Cockroach Labs (201-500 Employees, 186% 2 Yr Employee Growth Rate)
Databases are the beating heart of every business in the world.
Cockroach Labs is the team behind CockroachDB, an open source, distributed SQL database. In addition to the open source version of the DB we are proud to present our self-service, fully managed cloud offerings of CockroachDB with Dedicated and Serverless options. We aim to build infrastructure that keeps pace with the world, so developers can focus on what matters most: building the best products. Join us on our mission to enable every developer to build world-changing applications.
About the Role
At Cockroach Labs, we strive to deliver delightful and intuitive user experiences to our customers. Creating such experiences that make data easy and painless is critical to our mission. We are looking for frontend software engineers to make these critical contributions to CockroachDB and our cloud offerings, create user interfaces that give users effortless observability into their database, and improve our frontend infrastructure and tooling.
Our customers range from individual developers all the way to the largest companies in all kinds of spaces, like financial services, video streaming, retail, and gaming. As a database platform, CockroachDB Cloud is built for developers, so being frontend-focused also means being passionate about developer experience.
In this role, you bring your expertise and commitment to excellence to collaborate with other engineers, SREs, and our product and design teams, as we work together to give developers a platform for their data. You will also have the opportunity to make a significant impact by helping establish the culture and practices for frontend engineering at Cockroach Labs.
- Build and deploy elegant solutions to complex UI challenges that our customers face when provisioning and managing their databases through our cloud offerings and operating large CockroachDB clusters on-premise.
- Contribute to the growth of CockroachDB as a consumer product by designing, building, and testing compelling systems with a focus on the frontend.
- Make CockroachDB highly observable by transforming large and complex sets of data into sophisticated visualizations that give developers the insights they need to diagnose issues and monitor performance.
- Develop in React/TypeScript on the client side and Go on the server side, but if you don’t know them you’ll learn while you’re here.
- Collaborate with Product, Design, and Engineering to create strategic customer value.
- Evolve our design system and frontend enablement processes to facilitate collaboration between engineering, design, marketing, and other stakeholders.
In the first month you will join your engineering team and start to learn about our production systems, software development workflow, the architecture of CockroachDB, and how our users interact with our offerings. We believe that it’s essential for you to take this first month to become familiar with our technology, company, and our culture.
After 3 months you’ll be a fully-fledged member of your team and comfortable contributing to CockroachDB’s frontend ecosystem and relevant backend components. You will begin to determine the parts of our product that most interest you and work with your manager to focus your efforts on projects that align with those areas and our goals.
As our team grows you will have the opportunity to shape the direction of development for the ergonomic web experience of CockroachDB. We want to eliminate the headaches of database operations for our users and you play a crucial role in making CockroachDB a joy to use. We also offer technical training and experienced mentorship to help you learn and grow into whatever you wish it to be.
- A passion for building beautiful, intuitive, and responsive user experiences that help people succeed at their jobs.
- Experience implementing user interfaces using tools like React, Redux, Vue.js, or Angular.
- An understanding of how to build cross-browser compatible experiences with seamless design patterns for complex UIs.
- Experience building collaborative relationships with your colleagues. You enjoy being part of the code review process and partnering with your teammates on challenging problems.
- Ideally 5+ years of relevant experience as a developer in a product-focused role but the number of years matters less than the work you’ve done and the mindset you bring.
- A BS in Computer Science or equivalent experience.
Duoc Nguyen – Director of Engineering
Duoc leads the Cloud & Developer Experiences team at Cockroach Labs. Previously, he spent years building consumer and entertainment experiences for products like Xbox and Hulu. It might not have been an obvious next step to then join a database company, but he was drawn to the people, culture, and opportunity to build a platform that enables developers to focus on bringing their ideas to life (vs worrying about how to scale their database). Outside of work, you’ll find Duoc absorbed in a book, playing music, or engaged in sport–all to balance out the craziness of learning #HowToDad. He is grateful to be at a company where this balance is both encouraged and supported.
Jordan Lewis – Director of Engineering
Jordan is responsible for the group of teams that develop and maintain CockroachDB’s SQL layer. He’s been around since 2016, when he joined Cockroach Labs as an engineer, and has been involved with a wide variety of CockroachDB development projects. He’s also heavily involved in the CockroachDB community and has a Friday Twitch stream which features live CockroachDB development. Jordan lives in Brooklyn where he was also born and raised. Outside of work he enjoys bike riding, hiking, Spikeball, and ever so slowly trying to learn the Irish flute.
- 100% health insurance coverage (for you and your dependents!)
- Paid parental leave (with baby bucks)
- Flex Fridays
- Flexible time off & flexible hours
- Education reimbursement
- Relocation support or home office allowance if remote
Cockroach Labs is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer building a diverse and inclusive workforce. If you need additional accommodations to feel comfortable during your interview process, please email us at [email protected]