Dell Technologies (501+ Employees, 8% 2 Yr Employee Growth Rate)
Software Systems Principal Engineer – Remote, US
Our Software Systems Engineering team ensures that our customers have the software systems they need for a changing world. Working at the cutting edge, we design and deliver software systems modifications as well as enhancements of new products. We oversee product development at all stages: planning, designing, developing and testing operating systems, compilers, routers, utilities, databases, embedded management and control devices, plus internet-related tools.
As a member of DELL’s E-Lab team, you will contribute to the security testing, qualification and certification of DELL software and hardware solutions. You will be responsible to install various operating systems, adapters, updates, configure hosts and tools within a NAS/SAN with multiple storage arrays. You will also integrate software from DELL and verify data security and vulnerability. As part of security integration, you will be responsible to develop and execute test suites, analyze the results, report their findings, and achieve resolution for any failed results. Duties may include developing and documenting best practices, generating product documentation, installing and administering multiple systems/environments and debugging and documenting issues found in product documentation.
Join us to do the best work of your career and make a profound social impact as a Software System Principal Engineer on our E-Lab Engineering team in Massachusetts.
What you’ll achieve
As a Software System Principal Engineer, you will be responsible for:
Working in a team, cross functionally, and with other business units and partners as required, guaranteeing delivery of best in breed secured solutions, test execution and documenting actions/results from test activities. Develop and execute a test plan including test cases and lab configurations. Participate in test functionality review meetings.
Troubleshoot test failures to determine if the issue is a test, product or integration. Develop/document best practices on DELL and other product solutions. Install and administer multiple systems/environments. Debug as well as document issues found in product documentation. Mentor junior engineers.
- Conduct threat modeling, architecture review, security code review, security assessment, penetration testing (web application, native application, web services, cloud-based services, and infrastructure assessments).
- Participate in evaluating secure design strategies to identify and recommend improvements to potential security design problems
- Automate test cases using our test framework
- Develop and execute test plans based on product release roadmaps
- Report testing status to Management & Cross functional team members as requested
- Investigate product, script and environment issues
- Maintain the Security Testing Tools and data results
- Investigate new technologies relevant to testing the product
- Perform Proof of Concept for Security features working closely with the engineering teams and proactively follow through to successful implementation in the product.
- Work with Qualys (other)Scanning tools for extraction of data for data analytics and reporting
- Familiarity with security frameworks and best practices (e.g., (e.g. ITIL, NIST Cybersecurity Framework, MITRE ATT&CK, etc.)
- Preferred: at least one operations-specific Associate/Professional certification (e.g. MCSE, MCITP, Microsoft 365 Certified: Security Administrator Associate) and commitment to achieve a security-specific certification within six months (e.g., CISSP or CCSP) of starting date.
Take the first step towards your dream career
Every Dell Technologies team member brings something unique to the table. Here’s what we are looking for with this role:
- Knowledge of commonly used equipment, concepts, practices, and procedures within Data Center Operations
- Network proficiency design, implement and administer
- Experience programming with one or more of the following languages – C#,C++, Java, Python, Shell scripting, BASH, PowerShell
- Good understanding of cryptography standards
- Experience with web application scanning tools (e.g. Static / Dynamic, Interactive, etc.) including Qualys WAS, Appspider, Acutenitx, Veracode, Burp Suite, Netsparker, OWASP Zap, Checkmarx, Whitesource, Snyk or similar
- Strong written and oral communication and collaboration skills, ability to collaborate effectively in team, across team and with management and other disciplines
- Strong understanding of security exploits and vulnerabilities
- Knowledge of technology and security topics including network and ap plication security (OWASP), infrastructure hardening, security baselines, web server, and database security.
- 8+ years of overall technical experience
- Bachelors or equivalent in EE/CE/CS
Here’s our story; now tell us yours
Dell Technologies helps organizations and individuals build a brighter digital tomorrow. Our company is made up of more than 150,000 people, located in over 180 locations around the world. We’re proud to be a diverse and inclusive team and have an endless passion for our mission to drive human progress.
What’s most important to us is that you are respected, feel like you can be yourself and have the opportunity to do the best work of your life — while still having a life. We offer excellent benefits, bonus programs, flexible work arrangements, a variety of career development opportunities, employee resource groups, and much more.
We started with computers, but we didn’t stop there. We are helping customers move into the future with multi-cloud, AI and machine learning through the most innovative technology and services portfolio for the data era. Join us and become a part of what’s next in technology, starting today.
You can also learn more about us by reading our latest Diversity and Inclusion Report and our plan to make the world a better place by 2030 here.
Dell is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at Dell are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, national, social or ethnic origin, sex (including pregnancy), age, physical, mental or sensory disability, HIV Status, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, marital, civil union or domestic partnership status, past or present military service, family medical history or genetic information, family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. Dell will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. Dell encourages applicants of all ages. Read the full Equal Employment Opportunity Policy here.