FetLife (BitLove) (11-50 Employees, N/A 2 Yr Employee Growth Rate)
At FetLife we’re looking for a Senior Rails Engineer to help us better serve the community.
As a Rails Engineer, you’ll be working with the product team focusing on building, releasing, and testing new product features. Additionally, we’re always looking for ways to improve our codebase to make it more performant and easier to maintain.
Currently, our entire platform is built as a majestic Rails monolith, using Vue.js with Typescript on the front-end.
More details about our tech stack:
- Testing is done with RSpec & Capybara
- Continuous integration and deployment are done with CircleCI
- MySQL and PostgreSQL for our main databases
- Redis and KeyDB for our activity feeds, session storage, queue management, and caching (currently migrating to ScyllaDB)
- ElasticSearch for full-text search
- DevOps using Containers orchestrated with Kubernetes and Helm
- Service and performance monitoring is done with DataDog and NewRelic
Here are some past projects we’ve worked on that might help you get a better idea of what it means to work as a Rails Engineer at FetLife:
- Implemented a profile verification system from the ground up using government ID and/or pictures portraying a certain gesture
- Added discussion pre-moderation for groups
- Added support for installing FetLife as a Progressive Web App
- Improved the efficiency of our Activity Feed Deliveries by splitting longer feed event deliveries into smaller async jobs and prioritizing delivery to more recently active members
- Introduced the possibility of tagging other members in pictures, videos, and writings
- Added powerful filtering to our on-site reporting system using ElasticSearch
- Improved location privacy for all our members by introducing granular location privacy settings
- Integrate Machine Learning solutions to detect age or potentially illegal content
We’re looking for someone who has proven experience building and maintaining large production-level Ruby on Rails applications in the past.
Ideally, you have experience:
- Working with Redis, MySQL or PostgreSQL
- Writing unit and integration tests using RSpec and Capybara
Additionally, since we’re 100% remote, we:
- Highly value strong written communicators
- Require at least a few hours of overlap from 8-12 AM EST (2-6 PM CET)
Unique to Us
Every organization is a bit different, here are some unique things about us:
- We believe the traditional hiring process is broken, so we do things a bit differently. We first bring people on a part-time or full-time contractor so that we can get to know each other. If both sides enjoy working with each other, we make you an official offer.
- We have little to no meetings, we focus on written async communication instead
- The tenure of a Rails Engineer at FetLife is 2-3x longer than average
- You will work on high-impact projects that will make a difference in many people’s lives
- You can always ask questions to your team when you get stuck, but we do appreciate people who are self-sufficient
- Get to learn a lot because we are a small team and everyone gets to work on different parts of the system. Nobody specializes.
- We value focused productive work over long hours. We don’t want people to burn out. We want people to work at a consistent pace they can maintain year after year
FetLife is the largest kinky social network on this side of the milky way. We:
- Have over 10 million members and growing
- Grew 100% by word-of-mouth
- Serve over 1.5 billion requests a day
You can find our team and core values here.
Pay & Benefits
We use a standardised salary calculator for each position to ensure we are competitive, fair, and consistent. For this specific role, the rate is between $115k – $155k USD / year. Rate is dependent on the level you are currently at.
Additionally, we offer:
- Paid time off:
- 2 weeks vacation
- 5 statutory holidays (e.g. Easter & Thanksgiving)
- 2 weeks during Christmas*
- 4 day work weeks during the summer months (July & August)*
- 1 retreat a year (e.g. the last one’s were in Miami, Vancouver, Tennessee & Montreal)
- A yearly anniversary gift of your choosing (200$ USD for every year with us, e.g. 4th anniversary is $800)
- Reimbursed music subscription
- Fully paid maternal or parental leave
* Not guaranteed, but have happened every year
How to Apply
Send an email to [email protected]. In the email, please include:
- Quick introduction about yourself and why you believe you are the right person for this role
- Tell us about 2-3 of your favourite projects you worked on
- Link to your GitHub or GitLab account (if you have one)
- Link to your LinkedIn profile -and/or- a copy of your resume in PDF format
If you have any questions or concerns, please don’t hesitate to email us at [email protected]life.com!