
- Health, dental, and vision benefits for you and your family
- High-trust remote working environment & free co-working space
- Flexible work hours – unlimited Your Time Off (YTO)
- Paid family leave
- Professional development stipend
Civic Eagle is on a mission to use technology to promote better democratic outcomes. It starts with providing better access to information about the policies that impact us. We believe that by making public policy more accessible and transparent, we can start to make changes to the way that communities and organizations advocate for themselves. We envision a world where people are heard and communities are genuinely served. We have the unique opportunity to use today’s advancements in technology to make this a reality. We’d love for you to join us on this mission!
What do our products do?
- Surface all proposed laws across state and federal governments
- Enable users to track, tag, and annotate proposed laws, so they can take action
- Notify users about changes and related proposals that they might otherwise miss
- Facilitate collaboration within teams and organizations to make advocacy more powerful
- Provide a foundation of open civic data to academics, journalists, and the public