Codecademy (201-500 Employees, 145% 2 Yr Employee Growth Rate)
We are NYC based, but remote friendly unless specified. (US & Canada based candidates only)
Hello, World! Codecademy is on a mission to build inspiring careers in technology through engaging, accessible, and interactive online coding education.
Our learners have gone on to start new jobs, launch new companies, and lead new lives thanks to their work with Codecademy, and our platform has transformed the way businesses develop and retain their teams.
Since 2011, our team has grown to over 200 employees serving 50+ million learners from 190+ countries. We’ve raised over $82M in venture capital funding from top investors including Prosus, Owl Ventures, Union Square Ventures, Y Combinator, and more–which gives us the capital to get stuff done in an impactful way.
Join us to help build a business that empowers tens of millions of people to lead better lives!
We are NYC based but remote friendly!
A company’s ability to track events is the key to improving and optimizing its business model. An event provides information about how users interact with the company website and its product. Determining what events to track is foundational in this context, as there are hundreds or thousands of possibilities. As a result, Codecademy is looking for a Senior Software Engineer to join our data team and partner with Product, Engineering, Marketing and Design to devise a strategy to track events in our platform. Our application continues to collect and process thousands of data points each day, we use this data to provide more intelligent recommendations and learning solutions for our millions of learners. We believe that everyone’s learning journey is unique and we can leverage data to personalize learning for each user.
Our data team works on three key areas: building a data platform, building and supporting ML models, and building and supporting analytics (internal and external). In this role you work with engineering and design teams to implement event tracking across our products so we can better understand all of our different learners.
WHAT YOU’LL DO
- Assess our current client-side, server side events, corresponding metadata, and tracking specs.
- Partner closely with the Product, Engineering, Marketing and Design teams and other key stakeholders to formulate questions for analysis.
- Translate questions into related events and processes.
- Determine what events to track.
- Build and maintain the event tracking system for both internal and external use cases.
- Design, define, implement, optimize and maintain new and existing events and their properties, entities, naming conventions and data tracking plans.
- Collaborate with a cross-functional team of product managers, software/data/analytics engineers and data scientists.
WHAT YOU’LL NEED
- Ability to think critically about Codecademy’s business model and how it can be improved.
- The ability to break down real-world situations into stages that can be described by event data.
- Familiarity with the database technologies we use in production: MongoDB, Redis, PostgreSQL.
- Ability to make pragmatic engineering decisions, write extensive tests and create documentation.
- Strong project management skills; a proven ability to gather and translate requirements from stakeholders across functions and teams into tangible results.
WHAT WILL MAKE YOU STAND OUT
- Experience working with Customer Data Platform (we use Segment) and Object-action framework.
- Experience with tools in our current warehousing stack: Apache Airflow, Snowflake, Segment, Apache Kafka/Confluent, dbt, Looker.
- Experience with Segment ecosystem – Protocols, Personas, Journeys, Functions.
- Experience in protecting users’ privacy and familiarity with GDPR & CCPA.
- Comfort with containerization technologies: Docker, Kubernetes, etc.
At Codecademy, we are committed to teaching people the skills they need to upgrade their careers. Codecademy aims to educate a richly diverse demographic of users with our product and in order to accomplish this, we believe our team should reflect that rich diversity. Our company celebrates diversity in all of its forms– race, gender, color, national origin, marital status, sexuality, religion, veteran status, age, ability, disability status– and works to create an inclusive workplace where people of all backgrounds and beliefs are empowered to better their futures.
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
At Codecademy, we are committed to teaching people the skills they need to upgrade their careers. Codecademy aims to educate a richly diverse demographic of learners with our product and in order to accomplish this, we believe our team should reflect that rich diversity. Our company celebrates diversity in all of its forms– race, gender, color, national origin, marital status, sexuality, religion, veteran status, age, ability, disability status– and works to create an inclusive workplace where people of all backgrounds and beliefs are empowered to better their futures.