Grammarly (501+ Employees, 105% 2 Yr Employee Growth Rate)
Grammarly is excited to offer a remote-first hybrid working model. Team members can work primarily remotely in the United States, Canada, Ukraine, Germany, Poland, and Portugal. Conditions permitting, teams will meet in person a few weeks every quarter at one of Grammarly’s hubs, currently in San Francisco, Kyiv, New York, Vancouver, and Berlin, or in a shared workspace in Krakow.
Please note our Kyiv hub is currently closed, and we hope the time comes soon when our team can meet again there. We continue to provide support to our Ukraine team members displaced within and outside of Ukraine.
Grammarly empowers people to thrive and connect, whenever and wherever they communicate. Every day, 30 million people and 30,000 teams around the world use our AI-powered writing assistant. All of this begins with our team collaborating in a values-driven and learning-oriented environment.
To achieve our ambitious goals, we’re looking for a Back-End Software Engineer to join our Payments team. This role will have an impact on the company’s international growth. We are building a new, scalable, and secure payments platform that will advance our monetization capabilities and enable us to natively support the global markets and provide a seamless customer experience.
Grammarly’s engineers and researchers have the freedom to innovate and uncover breakthroughs—and, in turn, influence our product roadmap. The complexity of our technical challenges is growing rapidly as we scale our interfaces, algorithms, and infrastructure. Read more about our stack or hear from our team on our technical blog.
As a Back-End Software Engineer on the Payments team, you will build a high-load, distributed system and lead complex projects that will affect the company’s growth.
In this role, you will:
- Participate in and lead the company’s critical initiatives.
- Design and build complex architecture for high-load and scalable services.
- Collaborate across multiple teams to build features for our consumer and business products.
- Integrate and adopt new payment methods and providers to increase customer reach and conversion.
- Build the new monetization and product-packaging options and flows to unlock B2B opportunities.
- Help manage payments risk and fraud.
- Build useful tools for billing and payments configuration and automation to reduce the operational costs and unblock the internal users.
We’re looking for someone who
- Embodies our EAGER values—is ethical, adaptable, gritty, empathetic, and remarkable.
- Has solid experience in back-end development, ideally using Java or other JVM languages, and multithreading.
- Brings strong software-engineering fundamentals, including knowledge of algorithms and data structures.
- Has experience building, deploying, and debugging production systems at scale.
- Has some experience with AWS or other cloud offerings (GCP, Azure, etc.).
- Is fluent in engineering best practices: code review, test coverage, and monitoring.
- Is excited about finding an optimal solution in situations of uncertainty.
- Enjoys fast-paced delivery and a consistent feedback loop.
- Cares about the end-user experience and strives to ensure high quality.
Support for you, professionally and personally
- Professional growth: We hire people we trust, and we give team members autonomy to do their best work. We also support professional development with training, coaching, and regular feedback.
- A connected team: Grammarly builds a product that helps people connect, and we apply this mindset to our own team. We have a highly collaborative culture supported by our EAGER values. We also take time to celebrate our colleagues and accomplishments with global, local, and team-specific events and programs.
- Comprehensive benefits: Grammarly offers all team members competitive pay along with a benefits package encompassing superior health care (including mental health benefits). We also offer support to set up a home office, ample and defined time off, gym and recreation stipends, and more.
We encourage you to apply
At Grammarly, we value our differences, and we encourage all—especially those whose identities are traditionally underrepresented in tech organizations—to apply. Grammarly is an equal opportunity company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, national origin, citizenship, age, marital status, veteran status, disability status, criminal prosecution, judgment in a criminal case, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Please note that Grammarly’s COVID-19 vaccination policy requires that all team members in North America be vaccinated against COVID-19 to meet in person for Grammarly business or to work from a North America hub location. It is expected that this will be a requirement for this role. Qualified candidates in North America who cannot be vaccinated for medical reasons or because of a sincerely held religious belief may request a reasonable accommodation to this policy. For Europe, this policy requires team members to be vaccinated or produce a daily negative COVID-19 test administered on-site to work from the hub or attend in-person meetings.