Rakuten Americas (501+ Employees, 8% 2 Yr Employee Growth Rate)
ShopStyle Engineering Group is searching for an experienced Senior Natural Language Processing (NLP) Engineer to lead the implementation of systems that power our search and recommendation engines. We need an engineer who is technically strong, energetic, organized, highly collaborative and passionate about language, semantics, ontology, and search.
Our flagship product is the ShopStyle site. It is a frontend to a powerful semantic search engine designed for clothing, home and lifestyle products. We maintain a catalog of over a 100 million products and seek to enhance the shopping experience for our members through better understanding of both the catalog contents as well as user intent. We integrate natural language processing, data analysis, and business intelligence into our search algorithms to deliver features like personalized feeds, messaging, and results to our customers.
As the Senior Engineer in NLP, you will support the design and implementation of our semantic search and product enrichment. Working in collaboration with our data analysts and catalog teams, you will continually optimize the query understanding, ontology, and search integrations. With the product and business intelligence teams, you will iterate on our semantic search algorithms to meet customer needs.
Our philosophy of bringing the very best to our customers extends to our employees, who are the driving force behind our vision. With offices in San Francisco, San Mateo, New York, Los Angeles, and London, we are passionate about our culture and are always seeking talented, creative individuals to help us change the way people shop.
- Work on world class semantic search, improving quality, scalability, and features
- Develop and integrate enrichment algorithms to improve search quality and value
- Extract and improve the highest value search semantics to support new use cases
- Improve search quality and performance by using data, metrics and analysis
- 5+ years of experience with Java, microservices, and version control systems
- 3+ years of experience with NLP-related technologies, such as statistical NLP, Lexical semantics, Query understanding
- Working knowledge of Artificial Intelligence Learning technologies, such as Word2Vec, Blazing Text, Elasticsearch, Lucene, OpenNLP, etc
- Experience with large distributed systems
- Degree in CS or Mathematics
- Experience with Amazon SageMaker or Amazon Personalize
- Passion for Statistics, Applied Mathematics, and solving difficult problems
RAKUTEN SHUGI PRINCIPLES
Our worldwide practices describe specific behaviors that make Rakuten unique and united across the world. We expect Rakuten employees to model these 5 Shugi Principles of Success.
- Always improve, always advance. Only be satisfied with complete success – Kaizen.
- Be passionately professional. Take an uncompromising approach to your work and be determined to be the best.
- Hypothesize – Practice – Validate – Shikumika. Use the Rakuten Cycle to success in unknown territory.
- Maximize Customer Satisfaction. The greatest satisfaction for workers in a service industry is to see their customers smile.
- Speed!! Speed!! Speed!! Always be conscious of time. Take charge, set clear goals, and engage your team.