"CarMax, Inc." (501+ Employees, 8% 2 Yr Employee Growth Rate)
CarMax, the way your career should be!
The Sr. Product Designer is responsible for translating complex consumer and business needs into simple and elegant user experiences for CarMax’s digital properties that are industry-leading and brand-defining. He/she will lead the Product Design for large and/or complex products/product groups. He/she will drive collaboration, develop solutions and make recommendations based on user research and industry best practices to translate business strategies into world class online experiences that are grounded in consumer truths. In partnership with Product, Strategy and Engineering, he/she will be progressive, efficient and highly engaged; providing creative methods of interpreting customer perspectives.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Create intuitive and elegant product design solutions that solve complex consumer problems and drive business results
• Communicate solutions to stakeholders and executives in a manner that simplifies complexity and generates excitement
• Participate in user experience research to understand consumer needs, opportunities and pain points to continually inform an iterative design and discovery process
• Collect and synthesize qualitative and quantitative research to inform and validate design decisions
• Collaborate and partner with Product Managers, Designers, Analysts and Developers throughout the discovery, design and development process
• Create visual artifacts to articulate, inform and validate ideas with consumers and stakeholders (prototypes, wireframes, sketches, journey maps, personas, etc.)
• Create detailed design deliverables utilizing and contributing to the CarMax design language system and pattern library
• Stay current on all the tools, principles and practices in product design, prototyping and development, and drive for continuous improvement
• Facilitate meetings and brainstorming sessions that are organized and productive
• Mentor and train junior members of the design team on industry and CarMax best practices
• Advocate for high standards of excellence in providing delightful and rewarding user experiences, and proactively support the team in achieving them
• Proven track record devising and designing high-quality consumer products (web or mobile) in collaboration with product management and engineering partners.
• Passion for technology and design, and the drive to stay on top of industry trends and best practices
• Persuasive communicator – able to explain complex or intangible concepts to stakeholders at all levels
• Good listener – weighs input from multiple perspectives when forming opinions and recommendations
• Collaborative and team oriented work approach
• Solid understanding of user-centered design processes and ability to balance customer needs with business goals and metrics in developing solutions
• Experience with brainstorming techniques and getting consensus among a large, diverse group of stakeholders
• Experience leveraging user research and the ability to clearly articulate your design decisions and what problems they’re solving
• Strong Product Design principles and deliverables, including rapid prototyping, journey maps, detailed flows, and pattern libraries etc.
• Ability to convert ideas quickly into design artifacts
• Ability to perform design critiques and supply objective feedback to others
• Strong critical thinking and analysis skills
• Able to train and mentor others in design methodologies and best practices
• Experience designing and prototyping native app and web solutions for a range of screen sizes/resolutions: mobile, tablet, desktop, etc.
• Experience with Agile development processes
• Responsive/adaptive design experience a plus
• E-commerce experience a plus
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE:
• 5+ years experience within the fields of product, interaction and visual design/development
• BA/BS degree
• Portfolio or work samples showcasing product design prowess, creativity, and depth of thought coupled with fluency in best practices for Interaction Design, Visual Design, Prototyping and Front End Development
• Have an advanced understanding of:
• mobile technology
• web technology
• design principles
• user-centered design process
• presentation methods
• usability and user research methods
• data analysis
• collaboration techniques
Work location is flexible if approved by the Company except that position may not be performed remotely from Hawaii or Colorado
CarMax disrupted the auto industry by delivering the honest, transparent and high-integrity experience customers want and deserve. This innovative thinking around the way cars are bought and sold has helped us become the nation’s largest retailer of used cars, with over 200 locations nationwide.
Our amazing team of more than 25,000 associates work together to deliver iconic customer experiences. Along the way, we help every associate grow their career and achieve their best, at work and in their community. We are recognized for our commitment to training and diversity and are one of the FORTUNE 100 Best Companies to Work For®.
Our Commitment to Diversity and Inclusion:
CarMax is committed to bringing together people from different backgrounds and perspectives, providing employees with a safe, welcoming, and inclusive work environment.
CarMax is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified candidates will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, and any other characteristics protected by law.
Upon an applicant’s request, CarMax will consider reasonable accommodation to complete the CarMax Job Application.