Activision (501+ Employees, 2 Yr Employee Growth Rate)
Senior Online Engineer – Remote
Raven Software is looking for a dedicated Senior Online Engineer to help bring our online experience to the next level. As an Online Engineer, you will help develop an exciting networked game experience for our players, being responsible for client features, multiplayer systems, online community features, tools, and more.
Priorities can often change in a fast-paced environment like ours, so this role includes, but is not limited to, the following responsibilities:
- Design, Implement, debug and optimize systems in C/C++ and scripting languages.
- Work closely with other Engineering and Design teams (Gameplay, UI) as well as the Backend developers to prototype, develop, and refine features.
- Author or contribute to technical designs and documentation.
- Optimize and maintain existing code. Instrument, analyze, and optimize network game traffic and participate in the performance and code review process.
- Take ownership of a larger Online system or tools.
- 4+ years of programming experience with at least 1-year focus on networking and online systems.
- Shipped 1+ game title(s).
- Proficiency in C/C++ and experience with a scripting language(s).
- Excellent knowledge of algorithms, data structures, performance, and multi-threaded programming techniques.
- Proven ability to write clean, portable, reliable, and optimized code that complies with existing coding standards.
- Proficiency in client-server networking architecture.
- Good understanding of network protocols, RESTful APIs and JSON.
- Ability to quickly understand and work with internal and externally developed code.
- Excellent communication skills and the ability to collaborate with other engineers, systems designers and producers.
- Ability to work well in a fluid, changing environment as creative challenges evolve.
Nice to have:
- University-level degree in Computer Science or related field (preferably with an emphasis on Networking or Games).
- Experience with LUA, Python, and other script languages.
- Experience with matchmaking and party management systems.
- Experience in data science (SQL, visualization, analysis, pipelines). Experience working with first party online services such as Xbox Live, PlayStation Network, or Steam.
About Raven Software
Founded in 1990, Raven Software is the developer of numerous award-winning games including Hexen, Star Wars Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast, Marvel: Ultimate Alliance and most recently, a major contributor to the blockbuster Call of Duty® franchise. We are based in Middleton, Wisconsin, a suburb of Madison, annually ranked on numerous lists as one of the top places to live and work. We each bring a unique set of experiences from dozens of cultural backgrounds.
Activision Blizzard, Inc. (NASDAQ: ATVI), is one of the world’s largest and most successful interactive entertainment companies and is at the intersection of media, technology and entertainment. We are home to some of the most beloved entertainment franchises including Call of Duty®, World of Warcraft®, Overwatch®, Diablo®, Candy Crush™ and Bubble Witch™. Our combined entertainment network delights hundreds of millions of monthly active users in 196 countries, making us the largest gaming network on the planet!
Our ability to build immersive and innovate worlds is only enhanced by diverse teams working in an inclusive environment. We aspire to have a culture where everyone can thrive in order to connect and engage the world through epic entertainment. We provide a suite of benefits that promote physical, emotional and financial well-being for ‘Every World’ – we’ve got our employees covered!
The videogame industry and therefore our business is fast-paced and will continue to evolve. As such, the duties and responsibilities of this role may be changed as directed by the Company at any time to promote and support our business and relationships with industry partners.
Raven Software is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, protected veteran status, or any other basis protected by applicable law and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.