- First Week: You will learn about Column’s mission and vision and begin meeting other folks on the team. We’re a small company that’s growing quickly, so interpersonal rapport is essential.
- First Month: You will gain domain knowledge on data utility up to the point where you can draw from your technical experience to execute on projects with defined goals and pieces. You will engage in cross-functional conversations to provide an engineering perspective on how we can make better, informed decisions about our product roadmap and objectives.
- First Six Months: You will engage in exploratory projects to prove a number of theses we have regarding the value of the data we’re handling and the expected demand for it. You will collaborate with our Engineering Manager to advocate for best practices and approaches to build a technical team of consequence. You will become a source of technical expertise for the rest of the growing team to rely upon. You will lead the execution of major features end-to-end for customers and partners. You will serve as an active mentor and invest in the career growth of fellow and more junior software engineers.
- First Year: You will help build out a performant, highly available, scalable, and maintainable data platform and API. You will be an impactful early member of an R&D engineering team at a rapidly growing tech start-up that believes we have the potential to be a once in a generation company.
Our Ideal Candidate
- You’re looking for a remote-first role working with wildly talented people who deeply care about their impact on local communities
- You have experience as a professional software engineer working on cross-functional teams with product managers and designers
- You have a strong engineering background in a technical field such as Computer Science, Mathematics, Software Engineering, Physics, or Data Science
- You want to be a part of a team that prioritizes strong interpersonal communications skills and a continuous feedback culture
- You thrive in a dynamic environment with rapidly evolving objectives and sometimes ambiguous requirements where you make decisions autonomously and with minimal supervision
- You’re a business-focused technologist who gets excited not only about solving technical challenges, but also about being close to the business and go-to-market strategies
- You have a strong desire to exemplify our operating principles — be worthy of trust, do work that matters, never stop learning, intentionally build community, and tell a better story
- You have grit and really want to work with us — if you do not resemble our ideal candidate, tell us why you’d still be a great fit for this role in an optional cover letter
Compensation and Benefits
Column is built on the belief that important information should be accessible to the public. As such, we work hard to model this behavior for potential Columnists by including our base compensation in all job descriptions and making our full benefits accessible online.
- For US-based candidates, we offer a base salary of $120,000 per year (Software Engineer II) up to $180,000 per year (Senior Software Engineer), plus a meaningful equity stake and 401k plan with a 5% match
- For candidates outside of the US, we use a market multiplier and 12-month trailing conversion rate to convert base salary into local currency. We also offer a meaningful equity stake and retirement plans relevant to the country (e.g., pension plan in UK).
- In addition, all Columnists receive healthcare, vision, & dental coverage for them and their dependents
- Unlimited (and encouraged) paid time off with suggested 15-day minimum and 16-weeks paid parental leave
- Multiple stipends for you to invest in a home office setup and pursue wellness activities that make you feel healthy and whole
Column is the first collaborative public notice platform helping publishers, governments and legal services work together to inform their communities. We are a remote-first public benefit corporation with an in-person headquarters in Miami, FL.
To us, people are everything. Our current Columnists are wildly talented people from around the globe. We support and challenge each other. We address real problems that people face in their communities. We believe that we have the potential to be a generational company that will change the world as we know it. Will you join us?