Allstate (501+ Employees, 7% 2 Yr Employee Growth Rate)
The world isn’t standing still, and neither is Allstate. We’re moving quickly, looking across our businesses and brands and taking bold steps to better serve customers’ evolving needs. That’s why now is an exciting time to join our team. You’ll have opportunities to take risks, challenge the status quo and shape the future for the greater good.
You’ll do all this in an environment of excellence and the highest ethical standards – a place where values such as integrity, inclusive diversity and accountability are paramount. We empower every employee to lead, drive change and give back where they work and live. Our people are our greatest strength, and we work as one team in service of our customers and communities.
Everything we do at Allstate is driven by a shared purpose: to protect people from life’s uncertainties so they can realize their hopes and dreams. For more than 89 years we’ve thrived by staying a step ahead of whatever’s coming next – to give customers peace of mind no matter what changes they face. We acted with conviction to advocate for seat belts, air bags and graduated driving laws. We help give survivors of domestic violence a voice through financial empowerment. We’ve been an industry leader in pricing sophistication, telematics, digital photo claims and, more recently, device and identity protection. We are the Good Hands. We don’t follow the trends. We set them.
The Software Engineer Senior Consultant I role allows you to participate in a greenfield development effort to replace legacy systems. A somewhat rare occurrence in modern software development. Collaborate with designers, analysts, and testers to deliver high-performing high-quality software products in an agile setting. Day-to-day work involves implementing user stories requiring medium to complex Java solutions on a large-scale Platform as a Service (PaaS) technology.
You are expected to promote a healthy team culture by encouraging learning and challenging ideas, especially through code reviews and design discussions. Ensure high quality code through various forms of testing including unit & component testing. Work with leads to establish, influence, and refine coding best practices. Take ownership of continuous integration & delivery pipelines to get code to production quickly. You will also support the running of the product in production. You will develop a working knowledge of the complex solutions required to deliver innovative products at the nation’s largest publicly held insurer for personal lines.
- Actively engages in story planning and estimation.
- Implements medium complexity stories.
- Collaborates with other engineers, testers, and business experts to foster a high performing inclusive culture.
- Actively participates in the design of software components.
- Actively engages in code reviews to yield the highest quality code possible.
- Uses experience to challenge approaches but also makes reasonable compromises to achieve delivery objectives.
- Uses analytical skills to diagnose support issues that may not be well understood initially.
- Participates in all agile ceremonies with an iterative mindset including retrospectives to gather feedback and derive actionable items to improve the team and the product.
- Participates in executing the strategy, keeping the customer needs and wants in mind.
- Supports an environment of continuous learning through helping others and sharing expertise.
- A college degree or equivalent experience in Computer Science or similar field, including a solid understanding of Computer Science fundamentals
- 1 – 3+ years of developing and implementing systems at scale preferably in Java.
- Java development skills preferably with experience in Spring
- Working knowledge of Gradle
- Experience with CI/CD pipelines in Jenkins
- Basic understanding of design patterns, object-oriented principles, and a desire to continuously improve code.
- Good understanding of distributed systems, REST principles, databases, and security best practices.
- Good understanding of software testing techniques at all levels
- Good understanding of data modeling and familiarity with XML and JSON schema standards.
- Ability to learn new code bases quickly
- Familiarity with Platform as a Service (PaaS) and container-based technologies a plus.
- Experience with Apache Kafka a plus.
- Knowledge of Apache Avro a plus.
The preceding description is not designed to be a complete list of all duties and responsibilities. May be required to perform other related duties as assigned. Regular, predictable attendance is an essential function of this job.
We will consider professionals, with 3-7 years of experience, for 1-2 levels higher at a Senior Consultant II and Lead Software Engineering professionals. The salary shared is a target salary range and not the full range, for a Senior Consultant I. Salaries will depend on the level of experience and education obtained.
Compensation offered for this role is $60,100.00-$102,625.00 per year and is based on experience and qualifications.
The candidate(s) offered this position will be required to submit to a background investigation, which includes a drug screen.
Good Work. Good Life. Good Hands®.
As a Fortune 100 company and industry leader, we provide a competitive salary – but that’s just the beginning. Our Total Rewards package also offers benefits like tuition assistance, medical and dental insurance, as well as a robust pension and 401(k). Plus, you’ll have access to a wide variety of programs to help you balance your work and personal life — including a generous paid time off policy. For a full description of Allstate’s benefits, visit allstate.jobs/benefits/
Allstate generally does not sponsor individuals for employment-based visas for this position.
Effective July 1, 2014, under Indiana House Enrolled Act (HEA) 1242, it is against public policy of the State of Indiana and a discriminatory practice for an employer to discriminate against a prospective employee on the basis of status as a veteran by refusing to employ an applicant on the basis that they are a veteran of the armed forces of the United States, a member of the Indiana National Guard or a member of a reserve component.
For jobs in San Francisco, please click “here” for information regarding the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
For jobs in Los Angeles, please click “here” for information regarding the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance.
To view the “EEO is the Law” poster click “here“. This poster provides information concerning the laws and procedures for filing complaints of violations of the laws with the Office of Federal Contract Compliance Programs
To view the FMLA poster, click “here“. This poster summarizing the major provisions of the Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA) and telling employees how to file a complaint.
It is the Company’s policy to employ the best qualified individuals available for all jobs. Therefore, any discriminatory action taken on account of an employee’s ancestry, age, color, disability, genetic information, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual and reproductive health decision, marital status, medical condition, military or veteran status, national origin, race (include traits historically associated with race, including, but not limited to, hair texture and protective hairstyles), religion (including religious dress), sex, or sexual orientation that adversely affects an employee’s terms or conditions of employment is prohibited. This policy applies to all aspects of the employment relationship, including, but not limited to, hiring, training, salary administration, promotion, job assignment, benefits, discipline, and separation of employment.