MariaDB is making a big impact on the world. Whether you’re checking your bank account, buying a coffee, shopping online, making a phone call, listening to music, taking out a loan or ordering takeout – MariaDB is the backbone of applications used everyday. Companies small and large, including 75% of the Fortune 500 run MariaDB, touching the lives of billions of people. With massive reach through Linux distributions, enterprise deployments and public clouds, MariaDB is uniquely positioned as the leading database for modern application development.
Do you love the challenge of new and interesting problems? Do you have a knack for automating anything you have to do more than twice? If you answered yes, then you’ll love working on our Remote DBA team at MariaDB as we grow our exciting SkySQL cloud platform solution.
The Remote DBA team works with customers around the world. Each customer’s deployments and challenges are unique, offering something new day after day. You will help our customers succeed by delivering expert-level Remote DBA services including database monitoring, making recommendations to improve performance and durability, fixing things when they break, helping design new architectures and implementing best practices, performing upgrades, configuring and monitoring backups, assisting with recoveries, and other related DBA-level tasks as needed. You will utilize advanced troubleshooting skills and creative problem-solving capabilities. You must be self-motivated and capable of working autonomously.
We are a “virtual” team, distributed globally, telecommuting via the Internet. We make heavy use of email, Slack, the web, ssh, and similar “remote” technologies. Prior experience in this form of working environment is ideal.
Because we must provide coverage to our customers 24x7x365, this position does occasionally involve work on nights, weekends, and holidays, however, we leverage our global team to minimize the impact as much as possible. The ideal shift rotation will be Tuesday-Saturday or Sunday-Thursday. Other flexible schedules with weekend coverage desirable.
- Perform DBA activities remotely with customers around the world
- Automate various DBA tasks
- Set up monitoring and other activities on customer servers
- Perform periodic health checks and reports on customer systems
- Participate in the community by blogging and other social media
- Help the MariaDB team build tools and enhancements around MariaDB
- Help improve practices and common methodologies for Remote DBA team
- Ability to be on-call as needed to guarantee customer SLAs
- Manage SkySQL customers across cloud environments
- Provide coverage during the day in North American time zones (Pacific/Hawaii/Alaska timezones preferred, not required)
- Ability to travel internationally for company-related meetings
- Passion for serving customers and solving technical problems
- Expert knowledge of MariaDB/MySQL and surrounding tools
- Experience in a 24×7 support environment
- Strong knowledge of SQL query writing and optimization
- Strong knowledge of database design, administration, and architecture
- In-depth knowledge of various high availability environments and technologies
- Proficient with multiple backup utilities (mydumper, MariaDB Backup, Xtrabackup, mysqldump, etc.)
- Very strong troubleshooting and problem-solving skills
- Comfortable working remotely (equipment provided)
- Excellent written and spoken English communication skills
Bonus Experience and Skills
- Prior MariaDB, Percona, or MySQL Support Engineer experience
- Previous experience working remotely
- Proficient in one or more scripting language (bash, python, Go, etc.)
- Sysadmin experience (Linux, Windows, etc.)
- Working knowledge of other database systems (Oracle, MS SQL Server, Postgres, RDS/Aurora, MongoDB, etc.)
- Contributions to open-source software in the MariaDB/MySQL ecosystem
- Experience with other MariaDB products such as MaxScale, ColumnStore, Cluster/Galera, Clustrix/Xpand, etc.
- Proficient with virtualization software (Xen, Virtualbox, Vmware, etc.)
- Experience with cloud offerings
- Experience with automation toolsets
- Experience with containers and kubernetes
- MariaDB/MySQL monitoring software experience
- MariaDB and/or MySQL certifications
Redwood City, CA or remote in the USA. Pacific time zone shift preferred, but flexible. The ideal shift rotation will be Tuesday-Saturday or Sunday-Thursday. Other flexible schedules with weekend coverage desirable.
How to Apply
MariaDB does not sponsor work visas or relocation.
MariaDB is committed to providing any necessary accommodations for individuals with disabilities within our application and interview process. To request an accommodation due to a disability, please inform your recruiter.
MariaDB is an equal opportunity employer.