Square (501+ Employees, 60% 2 Yr Employee Growth Rate)
The Machine Learning Engineering organization at Cash App is responsible for the production implementation of machine learning use cases throughout Cash App, as well as data and ML infrastructure to accelerate the work of our modelers and data scientists. Our team has grown rapidly, and we’re looking for our first Technical Program Manager (TPM) to help build bridges, create durable project structures, and align responsibilities and priorities between the MLE teams and their product and infrastructure team counterparts. In this role, you’ll have the opportunity to gain exposure to many cutting-edge domains of ML and understand how machine learning is applied in a diverse set of financial contexts to redefine the world’s relationship with money.
Cash App has fully embraced remote work, and you’re free to work in-office, hybrid, or fully remote for this role – you choose whatever works best for you. This position reports to our Head of Applied Machine Learning.
- Work closely with MLE and infrastructure teams to facilitate collaborations, assemble and align stakeholders on each team, and resolve cross-functional dependencies
- Help shape the prioritization and technical roadmap of our common ML infrastructure
- Advise senior leadership on product direction as well as available technologies and resources
- Be an ambassador for Machine Learning around the company, spreading knowledge of the possibilities of ML and our team’s capabilities to a wide audience
- A degree or related experience in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or another technical or scientific field. A graduate degree or hands-on ML experience is a plus
- Experience managing industry-scale cross-functional technical projects, including at least one project involving machine learning, artificial intelligence, data engineering, or a related discipline
- Experience with large scale software architecture is a strong plus
- Fun generating a presence for ML around the organization and in the industry
We’re working to build a more inclusive economy where our customers have equal access to opportunity, and we strive to live by these same values in building our workplace. Block is a proud equal opportunity employer. We work hard to evaluate all employees and job applicants consistently, without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, pregnancy, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, citizenship, or any other legally protected class.
We believe in being fair, and are committed to an inclusive interview experience, including providing reasonable accommodations to disabled applicants throughout the recruitment process. We encourage applicants to share any needed accommodations with their recruiter, who will treat these requests as confidentially as possible. Want to learn more about what we’re doing to build a workplace that is fair and square? Check out our I+D page.
Additionally, we consider qualified applicants with criminal histories for employment on our team, assessing candidates in a manner consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
Block, Inc. (NYSE: SQ) is a global technology company with a focus on financial services. Made up of Square, Cash App, Spiral, TIDAL, and TBD, we build tools to help more people access the economy. Square helps sellers run and grow their businesses with its integrated ecosystem of commerce solutions, business software, and banking services. With Cash App, anyone can easily send, spend, or invest their money in stocks or Bitcoin. Spiral (formerly Square Crypto) builds and funds free, open-source Bitcoin projects. Artists use TIDAL to help them succeed as entrepreneurs and connect more deeply with fans. TBD is building an open developer platform to make it easier to access Bitcoin and other blockchain technologies without having to go through an institution.
We believe the economy is better when everyone has access. When everyone has room to grow. No one should be left out because the cost is too great or the technology too complex. So we’re building easy tools to empower and enrich people. Tools that shorten the distance between having an idea and making a living from it—because we believe in fair and square. We started with a little white card reader but haven’t stopped there. Our new reader helps our sellers accept chip cards and NFC payments, our Cash app lets people send money instantly, and we’re building easy tools for customers, too. We’re empowering the electrician to send invoices, setting up the food truck with a delivery option, helping the clothing boutique pay its employees, and giving the coffee chain capital for a second, third, and fourth location. We’re here to help sellers of all sizes start, run, and grow their business—and helping them grow their business is good business for everyone.