Vital Software (51-200 Employees, 233% 2 Yr Employee Growth Rate)
We are looking for Intermediate, Senior, and Staff Engineers to join our remote-first team, in a New Zealand & US-friendly timezone. You will be working on products to improve the healthcare experience for millions of patients and care teams.
Vital builds software for care teams & patients, with a focus on the Emergency Room (ER) experience. We use AI/ML to transform the care experience, increase patient & staff satisfaction, and increase revenue for our clients.
We provide hospitals with a modern UI and AI layer, which we are able to deploy within a matter of days.
There are more than 140 million visits to the ER every year in the US. Our mission is to improve the healthcare experience for these patients.
Vital + Engineering
- The Product Engineering team is responsible for maintaining and developing our customer-facing products, and internal tools that support them.
- We build and maintain features using a modern, serverless stack. All of our infrastructure rests within the AWS cloud, with our preference being AWS Managed Services, allowing our engineers to build products rather than maintain servers. Our products consist of mobile web applications (React + GraphQL) backed by DynamoDB, Cognito, and TypeScript Lambdas. We ingest millions of events from core healthcare systems using Rhapsody Integration Engine, TypeScript Lambdas and Kinesis.
- We focus primarily on TypeScript as our programming language of choice. We can teach you the languages, and the paradigms we prefer, as part of your journey at Vital.
- Code is deployed to production via CI/CD multiple times every day,, with multiple layers of automated testing and code analysis in place. We prefer to catch potential issues as early as possible, so we continuously invest in our Developer Experience tooling.
- Engineers build, maintain, and support shared services. As such, all of our engineering team (yes, including leadership) participate in our on-call roster.
- Work is prioritized using a Kanban approach, and we constantly improve our approach & methodology as needed. Features are launched in phased approaches, following validation with our end users.
- Our team have adopted asynchronous communication as our preferred form of working together. We eschew unnecessary meetings, write documentation, draft idea documents, and utilize the Slack “Do Not Disturb” functionality.
Vital + You
- We’re looking for great engineers. A great engineer doesn’t need to necessarily have experience with technologies we use, we can teach that. Curiosity and drive are important, as every day you’ll constantly be improving and learning.
- Some work experience from previous roles is required. We’re looking for engineers that have had the highs and lows of success and failure. Failures are often full of good lessons, we want you to bring these lessons to Vital.
- This role requires canny and innovative software design. A strong mathematical foundation is important, along with a Computer Science background. A university, polytechnic, or college qualification is a good indication but we are flexible for a candidate with strong fundamental knowledge.
- You’ll be making important decisions on a regular basis. We’ve got a good support structure of leads and software architects to assist with the hard ones. Our preference is for pragmatism, rather than idealism.
- Communication is important, especially in a remote-first team. You need to be proficient in English, both written and verbal.
- Grow your skills! We will provide you with opportunities to grow professionally, and we expect you to contribute positively to our team, tools, and processes
- We’re working on problems which have a real impact on people’s lives. When we succeed, patients get better care.
- Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion are important to us. Every team member must abide by our shared code of conduct. We believe this approach will help us attract and grow a diverse bunch of talented people that are supportive, calm, clear, empathetic, and results-oriented.
- We prefer working smarter, not longer. You’re not expected to put in wild hours, that’s just not what we do.
- You’ll get a competitive salary.
- We’re constantly improving our systems and processes, and you’ll be expected to continue to shape this as we journey together.
We also provide great benefits to our team:
- Every team member at Vital gets to share in our success in the form of stock options.
- Four weeks of annual leave for our team, ensuring you can take vacations as you need.
- We provide paid leave for new parents.
Hiring @ Vital
Does this role and organisation seem like a good opportunity for you? If so, have a read of our code of conduct, then fill out an application. Once we’ve received your application, we’ll send through some technical challenges and puzzles for you to work through in your own time (they shouldn’t take too long to complete). From there, we will be in touch.
If you qualify for a role at Vital, we’ll invite you to a round of interviews. There are three stages to our interview process, as follows:
- Culture & Screening. This is where you introduce yourself, and we introduce ourselves and the company, explaining what we’re about, why we’re doing what we’re doing, and the type of person we’re looking for.
- Technical. This is where we’ll sit with you to talk about technical problems relevant to the role you’re applying for, looking to see if you can demonstrate the skills required to fulfil the role.
- Executive. This is where you get to meet our leadership team and ask questions about the company and its founders/leadership team.
Interviews for this role will total about 2 hrs 45 minutes. We are committed to providing all candidates with constructive feedback during this process.
Vital was founded with the goal of providing modern healthcare software to providers and patients everywhere, regardless of identity or circumstances. We’re striving to build a diverse and inclusive team who are equally as passionate about our mission as we are – that being said, if you are excited about improving healthcare and patient experiences, but don’t think you tick every box in our job ad, please still consider applying – we’d love to hear from you.
Vital is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to building a diverse and inclusive culture and celebrate authenticity. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, marital status, disability, or any other legally protected characteristics.