Square (501+ Employees, 60% 2 Yr Employee Growth Rate)
Risk Engineering works to protect Block and our customers from fraud and payment disputes. We keep our customers safe while tens of billions of dollars flow through Block annually. To do this, we build systems to automatically detect and respond to potential fraud threats, provide outstanding tools to agents for investigating fraud events, and give our customers seamless web and mobile experiences to manage and fight payment disputes. Our mission is to protect Block, protect our customers, and make a complicated and sometimes painful process understandable to all.
As a Software Engineer on Risk Infrastructure, you will design, build, and own foundational services which improve Risk’s overall decision-making. You will work with other software engineers and machine learning engineers to enable state-of-the-art model training and evaluation platforms, a unified abstraction for feature data, and a common API to access Risk’s decision services. If you love delivering software that improves efficiency and productivity of others, we want to work with you!
- Work with teams across Block to develop new features and improve existing processes.
- Build systems that manage customers’ sensitive data and hold Block to the highest standards for security and compliance
- Design fault-tolerant systems so the team can be brave, move fast, and break things, without ever showing a negative impact to customers
- 4+ years of industry engineering experience
- Interest in working full-stack across multiple technical domains, including backend microservices and customer-facing tools
- Passion for managing a project from end to end – working with product managers to determine requirements, writing the design doc, building the code and writing unit tests.
- Data-oriented mindset: you want your work to be measurable and impactful
- Customer empathy: you understand your customers’ requirements
- Interest in working in a modern development environment using the latest DevOps technologies
- Software development skills and computer science fundamentals
Technologies we use and teach:
- Java, Guice
- Ruby on Rails, Ember
- AWS Suite, including S3, Lambda, EC2, Kinesis, Sagemaker, and DynamoDB
- MySQL, jOOQ
We’re working to build a more inclusive economy where our customers have equal access to opportunity, and we strive to live by these same values in building our workplace. Block is a proud equal opportunity employer. We work hard to evaluate all employees and job applicants consistently, without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, pregnancy, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, citizenship, or any other legally protected class.
We believe in being fair, and are committed to an inclusive interview experience, including providing reasonable accommodations to disabled applicants throughout the recruitment process. We encourage applicants to share any needed accommodations with their recruiter, who will treat these requests as confidentially as possible. Want to learn more about what we’re doing to build a workplace that is fair and square? Check out our I+D page.
Additionally, we consider qualified applicants with criminal histories for employment on our team, assessing candidates in a manner consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
We want you to be well and thrive. Our global benefits package includes:
- Healthcare coverage
- Retirement Plans
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Wellness perks
- Paid parental leave
- Paid time off
- Learning and Development resources
Block, Inc. (NYSE: SQ) is a global technology company with a focus on financial services. Made up of Square, Cash App, Spiral, TIDAL, and TBD, we build tools to help more people access the economy. Square helps sellers run and grow their businesses with its integrated ecosystem of commerce solutions, business software, and banking services. With Cash App, anyone can easily send, spend, or invest their money in stocks or Bitcoin. Spiral (formerly Square Crypto) builds and funds free, open-source Bitcoin projects. Artists use TIDAL to help them succeed as entrepreneurs and connect more deeply with fans. TBD is building an open developer platform to make it easier to access Bitcoin and other blockchain technologies without having to go through an institution.
We believe the economy is better when everyone has access. When everyone has room to grow. No one should be left out because the cost is too great or the technology too complex. So we’re building easy tools to empower and enrich people. Tools that shorten the distance between having an idea and making a living from it—because we believe in fair and square. We started with a little white card reader but haven’t stopped there. Our new reader helps our sellers accept chip cards and NFC payments, our Cash app lets people send money instantly, and we’re building easy tools for customers, too. We’re empowering the electrician to send invoices, setting up the food truck with a delivery option, helping the clothing boutique pay its employees, and giving the coffee chain capital for a second, third, and fourth location. We’re here to help sellers of all sizes start, run, and grow their business—and helping them grow their business is good business for everyone.